318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
1997 manual 318TI M...
Yesterday 09:38 AM
Last post by angwydwagon
Yesterday 09:38 AM
0 Replies, 232 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,311,949 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-29-2005, 04:31 AM   #46
J!m

Vehicles

You know what, I'd like a Nissan Skyline.

It's neither BMW nor Honda, but it IS an in-line six, all-wheel-drive, and kicks A$$.

(the proverbial rock at the hornet's nest...)

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:09 AM   #47
bluebastion

Jim, I saw one here in Columbia, SC last summer.... in the parking lot of PetSmart.... right as the owner came out of his car. I was like, "Is this what I think it is..." and he said, "yes..." Then proceeded to tell me how he got the car shipped over here from Japan, piecemeal. Then he put it together, and wallah!.. He's from Cali, and apparently the car before the Skyline was an M5... he sold it because he was spending 75 bucks a week on gas. Go figure....

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35...on/banner1.jpg
"Nothing's cut and dry in liquid."
bluebastion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 05:32 PM   #48
halek

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m
You know what, I'd like a Nissan Skyline.

It's neither BMW nor Honda, but it IS an in-line six, all-wheel-drive, and kicks A$$.

(the proverbial rock at the hornet's nest...)
my mate Tony has one, it's a R33 GTS (2 wheel drive, single turbo) but still runs 400bhp & handles beautifully.

Old 12-30-2005, 05:36 PM   #49
cali-ti
aka Stabby

must be because of the big wing

kinda like those rims, any idea what they are?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 05:51 PM   #50
halek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
kinda like those rims, any idea what they are?
I'll find out, I know he had problems finding the correct offset for the car
Old 12-30-2005, 07:53 PM   #51
needle332rur

Honestly i have nothing against Jap cars, They really have a lot going for them, but i hate a portion of the scene that mostly Jap cars, F and F, street racing, and the whole Drifting thing created.

Two of my best friends have STI's Both coilovers, wheels, all the "mature" mods. The guys who tuned one of them said its the fastest stock turbo STI they have ever worked with. He made 345 lbs of torque and 340 Hp at the wheels.

Then two other guys that i AutoX with, one has a lancer evo8 and other has a STI, they both go back and forth for the fastest times ever autoX every weekend.

so i do like Jap cars... I'll admit
needle332rur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:10 PM   #52
aceyx

Quote:
it's the complete package that i'm interested in.
I agree with Eric here; Honda is, and always will be a motor company. BMW on the other hand, builds "Driving Machines."

The majority of Japanese and American domestics are great for long, straight roads, but more often than not, you're going to have to turn at some point. To me, the turns are where the kicks are, both on a bike and in a car. I have a limited amount of love for drag-racing (only top-fuel competitors pushing 1000+) and almost none for Nascar. I really think it takes little skill to push your foot down and shift gears. Add in braking, turning, and downshifting, and it really becomes an experience you might need to change your pants afterwards.

Honda has a pretty impressive racing heritage, at least in motorcycles and sedan-racing, but mostly because they have a crapton of money that they throw at R&D. Also, at least in AMA, they tend to bully the Association for rules that make it easier for them to win, where BMW and other "purist" companies are the ones winning by virtue of their machine, not the rules.

The last thing I always realize is that Honda is like a chick with a great rack, but a butterface. I just can't dig on that.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:46 PM   #53
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
The last thing I always realize is that Honda is like a chick with a great rack, but a butterface. I just can't dig on that.
LOL ... you always have these wonderful lines that crack me up!
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 12-31-2005, 12:11 AM   #54
J!m

Vehicles

Quote:
must be because of the big wing
What, you don't like the wing? You're going to HATE mine...

