318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,009,522 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
Dr ///M

Default Decent sound system cost?

I dont think this has been asked before, so here it is: How much would it cost to get a DECENT sound system? Not too much stuff, just enough to make it sound premium-ish, if u know what i mean. I'm not much of an expert on this subject, so please dont get too technical . TIA.
Dr ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
thesk8nmidget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr ///M View Post
I dont think this has been asked before, so here it is: How much would it cost to get a DECENT sound system? Not too much stuff, just enough to make it sound premium-ish, if u know what i mean. I'm not much of an expert on this subject, so please dont get too technical . TIA.

500 easy for a good system.

i think to make the ti sound great you just need a few components.

sub and box-150
amp and wiring-200
front footwell speakers-50
rear deck speakers-50'

and thats for alright stuff and if your willing to buy used then less

amps can run you a good amount and used ones usually are fine.

same with the sub as long as you can hear it before you buy it.

and for the high and mid speakers buy them new since they whouldnt run you to much anyways.
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
Dr ///M

Would that include replacing all the factory speakers, because all of mine are shot.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
thesk8nmidget

do you have the 10 speaker premium system or the 6 stock?
(do you have 2 tweeters in each door or 1?)

this consists of replacing the 4 larger speakers that commonly blow out.

i havent ever had my tweeters go bad.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #5
Dr ///M

im not sure which one i have, and i cant check cuz i dont have the car with me, but its a 98 m-tech, if that helps. also from what i can tell, most or all of them are shot, but i havent checked them one-by-one.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
thesk8nmidget

usually the small speakers are a lot stronger but sometimes they blow too.

the bigger speakers will overpower the small speakers with distortion if they are blown.
try opening your door all the way to and put your ear up to the small speakers and see if they crackle at all.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:09 PM   #7
Laxpunk2006

Car audio can get pretty expensive pretty quickly.

For example I am in the middle of upgrading my sound system as well.

I have two sets of MB Quart 5 1/2's that I got for free from a friend. They were played in his Audi for a few months before he crashed it. He also gave me his JL power cables.

So far I've bought :

1 roll RAAMat sound deadener and 4 yards Ensolite foam
-roughly $200
JL 300/4v2 Amp
- $300
JL 4 Chanel RCA's
- Can't remember but I think they came out around $70 with shipping and such
JL 2 Chanel RCA's
- Again don't remember but I think $40ish
Alpine 9885
- Somewhere around $200-250 with ipod adapter/wiring harness/etc

Obviously if you remove the sound deadener it helps the budget a lot. Unfortunately the E36 is a fairly loud vehicle especially for what was once considered a luxury car. I plan to have my vehicle as silent as possible. Obviously the windows/sunroof/seals are going to let some sound in but I'd those to be the only sources.

This still isn't even a complete system. I still plan on ordering (hopefully this coming week or so) a JL 500/1v2 and whatever sub I decide to go with. I'm currently debating between a 12W6v2, 10W7, and the new 12TW5 with only a 3 inch mounting depth. So that is another 500-600$ right there.

A few questions for you. Do you plan on installing this yourself? I've been spending a few months saving up and buying my system piece by piece. This isn't the absoloute top of the line, but everything I've gotten so far is somewhat high end. I'm able to commit more money to each component because I will be installing it myself (help from a friend) and have been taking my time. If you aren't comfortorable installing the system yourself you need to budget money for the install as well.
Laxpunk2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:16 PM   #8
thesk8nmidget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxpunk2006 View Post

I have two sets of MB Quart 5 1/2's that I got for free from a friend. They were played in his Audi for a few months before he crashed it. He also gave me his JL power cables.

So far I've bought :

-roughly $200
JL 300/4v2 Amp
- $300
JL 4 Chanel RCA's
JL 2 Chanel RCA's
Alpine 9885

Obviously if you remove the sound deadener it helps the budget a lot. Unfortunately the E36 is a fairly loud vehicle especially for what was once considered a luxury car. I plan to have my vehicle as silent as possible. Obviously the windows/sunroof/seals are going to let some sound in but I'd those to be the only sources.

