318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
Today 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
Today 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 138 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 703 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-27-2007, 07:05 AM   #1
Marv17

Default How To Change The Automatic Transmission Fluid?

Does anyone know how to change the automatic transmission fluid? I wanna do it on my next oil change. I've done a Civic before, but am to afraid to do the BMW cuz I've always heard u need special tools or its difficult to do it. Any help would be appreciate.
(and what oil should i go with?)
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:56 PM   #2
Marv17

tryign to bring an old old post back to life. well actually started
bump-de-dump.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Old 06-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
CirrusSR22

It's more tricky than difficult.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...Fluid_Auto.htm

Here's info on checking the level, which is what you'll need to follow after it's filled.
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...0Autotrans.pdf

I'd highly suggest getting an accurate digital thermometer to do this project. Either a flexible probe one you can dip into the fluid, or a point & shoot IR gun type one. The temperature of the fluid need to be 30C to 50C when you check it. Ideally 30C.

Also make sure you have a fluid pump and quality ATF. Once you do it, you'll probably not want to do it again so you'll be glad you have good ATF in it.

The 318ti takes plain old Dexron III ATF. Any name-brand Dexron III will be just fine, but I'd probably go with a synthetic.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:56 AM   #4
mohaughn

I bought my own fluid and took the car to a local reputable transmission repair place. They charged me 85$ to drain the fluid, remove the two lower trays, replace the gaskets, clean the easily accessible things, put it all back together, and refill to the right level....

It was money well spent, versus trying to do this as a DIY on jack stands.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:13 AM   #5
Marv17

dude. i think thats what im going to do as well. i know this girl whose dad owns a shop. ill just buy everything needed and have him do it for me cuz it seems it'll take a long time for me to do it. i just dont have that kind of patience sometimes.

what brand do you guys recommend??

-Theta Chi-

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Old 06-14-2008, 04:40 AM   #6
SDKmann

WAIT! Your cars an automatic? Since when?
Old 06-14-2008, 04:51 AM   #7
CirrusSR22

That's a good idea. Changing the automatic fluid was one of the few projects I said I'd never do again when I was finished. It's incredibly messy without a lift.

Mobil 1 makes a full synthetic Dex III as does Valvoline. The Valvoline is a Dex VI which is newer and meets Dex III. I used a generic Dex III from the local Farm & Fleet. That was almost 30,000 miles ago and it's worked wonderfully for me. If you're willing to pay for synthetic, I'd so go for it, but it's not necessary.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:45 AM   #8
Marv17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKmann View Post
WAIT! Your cars an automatic? Since when?
you talking to me or mohaughn?
lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
That's a good idea. Changing the automatic fluid was one of the few projects I said I'd never do again when I was finished. It's incredibly messy without a lift.

Mobil 1 makes a full synthetic Dex III as does Valvoline. The Valvoline is a Dex VI which is newer and meets Dex III. I used a generic Dex III from the local Farm & Fleet. That was almost 30,000 miles ago and it's worked wonderfully for me. If you're willing to pay for synthetic, I'd so go for it, but it's not necessary.
yeah. i was reading every article that i could find regarding the transmission fluids but every single time i read it it sounded so difficult. the jack stands dont give much room to work with. hopefully the guy will give me a good rate...

-Theta Chi-

Old 06-14-2008, 05:51 AM   #9
SDKmann

You, I thought it was manual...
Old 06-14-2008, 05:56 AM   #10
Marv17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKmann View Post
You, I thought it was manual...
lol... hahahHAHAHhaha.... nope. its an auto. :-/ What made you think it was a manual?

-Theta Chi-

Old 06-14-2008, 06:04 AM   #11
SDKmann

Im not really sure actually, just for some reason I thought you had third pedal.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:11 AM   #12
Marv17

nope. sure don't. not yet anyway.

-Theta Chi-