318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,308,804 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 405,249 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-02-2005, 03:59 AM   #1
mightymax

Default plug wires

i have a 1998 318ti and i have looked all over the place for some spark plug wires and havent found any, and i was hoping someone could send me a site where i could find them, thanks for the help
mightymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:43 AM   #2
m44ic

yeah they are hard to find
www.performancecenter.com has nology hotwires, they are really nice
www.bavauto.com has spark wires also
hope this helps
m44ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
demeegod

I dont know about you.. .but you can always get magnecors (which are a pretty damn decent wire) for about 120.. which is much cheaper than the bavauto or nology wires and they are meant to fit perfect as well... only difference is that if you buy the 8mm blue wires (the slightly better than stock replacement) it will fit perfect... if you buy the 8.5 mm(street/race version) .. it may be mighty snug in fit and you may have to force it in there.

1996 318Ti, M Sport Edition, 19" ACE Alloy Monaco Rims, Adjustable Eibach Sportline Ground Control Coilover suspension, Shaved Door Kit, Xenon 8000k Ellipsoid HID upgrade, Pioneer Premier System, Charcoal Custom Metallic Gray Paintjob!

Future upgrades:
{ }E46 Front Bumper, { }Engine Dressup, { }Supersprint Muffler, { }Rogue Clutchstop, { }Armrest, { }UUC Evo Short Shift kit, { } Paint Touch ups, { } Custom Rear Bumper shave, { } M3 Clutch Replace and Aluminum Flywheel
demeegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:51 AM   #4
AutoM3otives

yes go with the magnecors! 8mm will fit tightly, 8.5s too big, will need to go with custom brackets. plus 8.5s are race spec, so 8s are fine.

i got my 8mm cheap (less than $80) at this site:
http://www.apexperformance.net/cartgenie/prod-603.htm
Old 03-19-2005, 01:53 AM   #5
cali-ti
aka Stabby

is blue the only color choice on the magnecors? that's a damn nice price compared with the others i've seen. hey, autom3otives, what plugs did you end up using (bosch/ngk, what part #)?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 02:35 AM   #6
AutoM3otives

blue is 8mm
if you want another color... youll end up getting 8.5mm red race spec

8.5 are too big so you might need to get custom holders for them
plus unless your engine is extremely modified you wont need them

i went with the ngks over the bosch
NGK BKR 6 EK
got them for about $2.50 a pop at pepboys

there is a higher powered version of the ngk which is used on the M models I believe but those cost significantly more, plus I don't think there is a big need for them on the M44
Old 03-19-2005, 04:43 AM   #7
cali-ti
aka Stabby

no interference issues? any noticeable gains in performance or gas mileage? cut to the correct lengths with proper ends? good/bad points of installing? the price is so good, something must be amiss!
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 03-19-2005, 05:50 PM   #8
cali-ti
aka Stabby

this looks to be a worthwhile read: http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

this also: http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/frequent.htm#17

thanks for the link on the magnecors, i'll probably be getting those when i go to replace the stock wires (wouldn't be surprised if my stock wires are breaking down now ... only 206k miles :P).

Old 03-19-2005, 10:44 PM   #9
AutoM3otives

nope everything with the wires are correct
cut to perfect lenght
has plugs and sockets on both ends
each wire has a number on them to help with install

car runs slightly smoother
gas mileage... well definitely no loss in mileage
increase could be minimal

trust me.. magnecors are the best
the price is no joke
Old 03-20-2005, 03:19 AM   #10
GDB

Magnecors have been pretty highly regarded for several years now. It's not some shade tree shop cranking out parts. Another thing to consider is that most wires work just as good as any other wires. You will not get any noticeable power gain from changing your wires (unless your old ones are just worn out). Go with the magnecors, they are great wires and will last a long time.
Member #1 Keep E46 Bumpers off E36s Club
http://www.geocities.com/guywiththebluecar/GDBsig2.bmp
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:54 AM   #11
cali-ti
aka Stabby

hehe, yeah, i was just kidding. after reading the info on their website, i've decided to go with the magnecors. it's cool to find a good product that also saves you about $100 over other replacements and which won't break down like stock carbon wires. awesome! thanks for the info

Old 06-05-2007, 03:20 PM   #12
tastade

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, is the above link (apex performance) still a good place to buy magnacor wires? I am thinking of replacing my stock wires (from 95) soon.
tastade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:47 PM   #13
marko

wow - old thread but still a valid link

hey guy, thanks for the link - I need some myself so I'll be ordering shortly.. couple of quick questions though... the description does not specify whether the set is for M44 or M42... does that matter, or are they simply the same for both motors? also, any reason you got 8mm vs. 7mm?? what size are OEM wires??

thx in adv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoM3otives View Post
yes go with the magnecors! 8mm will fit tightly, 8.5s too big, will need to go with custom brackets. plus 8.5s are race spec, so 8s are fine.

i got my 8mm cheap (less than $80) at this site:
http://www.apexperformance.net/cartgenie/prod-603.htm
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #14
HuGo

I got the blue magnecors. My car started misfiring right now on Cyl 1. Ima change the plugs hopefully thats the problem if not then i gotta go with a new set of magnecors again.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #15
haroulis

check it with an ohmmeter!
haroulis is offline   Reply With Quote