318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exhausts

Notices

Exhausts Aftermarket exhaust discussions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 356,081 Views
View Poll Results: Would you spend $940.00 for Supersprint headers?
Yes, I'll give my right arm for just 1 more HP 3 15.00%
No, I'm saving up for something else 17 85.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-12-2006, 07:18 AM   #1
angel318ti

Smile Supersprint headers

Ok so i wasn't a big fan of performance until very recently. Bruise(my ti) was at the shop last week and the dumb a__es there broke my stock header bolts. So i told myself that it was a great opportunity to upgrade to something a little more beefy. I ordered today supersprint headers. by looking at the numbers they seem to be a reasonable investment. Would any of you spend the 940.00 for these headers? If not tell me why. I want to hear some opinions and if anyone has these headers already some testimonials.
angel318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:56 AM   #2
Juni

No way in hell that I would spend that much money on those headers. That money would be better spent saved to the SC funds. As for the reason I wouldn't do it, the Stock header on the ti is already very well designed. It's tubular and mandrel bent. Headers have better performance numbers for cars that have those crappy cast iron squared off type headers...like those seen in a Honda civic. Just using the simple dollar to HP equation, 1HP = $1000?!?! I would just go for the ones on ebay right now for like $200. They seem pretty well built. Just my .02
Old 02-12-2006, 08:03 AM   #3
AlaskaBlue

They were selling some supersprint replicas on ebay for pretty cheap. I would give those a try if I was in your position.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
angel318ti

I knew someone in germany that did get the replicas and he said that the cracked. thats why I rather pay more. BTW the 1HP comment isn't accurate. I didnt mean it like that. It increases somewhere around 6 to 8 HP. hey I asked for opinions wether I like them or not keep them coming. thanks
Old 02-12-2006, 10:43 AM   #5
HuGo

Jeez, i wouldnt pay that much for some headers. You want performance gain for that price 900+ you should get that stage 3 software from NickG instead from that group buy and get like 17HP instead of 6, and its like 800, so its 100 less.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:50 AM   #6
HuGo

Since the shop broke your headers, why dont you make them buy it AND THEN take the advantage and get those headers, that i agree with.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:48 PM   #7
andyman7931

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI
Jeez, i wouldnt pay that much for some headers. You want performance gain for that price 900+ you should get that stage 3 software from NickG instead from that group buy and get like 17HP instead of 6, and its like 800, so its 100 less.
better get the DASC before you get stage 3 software.
andyman7931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:34 PM   #8
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel318ti
broke my stock header bolts.
I'm confused. Do you mean the studs on the exhaust side of the header? If that's the case, just drill through the plate and use washers & bolts.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #9
weezer

Default Ebay replicas

I would buy the Ebay Replicas before buying the real thing. Our Exhaust system was very well designed and high strung in the first place. Very little gain can be had from exhaust and intake mods.
Don't get me wrong, I like headers and have used them in my previous cars (VWs and Audis) and with those cars quite a fw HP gain will result in using headers. This is because of the cast iron manifolds they are still using, so good luck with the mod and let us know and show us the results if you ever get to a dyno.

1997 318ti, Hellrot (Bright Red), Dinan Stage 2 Chip
16x7 OEM sport Wheels/X-Brace/Custom Strut Brace/Cold Air Intake/M-Tec Steering Wheel/Koni Adjustable FrontShocks/ Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks /H&R Sport Springs/Custom fabricated strut tower brace/Rear Strut brace, Stromung Exhaust
Future Mods: E46 17" wheels or Kosei K-1 17x8.5s
weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:09 PM   #10
andyman7931

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
I'm confused. Do you mean the studs on the exhaust side of the header? If that's the case, just drill through the plate and use washers & bolts.
haven't looked @ the ti's bolts, but if they're like the e30, pull the headers off, use an easy out, they unscrew with a little penetrating lube. The local parts store had a few of them for less than $1 each.
andyman7931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:18 PM   #11
cali-ti
aka Stabby

mine actually looked like they're tack welded in (the studs on the exhaust side).
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:06 PM   #12
angel318ti

Mine were the same way the guy told me they were welded and I didn't believe him until I saw it for myself. needless to say they broke. Screw it, I'm going with new ones. If I dont like them I'll just send them back. Also the reason I don't want to go with the DASC at the moment is because I have to swap the engine because my old one had a warped head. I'll like to know first what condition my new (used but new to me) one is. Maybe then I'll go with the DASC. For now I'm going with these headers out of necessity. So why not get some quality headers while I'm at it.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:30 AM   #13
angel318ti

Ok so I went with the ebay headers. I recieved them this week and I have to say that they are a lot better quality than I thought the would be. I also ordered the supersprint dual 76mm tip muffler to get rid of what someone referred to as a "fart can" that I have installed right now. I'll update you all later when I get my engine replaced and all the exhaust parts in.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:03 AM   #14
Panzer_M

cool, waiting to see what you think of them.
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:31 AM   #15
Panzer_M

Btw, Are you deleting your cat? I am thinking about it seriously(No Emissions here in Florida)
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote