318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 99,085 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 62,014 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,286 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-20-2006, 11:29 PM   #1
gwaters

Default Recommended maintenance for my TI

Hi everyone! I just purchased a 1996 ti with 98k miles from a small auto dealer here in Brooklyn, New York. I want to bring the car in for a “check-up” to ensure things are in good working order. I called the local BMW dealer and they want to charge me $1100 for an Inspection II, more than half that for an Inspection I! I spent $4500 on the car and I think spending $1100 on a “check-up” is a bit much. Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative? Any common problems that I should be looking out for?

I found this site http://www.bimmerzone.com/inspection.htm. They seem to believe that a reasonable price for an Inspection II is $400 - $500.

Thanks in advance for the assistance!
gwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:10 AM   #2
cali-ti
aka Stabby

do you have the space and ability to do service yourself?

for sure $1100 is crazy. if you can't do the service yourself, i would try to find a good independent bmw mechanic in the area. perhaps some people from around there can help you out.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:10 AM   #3
Mothman

Vehicles

I would ask to see the last smog check results, that baby will tell all! (if you send me the results I can tell you what to look for.) Then if you know anyone with a code reader, check to see if the OBC is monitoring any past errors. If the dealer was smart he would have erased them, but you never know. Then if you look at that check list, and look at the check list you get when you go to a Jiffy Lube or other place that changes your oil, they check for the same thing! Getting your car realigned! They will check for brake fuild leaks, brake pads, etc... So tops you might spend is $70.00 for an alignement, $30.00 oil and filter change. The only thing you may have to check is the spark plugs. The rest can be check off by a tire center like Sears for a realignedment and Midas for oil change will get 95% of that check list at a 1/4 of the price. Food for thought.

Good Luck!
Mothman

Mothman

[SIGPIC]
Mothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:45 AM   #4
aceyx

Was it the dealer on the westside, something like 52nd? They're notorious for gouging.

Most of the inspection is literally inspection, just looking at problem areas with a mind towards preventative maintenance. There are a few parts that need changed, but max $100 in part costs.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:49 AM   #5
Mothman

Vehicles
Default Visual Inspections

I agree! Hummm, you may have a leak here, looks good there!" like Aceyx stated they are just looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
Was it the dealer on the westside, something like 52nd? They're notorious for gouging.

Most of the inspection is literally inspection, just looking at problem areas with a mind towards preventative maintenance. There are a few parts that need changed, but max $100 in part costs.

Mothman

[SIGPIC]
Mothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:22 AM   #6
gwaters

Yes, I received the quote from the dealer on the Westside, the one on 11th ave. People are crazy to spend $1100 on the "inspection", then probably $2000 in repairs that are not needed. Then again there are a lot of people in Manhattan with a ton of cash to spend... unfortunately I'm not one of them.

Printing the list and handing to a repair person is a great idea!

I'll try to get a copy of the smog test from the dealer. I'll send it over when I get it in hand. Thanks!!
gwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:12 AM   #7
J!m

Vehicles

I posted the inspection-II check list in the KB section...

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:40 AM   #8
davep-uk

ive just been quoted £116 for an Oil service. that was from an independant garage near me. if this about right? i dont want to get stitched up as i need some suspention work done as well. (its been 8000 miles since its last Oil service according to the service book)

'96 318ti in Montreal Blue :m-tec sideskirts,m-bootspoiler,clear corners & repeaters .m-tech side mouldings, Magnex Exhaust System, leather armrest, F-15 gear Knob, 18" Evo 2's. Not Finished Yet......

http://www.myspace.com/davep_uk
davep-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:42 PM   #9
stormos

jeez dave! thats a rip off imo. my garage only charge £80 and they check the entire car over too for any other issues aswell.

however, i am cutting back this year on funds, so plan to do it myself
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:13 AM   #10
halek

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormos
however, i am cutting back this year on funds, so plan to do it myself
Do you need a Bentley service manual Stormos?
I have a .pdf if you want it
Old 03-22-2006, 06:03 PM   #11
stormos

i got the pdf one too....

cheers bfc
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
Old 03-22-2006, 06:37 PM   #12
davep-uk

halek, i could do with that. how much for a copy?

'96 318ti in Montreal Blue :m-tec sideskirts,m-bootspoiler,clear corners & repeaters .m-tech side mouldings, Magnex Exhaust System, leather armrest, F-15 gear Knob, 18" Evo 2's. Not Finished Yet......

http://www.myspace.com/davep_uk
davep-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:36 PM   #13
stormos

free of charge i'd imagine. but you'd need some way of transfering it. its about 70 mb i think....
Old 03-22-2006, 07:48 PM   #14
halek

92mb.. PM me your address Dave & I'll post you a copy
Old 03-22-2006, 08:46 PM   #15
stormos

we need an ftp server....