This still isn't even a complete system. I still plan on ordering (hopefully this coming week or so) a JL 500/1v2 and whatever sub I decide to go with. I'm currently debating between a 12W6v2, 10W7, and the new 12TW5 with only a 3 inch mounting depth. So that is another 500-600$ right there.

A few questions for you. Do you plan on installing this yourself? I've been spending a few months saving up and buying my system piece by piece. This isn't the absoloute top of the line, but everything I've gotten so far is somewhat high end. I'm able to commit more money to each component because I will be installing it myself (help from a friend) and have been taking my time. If you aren't comfortorable installing the system yourself you need to budget money for the install as well.

sounds like a good setup!

and for the choice of a w6 or w7 it depends on what you want fromt he subs.

the w6 gives a great low bass but a w7 will give that low bass and also a little more range. keep me updated on that!
Old 04-08-2008, 02:47 AM   #9
Dr ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxpunk2006 View Post

So far I've bought :

-roughly $200
JL 300/4v2 Amp
- $300
JL 4 Chanel RCA's
JL 2 Chanel RCA's
Alpine 9885

Yes, I plan on installing them myself, but i probably wont get as much stuff as you, i only want it to sound decent, basically just better than it is, and right now it sounds like rotten horse****.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:50 AM   #10
Philly

Upgrade stock speakers and if you don't mind a little hacking, mount a couple 3 or 5way 6x9's on the rear decklid and splice the wires to the exsisting rear speakers... it sounds great in my car, even can rattle the rearview if I want to have it that loud... and I did not upgrade any other speakers.
People who get in the car with me are always impressed and ask if i have subs...
You get perfect sound in the car, and you don't look and sound like a jackass to the people outside either.

but fyi, I also have a very good $500 head-unit with a gizillion settings to play with and lots of built in extras.

but even worse.... Sub + Box = Weight.. lots of it. So nice 6x9's are a good option while upgrading if you want to add some nice much needed thump.

328Ti

Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #11
Dr ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwd_king View Post
Upgrade stock speakers and if you don't mind a little hacking, mount a couple 3 or 5way 6x9's on the rear decklid and splice the wires to the exsisting rear speakers... it sounds great in my car, even can rattle the rearview if I want to have it that loud... and I did not upgrade any other speakers.
People who get in the car with me are always impressed and ask if i have subs...
You get perfect sound in the car, and you don't look and sound like a jackass to the people outside either.

but fyi, I also have a very good $500 head-unit with a gizillion settings to play with and lots of built in extras.

but even worse.... Sub + Box = Weight.. lots of it. So nice 6x9's are a good option while upgrading if you want to add some nice much needed thump.
I think that might be what i'll do. But how much did all of that cost for u, besides the head unit?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #12
StealthBimmer

What area do you live? Do you have the 10 speakers system? Let's start off there first. This way other members can help you out better and some referrals to good places.

I would say it costs about $1000 to $1500 for midrange priced equipments like new component speakers front and back, head unit and a 4 channel amp. You can buy the adapter kit to make the back speaker fit 5.25". Install it yourself to save money or pay to have it done professionally.

My Ultimate Driving Machines

BMWCCA #369516
http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/
Best MA ti meet pics
Recommended tint place
StealthBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:57 AM   #13
bigdeneen

go on ebay and scrounge for stuff .... craiglist ( locally) ect
bigdeneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:10 AM   #14
Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr ///M View Post
I think that might be what i'll do. But how much did all of that cost for u, besides the head unit?
Cost me about 45 minutes of my time and $150.00 for 6x9 Clarion 3ways... plenty of thump for what I want, which was just some decent bass, which is unattainable with the stock rear speakers....

Plus it looks damn cool if your windows arn't tinted.

Its as simple as pulling the rear cover panels off... chopping a couple wires right on the connector plug on both sides and splicing them into about 10" of wire that come off the speaker itself.

Sure, it looks a little ghetto from underneath... but who cares

328Ti

Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:26 AM   #15
Dr ///M

All right fellas, i checked it all out, and here's the deal: my car has the stock 6 speaker sound system, and as it turns out, only the two rear deck speakers are shot (luckily). So i think im just gonna replace those and probably go with rwd king's idea to juice it up a little.