318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Wheels and Tires

Notices

Wheels and Tires Discussion of different brands of tires, sizes and wheels.

» Recent Threads
1997 318ti under 5000...
10-08-2022 11:52 PM
Last post by kupkake303
06-04-2024 06:01 PM
16 Replies, 20,379 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by H4MMY
06-04-2024 07:15 AM
212 Replies, 1,324,384 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
06-01-2024 03:04 PM
7 Replies, 410,015 Views
1995 318i M42 removal of...
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
Last post by BertrandP102
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
0 Replies, 1,341 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
05-28-2024 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 3,865 Views
E30 trailing arms
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 1,351 Views
OMG!OMG!
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 1,588 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-15-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
trickiekid

Default The Most wonderful time of the year

So, the weather guys are calling for a lot of nasty winter weather tonight and tomorrow. I figured that I would finally stop BS'ing about putting on my winter tires so last night I pulled the car into the garage. I went around to loosen up the bolts before jacking it up, but damn those bolts were TIGHT. I started with the passenger rear wheel and it took me over and HOUR to pull a tire and put on the winter tires. So, my hands were a little sore after that, but I kept pressing on. I went to the front passenger wheel, and tried. I got one bolt to break free, I went on to the second bolt, but it wasn't budging. The jack was not even touching the car. So i say to myself, "I need to get this bolt off or my wife is going to give me some major ****" So I give it all I got and I actually got the tire to rotate 360 deg. I was able to spin the tire freely before the damn bolt broke free. So now, I have two bruised palms, a bruised ego (my wife thinks that I can't change a tire) and only one snow tire on. Any suggestions anyone?
trickiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Get the right tool for the job! Buy a cordless impact driver. $100 and it makes changing tires a breeze. I'm guessing the last person to tighten your lugs was probably some tire shop with their impacts set to 200 ft/lbs. FWIW - they should not be that tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickiekid View Post
So, the weather guys are calling for a lot of nasty winter weather tonight and tomorrow. I figured that I would finally stop BS'ing about putting on my winter tires so last night I pulled the car into the garage. I went around to loosen up the bolts before jacking it up, but damn those bolts were TIGHT. I started with the passenger rear wheel and it took me over and HOUR to pull a tire and put on the winter tires. So, my hands were a little sore after that, but I kept pressing on. I went to the front passenger wheel, and tried. I got one bolt to break free, I went on to the second bolt, but it wasn't budging. The jack was not even touching the car. So i say to myself, "I need to get this bolt off or my wife is going to give me some major ****" So I give it all I got and I actually got the tire to rotate 360 deg. I was able to spin the tire freely before the damn bolt broke free. So now, I have two bruised palms, a bruised ego (my wife thinks that I can't change a tire) and only one snow tire on. Any suggestions anyone?

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:14 PM   #3
trickiekid

I am going to be making a trip today to Sears to pick out an Impact gun. I used to have to torque some bolts on aircraft to 250# and those broke easier then my lugs. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
cali-ti
aka Stabby

so the full weight of the car was still on the tire and you couldn't break the lug bolt free? do you have an impact gun or know anyone with one? great for taking them off, but i would use a manual torque wrench to reinstall. you might try spraying some penetrating oil in there as well (liquid wrench, kroil, etc) and tapping them lightly (to assist the oil in penetrating the threads).
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #5
trickiekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti View Post
so the full weight of the car was still on the tire and you couldn't break the lug bolt free? do you have an impact gun or know anyone with one? great for taking them off, but i would use a manual torque wrench to reinstall. you might try spraying some penetrating oil in there as well (liquid wrench, kroil, etc) and tapping them lightly (to assist the oil in penetrating the threads).
LOL, I tried. Yeah, the full weight was on the tire, and I was spinning the wheel. I am going to get the gun today, but man i tired. I sprayed wd40 on the lugs and let it sit for a while (3 hours or so, spraying every half hour). When that didn't work, i broke out the hammer to assist. So, i have a party to go to this afternoon, i will be picking up an impact gun along the way back. Someone used some crazy gorilla strength to torque the bolts down i think.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
cali-ti
aka Stabby

as dusten said, some tool probably used an impact gun to install them and they're way too tight. you must be pretty damn strong to be turning the wheel with the full weight on the tire! impact guns provide a fast hit to break them free. trying to do that by hand with a breaker bar isn't easy. i usually stomp on it with my foot
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 12-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
1996 328ti

Vehicles

And when you swap your wheels again, use antiseize.
I found the wheel would weld itself to the hub.
Antiseize took care of that.

