318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,011,992 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-20-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
kuleinc

Default S52 in 95ti?

So I bought a wrecked 95ti (its not very bad, already fixed the suspension) with S52 swap, I am getting EVAP codes. I THINK this is because the gas tank and charcoal canister are OBD1. Something about a pressure sensor is missing. The Valve near the air box just has a hose on it and is plugged. The lines coming from the gas tank to the engine bay are not hooked up to anything in the engine bay. I need this to be fixed so the light will go out and I can pass smog. Do I just need a OBD2 gas tank and canister or is it more involved? Has anyone done anything this dumb? Should I just rip everything out and put it in my OBD2 TI? It has a salvage title and the quarter panels will need to be redone AGAIN, soon. The S52 swapped car has a clean title and a clean body except for nose panel, fender and bumper...

To be clear this is NOT an OBDII to OBDI conversion, the entire harness and computer are from an OBDII car, it IS however in an OBDI car now...
kuleinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
wolferj-RIP

I saw that ti for sale, glad someone here picked it up!

I was concerned that the swap would have some OBDI-II issues, Did the previous owner get the car to a BAR referree? If not, you could run into some issues trying to smog it. I am not going to be much help, as I am an OBDI only kinda guy...
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
kuleinc

He did not, should pass smog if I can sort the evap issues...

I'd be interested in a ride in it car, I need to pick new diff and suspension, my ti has terrible combo...
68 White VW Bus Camper (Parts Bus)
71 Pink VW Bus Westfalia (The fixer upper)

Last edited by kuleinc; 03-20-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Marv17

Might be able to convert it to OBD-I by obtaining a S50 wiring harness, ECU, and a few sensors. This way you wouldn't have to connect/put together the secondary air pump.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
kuleinc

The crazy thing is the Smog pump is in and working, the battery is in the trunk, the dash computer is in and working, but he did not fix the EVAP!?
Old 03-21-2011, 05:08 AM   #6
kuleinc

I need to get some front H&R Race springs for M3 front suspension and some pads for the back and I should be good to go suspension wise. Need to refinish wheels and get some tires on them, got some LTW rims to go on the car. I've been looking at the realoem stuff and I THINK I can just put the missing sensor into the vacume lines in the back of the car, and get the canister installed in the front, and I may be good to go... time will tell... Thanks James, very impressive car.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:32 AM   #7
Marv17

The carbon canister in the coupes and sedans are located in the trunk under the spare tire. The OBD-II ti's have it in the rear driver's quarter panel.
I have the same issue with the EVAP pressure. I have hypothesized that the size of the canisters are a little different but not much. I have also recently erased the adaptions in the ECU of the M3 DME in hopes that it'll clear it out. However, i haven't checked if it has thrown the same code in 2 months yet. Ever since i did that it has idled a little better as well.
The next thing i can suggest that i will do as well is check the vaccum lines under the manifold since they might be old and leaking causes the EVAP pressure code to go off.

-Theta Chi-

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Old 03-21-2011, 06:01 AM   #8
kuleinc

I know for a FACT that my car is missing the sensor, since its OBD1 body, and the engine and DME are OBD2...

I wonder if I can just plumb the sensor into the 95ti tank stuff and plug it in? I am also missing the canister in the front, trying desperately to get it from PO along with the trunk stuff he GUTTED

You get the code even though you have the sensor?

What year is your car?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #9
Marv17

i don't think by just putting in the sensor will be that easy. you'll need the wiring harness that connects the sensor to the ECU that controls it.
i would seriously suggest just converting the S52 to a OBD-I so you won't ever have to worry about it again.
yeah, last i remember i still had the code. its something to do with the difference in pressure in the canister. i just haven't figured it all out yet.
i'm hoping i don't have the code now that i did a readaptation.
i have a 7/1997 ti, with a 8/1997 S52

-Theta Chi-

Old 03-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
kuleinc

My car has the entire harness from a 98... Have u driven the car 75 miles since clearing code? With full tank of gas?
Old 03-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
Junk

The fuel tank pressure sensor is just tee'd into the little hose that drains overspilled fuel into your tank. The charcoal canister, you want '97+ or from another E36, the obd-ii one has a valve built in it (not the valve to the intake manifold, but to the charcoal canister) The fuel tank condensation thing is also different but I forget if you can use your old one or not. I'm not sure yet where they ran the wires, my manual shows the power wire for the tank sensor spliced off the tps signal or something like that but I haven't found it so it probably connects to one of the round engine wiring connectors.
Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #12
kuleinc

I got the tank sensor, sure enough the plug for it is in my trunk, I need to plug it in and see if the code for it that won't clear, goes away...
Old 03-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #13
kuleinc

Lightbulb

Bringing home the shops Baum scanner, will see if hard code for tank sensor can be cleared, if it can, then I will plumb sensor into a hose for the tank somewhere... Wish me luck! I'll still have to fix the missing canister in the engine bay.... It's a start!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #14
Marv17

keep us updated. i'll see what else i find out too.

-Theta Chi-

Old 03-28-2011, 05:03 AM   #15
kuleinc

Before I plugged the gas tank pressure sensor in, I could not clear the code for it, it would come back immediately. Now that the sensor is plugged into the harness (not plumbed into the tank yet) I can clear the code and it does not come back immediately. I cannot drive the car to test and see if the light stays off, because my tags are expired and to renew them I need to pass smog, which means the CEL needs to stay off. I did manage to get the canister thingy from the donor M3 tonight, so we'll see how that goes. Do OBD2 cars not have a canister in the engine bay? I have the valve in the engine bay for evap, and some hoses that used to run to the OBD1 canister, not sure how it all goes to together yet, and as of now its not together at all...