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:31 AM   #55
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m
What, you don't like the wing? You're going to HATE mine...
i saw the pics of the wing you're putting on and it doesn't matter what i like or don't ... but i need to see it first

Old 12-31-2005, 01:16 AM   #56
bense

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
The majority of Japanese and American domestics are great for long, straight roads, but more often than not, you're going to have to turn at some point. To me, the turns are where the kicks are, both on a bike and in a car. I have a limited amount of love for drag-racing (only top-fuel competitors pushing 1000+) and almost none for Nascar. I really think it takes little skill to push your foot down and shift gears. Add in braking, turning, and downshifting, and it really becomes an experience you might need to change your pants afterwards.
You see, that attitude right there is exactly what I truly despise. Way too many people have this strange idea that nascar and drag racing is so inferior to indy and f1 racing. Way too many peole are still stuck in the ideology that nascar is nothing a but a bunch of redneck bubbas drinking beer and stick welding 1960 v8s onto a gokart to "git-r-done" But in reality, it's several engineers doing nothing but research and coming up with ideas. Have you ever studied the history of nascar to get a better understanding of WHY these obviously smart engineers are racing around a track. Do you have any idea how difficult it would be to win a race where just about everyone has identical ti's. Imagine if every single one of us on this site was given a bone stock 318ti and put on a oval track. Who do you think would win? It then becomes a drivers race because everyone is driving equal cars.

F1 and indy cars cover every aspect of racing. brakes (decelleration), engine and transmission (acceleration), suspension (handling), frame structure, aerodynamics, etc.

where as drag racing is the specializing of acceleration
nascar is the specialization of durability frame structure, and other things, it may not be as advanced as f1 cars. But think about how many characteristics of passenger cars are derived from f1 research. None of us drive open wheel roadsters that are under 3 feet tall, with radically short stroke motors (50-60mm) that rev to 18,000. Guess how much R&D on passenger vehicles comes from nascar?

NASCAR plays a very important role in the engineering of every car. bmw, honda, etc. may not be directly involved, but i guarantee you that the R&D of americans sometimes influences the german engineers.

Yes i do think that nascar is very boring to watch, now that I've read up on what actually is going on and know of about what the engineers are really doign, I have developed a lot of respect for it. There's also another thing, it makes money. If the fans love it and if they're willing to help fund the teams by paying good money to come watch what they're doing. Then why fix it?

honda tranny (transmission, not transvestites) guru
bense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:20 AM   #57
cali-ti
aka Stabby

sorry, some of us think setting up a car for turning in only one direction is not the most advanced form of racing. we didn't say it was worthless or nothing good comes from it, just that other forms are more interesting and exciting for us to watch and in terms of the technology behind it. i can guarantee aspects of what bmw, ferrari and others learn in F1 is directly applied to their street cars. look at a ferrari, look at bmw's V10 in the new m5.

even GM doesn't put their corvette body onto a nascar ... there's a reason why.

Old 12-31-2005, 04:35 AM   #58
AlaskaBlue

Well..I agree with cali. As far as nascar developments going to street cars BMW doesn't do NASCAR obviously and does do F1. Like cali said look at paddle shifters, 7 speed transmissions, lauch control, M5 V-10, use of carbon fiber, etc.

Basically most of the F1 teams are on an equal level too (the ones that have lots of money), and the newest rules are even making them more equal. F1 drivers are generally considered to be the best in the world.

Now I live real close to Indianpolis and I have never even considered going to either the Indy or Nascar races, but I have gone to F1 on friday and saturday for 3 years now. I go because F1 is interesting. I would probably fall asleep watching even F1 carssimply go around the oval.

As far as I can tell the American car companies, especially GM are in deep trouble. Fords supercar GT has had problems leaking oil and with the security system from day one. They all make boring bad handling, poor braking cars in general. I hope that the only thing BMW is taking from American companies is what not to do.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:52 AM   #59
cali-ti
aka Stabby

there was also a chance for nascar and F1 racers to switch cars and try out the others "ride." can you guess which one was all bubbling over with excitement and which one was kinda "blah" when they were done doing some laps?

Old 12-31-2005, 06:20 AM   #60
AlaskaBlue

Oh I believe the was Jeff Gordon....with the bubbling and the excitment