My Snapon impact wrench doesn't allows break lugs. I use a 1/2 breaker bar and sometimes the handle fo the jack for more torque.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:46 PM   #8
elchicano

I had to rotate my tires and at first it wouldn't budge so i gave it a good spray of WD40 those bolts came right off. I guess being able to bench 210lbs doesn't hurt haha

318ti.org on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/318tiorg/127481623988696
elchicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:05 PM   #9
aceyx

If I'm using the factory lug wrench, I have to jump while my foot is on it a few times to break the bolt free.

After that, anti-seize on the first 5 threads helped, as well as on the ring of the wheel that touches the hub (only the inner surface, not the flat part that touches the rotor).

I now use a 14" breaker bar, and it comes free quite easily.

Be sure to re-check your torque after 50 miles, as it will tend to shift. This also lengthens the life of your brake rotors.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:02 PM   #10
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

I weigh 250 and the other day when I was taking my lugs off, the front passenger was stuck on. All 5 bolts were overtorqued. I had a flat tire about a month before and the shop who replaced the faulty valve stem used an impact to tighten the bolts. I watched the guy do it, but didn't think anything of it. First I tried standing on the 4 way lug wrench and bouncing. Then I tried using a floor jack under the factory lug wrench and it lifted the whole car without breaking it loose. I finally said screw it and changed the other three wheels, then I drove down to the shop that replaced my valve stem and made the guy who tightened it take it off. He couldn't get it off with the impact so he broke out this GIGANTIC breaker bar(about 3 feet long) and did the stand and bounce technique while holding onto my shoulder for balance. Broke all 5 loose and swapped the wheel, then he tried to tighten the lugs with the impact again! I quickly grabbed the tool and traded him my 4 way. We both laughed a little. PITA!
Old 12-15-2007, 10:06 PM   #11
cali-ti
aka Stabby

and if you were stranded alongside the road trying to change a flat after someone uses an impact gun to tighten them, you'd be completely screwed! makes me want to throw an extra breaker with impact socket and extension tube into the car just in case.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:20 PM   #12
CirrusSR22

I hate shops that use impact guns. Impact tools are lame period IMO. "Give me a big enough lever and I'll move the world". I had a shop fix a flat and I couldn't get two bolts off. I had to take it back and have them loosen them. I asked them to use a torque wrench, and they used a stupid torque "stick" on the gun. Still too tight I could get them off, but still way over the 82ft-lbs. (or so) that's required.

If you torque them precisely to spec., the bolts shouldn't be very hard to get off at all. I tighten my bolts with a 1/2" drive Craftsman torque wrench, and take them off with a 1/2" drive, 16" long rachet. I only weigh 165 lbs, and it doesn't take much effort with that rachet to loosen 80-90 ft-lbs.

Cali's right. If you get a flat on the road, you're screwed. Man do I hate repair shops. Lazy crooks; all of them!
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:34 PM   #13
thesk8nmidget

i worked at walmart tire and lube a few years back and you would get written up if you used an impact to tighten up the lugs. you could use the impact to get the snug but you better not tighten them up a bunch with it.

we had to use the torque wrench on each lug then drive around the parking lot in a few circles and then drive back in and have someone else check every lug with the torque wrench. you would sign in on the computer to say you tightened the lugs and also the other person would log on to show they checked the lugs.
if any tire ever fell off both the employees would lose their job no questions asked.
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:57 PM   #14
trickiekid

Wow, thanks for all of the responses. Well, I haven't had time to do much of anything to the wheels yet. I have been in school and still working too, 14 hour days barely leaves time for family, let alone me. Well, I didn't buy the impact gun. I changed my mind, I now have a 26" breaker bar. I figure that if that doesn't work, I can take a section of DOM tubing and break those SOB's free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti View Post
and if you were stranded alongside the road trying to change a flat after someone uses an impact gun to tighten them, you'd be completely screwed! makes me want to throw an extra breaker with impact socket and extension tube into the car just in case.
This was my biggest fear. After a cold beer, I did some reflecting after some cursing and said I would have seriously screwed if I had to do this on the side of a busy highway.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #15
cali-ti
aka Stabby

btw, i mention an impact socket because my friend just broke a regular socket trying to get the wheels off his e30 325is the other day.

trickie, eat your spinach and i'm sure you'll be fine with your new tools