318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exhausts

Notices

Exhausts Aftermarket exhaust discussions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 96,918 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 59,890 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 57,301 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 132,405 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-13-2001, 02:38 AM   #1
DougZ

Dan: I figured this would be a better forum for our exhaust coversations..poor Tgroth...lol.

Ok, I got my exhaust, and put it tonight. Not too bad. Only two bolts hold it to the rest of the exhaust. That and three hangers, pretty easy to install. I did have some trouble with where the tip goes through the rear valence. My system wanted to go against the inside of the cut out, towards the right side of the car. I had to rig it to stay more to the left. I ended up using many many zipties to pull it towards the left side, specifically, the inside tow hook mounting point. It was the only spot that looked real solid, and that I could get a zip tie around.
I will have to rig up something better soon...I was thinking of making some brackets, and using threaded rod to pull it where I want it. I hope yours goes better. Either way, looks and sounds cool. Let me know how you make out.
DougZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 02:38 PM   #2
Dan Burger

I was thinkin the same thing...we were getting off topic.

Glad you got yours on ok. Twist ties? so much for being simply a bolt on...
Did yours come with any bolts or gaskets? All I received was the exhaust with one collar to bolt to the cat. I'm trying to avoid going to a muffler shop to have it put on, but I'm not sure if i can scare up the right size bolts and a gasket. how does it sound? nice, low, and rumbly? The tip seems a bit large to me, but I think I'll get used to it. Did you notice any HP gain?

Thanks!
Dan
'95 Club Sport
Dan Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 04:51 PM   #3
DougZ

Dan, I used the zip ties just to pull the hanger, and thus the tip, away from the body of the car. It wasn't really that hard to install. There is no gasket needed, it is a slip tight fitting. I went and got new bolts, just cause mine were rusty. let me know how you make out.
Old 06-18-2001, 02:54 PM   #4
Dan Burger

Doug - got my Brospeed on! it's a little off center (from the back - it's off to the right). Looks like i'll need to get some zip ties! over all, it went pretty well - the hangers were a pain in the ass though. sounds good, looks good and I actually notice a little more torque. It's so much lighter than stock! Anyway, for the money, I'm happy. I'm already getting used to the tip size and the look of the all stainless system. I had it on less than an hour until i got the first comment/question from another enthusiast ("sounds great! what kind?") Let me know what you fabricate to get it on center. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Dan Burger (edited 06-18-2001).]
Old 06-18-2001, 05:36 PM   #5
DougZ

Dan: I had to pull mine from the right as well. For now, I still have the zip ties holding it to the tow-hook mounting location, inside the bumper. I am still getting used to the bass sound that it makes. I will let you know what I come up with when I do finally rig up a better support system.

Right now I am working on trying to find the right size oil filter cap to get off my oil filter cover. I did the fuel filter this weekend, and installed a set of Sony 5.25" speakers in the kick panel. I still need to do an oil change though.
Old 06-18-2001, 05:46 PM   #6
Dan Burger

So kickpanels are 5.25"? That good to know since my system is a little lacking (stock speakers, kenwood head + powered sub). I'd love to change the rear deck, but lord knows what they are! I'm thinking maybe a component system down the road...

So what is the problem with the oil filter? Can't get it off? Do you have the short fat filters or the tall skinny one? I have the tall skinny one and my oil cap comes off with a small oil filter wrench - it's uncomfortable, and I need to watch out for hoses, but it works fine.
Next weekend I'm tackling my oil, LSD oil, Tranny oil, and getting my micro filter changed and A/C charged. My car is going to feel like new (I hope). Still need to think about tires and suspension work - not to perf. mod., but just stay safe! I've had my Yokes on for about 35k (for Z rated, that is great.) My shocks/springs are OE and have over 82k on them - definately getting a little worn. Any thoughts on stainless brake lines? I was under there this weekend and noticed they were a little worn looking.