318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 997,000 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-07-2005, 07:01 PM   #1
Gunnails

Default Dash controls

Below the clock there are 2 buttons on my newly purchased 96 ti California Package, one is labled S/R the other has a clock symbol, the clock one I figure is for the clock, but, I dont know how to use either.
What is the S/R button for, how do you cycle between the clock and thermometer, and how do you set the clock?
Just bought this for my 20 year old Daughter 108,000 miles good condition, 5 speed, needs front brakes, roof is slow to operate and hangs up but roof looks excellent, Body excellent, Paint has been redone and is chipping and bubling in some small areas, looks very nice at 6 feet from car, Paid $5,000, did I get burned.
Nice site, thanx in advance.
Gunnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:32 PM   #2
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Press the left stalk in to cycle through the on board computer.
S/R I think is set/reset. It's been a long time since I had one of those.
Owner's Manuals are available at the dealer and eBay.
The roof may just need to be lubed.
I don't think you got burned but is sounds like the car was in an accident.
The paint on these cars are generally very good.
Any rust or bubbling is do to poor bodywork.

Welcome to our little group.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:50 PM   #3
Gunnails

Default thanks for the quick response

this car was orriginaly from colorado, I think maybe salt roads, did a pre inspect, and the underside looked kinda white chalky in some areas, but no visible rust, bad paint job all around, lack of good prep, but I can find no indication of an accident, the door panels when you open them have not been painted and the original paint is quite dull, I think it was painted to hide the salt dammage, and the BMW undercoating must of worked, OK then S/R = set /reset, I will play with that, still the outside thermometers function has me confused push the clock button and nothing happens, or it goes into set clock mode, and maybe later out of the blue there is about 3 or 5 quick beeps and then the outside temp is displayed, and if I push the clock button, it converts back to clock mode and then I cant go back to temperture mode.

This car is cool, unique and afordable
Old 12-07-2005, 07:52 PM   #4
Gunnails

Default Lubeing roof

Would silicone spray work, or some sort of grease, or maybe just clean the trac real good?
Old 12-07-2005, 08:14 PM   #5
Severian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnails
...and maybe later out of the blue there is about 3 or 5 quick beeps and then the outside temp is displayed, and if I push the clock button, it converts back to clock mode and then I cant go back to temperture mode.
I believe S/R and the Clock button are there strictly to set the clock. Hold them both down to enter "set clock mode" and then press one of them to cycle the time and the other to lock times in.

In order to cycle the onboard computer push the turn signal stalk (left side) inward toward the steering column. It'll click and cycle the display. Hold it in for 3 seconds and it will reset what the OBC currently displays. So it'll reset your average gas mileage if you're currently displaying the MPG and you hold it in. Same thing for the average speed.
Severian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:00 PM   #6
PettitWC

the S/R button will also reset individual displays if you hold it down when they are on the little screen

ps - 20's a good age for a ti. I got mine like 2 or 3 weeks after I turned 21 and had I gotten it any earlier I think I would have done something stupid and killed somebody.

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
PettitWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:16 AM   #7
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnails
out of the blue there is about 3 or 5 quick beeps and then the outside temp is displayed, and if I push the clock button, it converts back to clock mode and then I cant go back to temperture mode.
It's a warning that roads may be icy. I think it beeps at 35F?

Is the entire car painted? If so, it's probably not from an accident; the owner may have just never washed it and left it in the sun. If it's just specific body panels, then more than likely it's been smooshed here and there.

Please post a pic of your daughter
Old 12-08-2005, 01:35 AM   #8
dodj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
In order to cycle the onboard computer push the turn signal stalk (left side) inward toward the steering column. It'll click and cycle the display. Hold it in for 3 seconds and it will reset what the OBC currently displays. So it'll reset your average gas mileage if you're currently displaying the MPG and you hold it in. Same thing for the average speed.
I have always wondered if my car has these things like fuelconsumption, I always assumed it didn't. I quickly run out to my car to try it and do not get anything happening. Do i need to be driving??

my car was made in 04/96 and it is a sport. Is there something I am doing wrong or does my car not have it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettitwc
the S/R button will also reset individual displays if you hold it down when they are on the little screen
is this information supposed to be displayed on the instrument cluster?? where the odometer reading and service lights are, or where the clock is? i'm confused
dodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:01 AM   #9
dodj

bump
Old 12-08-2005, 03:26 AM   #10
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodj
I have always wondered if my car has these things like fuelconsumption, I always assumed it didn't. I quickly run out to my car to try it and do not get anything happening. Do i need to be driving??

my car was made in 04/96 and it is a sport. Is there something I am doing wrong or does my car not have it?

is this information supposed to be displayed on the instrument cluster?? where the odometer reading and service lights are, or where the clock is? i'm confused
As for the information, it will be displayed where the clock is. To get the information so show up the car must be on. To cycle between teh various readings (MPG, temp, avg. speed, distance until empty, and time) you press the end of the left stalk on the steering column. push it towards the steering column like you are trying to push it in on itself.
Member #1 Keep E46 Bumpers off E36s Club
http://www.geocities.com/guywiththebluecar/GDBsig2.bmp
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:26 AM   #11
dodj

OK

Well I had another look today at lunch. My clock screen only has enough room for the time. There are 2 buttons H for Hour and M for minute.

Holding them both in will change from 24 hour time to AM PM.

I have tried pressing both the indicator arm as well as the window wiper arm in and nothing happens.

What do you guys reckon????
Old 12-08-2005, 06:32 AM   #12
PettitWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodj
OK

Well I had another look today at lunch. My clock screen only has enough room for the time. There are 2 buttons H for Hour and M for minute.

Holding them both in will change from 24 hour time to AM PM.

I have tried pressing both the indicator arm as well as the window wiper arm in and nothing happens.

What do you guys reckon????
i think that means you have just the clock and not the on board computer. I have a different set up so I can't really fill you in on how to work it...sorry

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
PettitWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:35 AM   #13
dodj

Thanks, hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I find this interesting, does anyone know any specifics??

isn't the on board computer responsible for all the fault codes, calculating service intervals etc....?

does anyone else not have it?? was it an option??
Old 12-08-2005, 06:45 AM   #14
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i do NOT have the OBC, but i'm not at home now and don't want to key on my car yet (new fuel lines haven't been installed - don't want the fuel pump to run). i'm sure there are others on the forum too.

the oil change interval and all that is not done by the OBC, but i'm guessing by the ECU. OBC does calculate the MPG.

i forget, what were you trying to do? does it cover the clock and such in your owners manual?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:48 AM   #15
dodj

I picked up stuff for a while about people knowing their MPG, but i never really paid much attention.

Then today i read that the OBC also tells you the temperature and average speed etc, I became curious as to wether I had it or not because i had never really looked for it and hadn't read the manual in a long time.

Ok, well i was just worried something was broken on mine, but if mine doesn't have it then everything is ok.