318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,076,341 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-13-2004, 07:48 PM   #1
lowah

Default weird noise

hi guys,
i got my 96 318ti for a couple weeks

i realized there is a weird noise when i step on the gas, especially when i want to accelerate after a turn. Also sometimes the car doesnt really go when i step on the gas, after 5-6 seconds , i think the gear shift and it starts going.

i want to know is this normal ? or something need to be fixed

thanks a lot
lowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 05:27 PM   #2
carloselloconyc

Default Noise

Hi there,
Maybe if you describe what the noise sounds like, maybe I can help, my car was taking a while to shift gears until I changed the tranny oil, now it is good.
carloselloconyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 07:23 PM   #3
bimmerboi318

does the engine rev up when you hit the gas and the car just doesnt accelerate? or does the engine actually do nothing. im assuming its an auto from your post and it may need a fluid and filter service. any other information you have about the problem may help out in identifying the problem better.

if it does need a transmission fluid and filter service...dont hesitate to get that done. it can avoid very costly repairs later. automatic transmission repairs are not fun...
others...
bimmerboi318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 05:35 AM   #4
lowah

thx guys
i think the gear problem is what "carloselloconyc" described- it takes a while to shift gears, so the car goes really slow when it starts running. Do you guys have more information on how i can fixed the problem, or change the tranny oil?

For the noise problem, it goes like "whoo, whoo". It happens when the car is running around 80-90mph, mostly on highway.

By the way, my car is 96 318ti auto
lowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 04:42 PM   #5
bimmerboi318

yeah i would look into getting the transmission fluid and filter changed. if its taking awhile to shift gears, its slipping the clutches in the transmission more than it should. this makes it wear out very fast. also, if it has an external transmission fluid cooler, have that flushed as well. just my advice. i work on chryslers and their trannys are awful (at least the older ones are) in terms of reliablitiy. but if maintained they will go for quite awhile. maintain your automatic and it will last.

im not quite sure what the sound is but it may be related to the transmission. although at 90mph my ti makes quite a bit of noises as well :-p
others...
bimmerboi318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 10:02 PM   #6
Jeff Spooner

the woo-woo could be caused by the lift pads underneath the car missing, this is worse on the 7-seies but can affect the 3 and 5 series also. there around $5 from the dealer and also keep from tearing up your skirts when put on a lift. the noise often sounds like it is coming from the top of the A-pillar.
Jeff Spooner is offline   Reply With Quote