318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,692 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,545 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 58,926 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-03-2002, 05:03 PM   #1
madfronter

Just recently my airbag light came on in my 97 318ti and wont turn off. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of this before. I guess I could take it to the dealer but I dont really want to get ripped off by going there and paying an unreasonable amout to shut it off.
madfronter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 06:37 PM   #2
bbnmcas

I asked my German auto mechanic about the same problem on mine. He told me that when the air bag deploys the seatbelt is tightened up. The seatbelt tightens by a partical shotgun shell being fired and pulling the seatbelt tight. (This is what my mechanic told me and he is very trustworthy) The reason the light comes on is that the connecting wire between that shell-firing system and the main computer has a short in it; most likly caused by the rubbing of the seatbelt receiver. He said he could fix it but it would require removing the seat and alot of $. Also that he could fix it but it would come on again in year or so. He checked the bag system in the dash and said its fine and not to worry about the light. Now I have a 95' so maybe it has to do with the year of the car. That is what my mechanic, that I trust very much, told me. Mind you, he could have just fixed it like I asked him and then charge me $$$ but he knew better and looked out for my financial welfare. Ask your mechanic and see what he says before you have him fix it. Good luck!
bbnmcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 10:26 PM   #3
1996 328ti

Vehicles

I don't know about artillery going off in the front seat but the two common problems have been a bad contact in the latch of the seatbelt and a more common problem is a bad passenger seat mat. I've had the passenger seat mat replaced twice on my 98 under warranty. It looks to be a PITA job.

1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 03:18 PM   #4
Dusty

I have '96 ti with the same srs/seatbelt light problem. Any ways around it? What is a PITA job?
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 10:39 PM   #5
J!m

Vehicles

I've never had any problems with mine, but yes, there is a small explosive charge that tightens the seat belt when the air bag deploys to tighten the seat belt to reduce air bag related injuries.

Not advisable to play with it, unless you are already missing a finger and are going for a matched set...

Air bag or other safety-related stuff should really be dealer repaired. I know it's expensive (like $95.00/hour) but if you or (worse) your passenger were injured or killed in a crash, if YOU decided to repair your self or have an independent mechanic repair something like this who, in this age of lawsuits, do you think will burden the loss? That's right my friend.

Now, if it failed, and had been repaired by a 'factory certified technician' then MAYBE you'd have a chance to get BMW involved to help carry the burden. NO chance, if you or an independent mechanic screws with it.

Just my two cents. Give it some thought.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 07:33 AM   #6
318tibimmer

I will have to agree with Jim, I know that my light came on after I had my old mechanic rebuild my engine. He somehow tripes something in the ABS computer (something to do witht he airbag), he told me that he didn't have the ABS Cartridge to fit into his scanner, to clear the code off of the computer to make the light turn off. If you know someone with a scanner, go and buy the cartridge for it - I was told that it was like $50, and then have them clear the code. - Better than spending $$ at BMW - from what it sounds like you have the same problem, I have not done this to my car yet. Have to come up with the money, but I know someone with a scanner.
Custom Cold Air Intake, Custom IAT controller, SuperSprint Exhaust, High Flow CAT, Long Tube Header, H&R 'Race' Lowering springs, Short Shifter, JB Racing Lightweight Flywheel, M3 Clutch Kit w/Rogue Semi-Metalic Disk, Zex Nitrous System, Euro Clear Corners, Elipsoid Headlights w/Halos, Eyebrows, Window Tinting, Invisible Bra
318tibimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 03:33 PM   #7
Travis

My airbag light sometimes comes on and stays on for a while ('95).

I don't know why, either.

I do wonder what makes the shell fire... Do I need to disconnect the battery prior to removing the front seats?

-Travis
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 09:36 PM   #8
J!m

Vehicles

I would (and do) disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes before performing any electrical system related repairs at all.

This goes double for any safety related systems. A bad signal due to disconnection may cause the charge to fire, same as an air bag.

I do my own repairs, but I do not condone others to mess with these systems. You could be seriously hurt either attempting the repair, or when the system does not function properly in a crash.

Air bags are a great invention, but improper use can be hazardous.

FYI the air bag and seat-belt tensioner are all connected with the "seat-occupied" sensor. These work together to determine if and when the air bag and tensioner fire in a crash. If you MUST mess with this stuff, at least wear eye protection... Oh, yeah. An you did not hear this from me.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 04:27 AM   #9
Dan G

You really need someone with a fault code reader to figure what the problem is. Mine was the seat mat in the passanger seat. The mat signals the SRS system whether the passanger seat is occupied and therefore whether to send one or two air bags in a crash. With the SRS light on, the default is to send both bags.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:56 PM   #10
jeph23

Okay, about this light that is lit up. Beings that my car didn't come with a manual, I am thinking that it is the same light that is lit up in my car as well. Does it look something like this (O) Is it something like that? But the () are dashed? See, when mine first came on, I thought it was the air bag light, but I just replaced my brake pads the day before, so I thought that maybe it was a light saying that one of my sensors on the callipers was loose or something. This has been about a year since this stupid thing came on and I am always fidgeting with those stupid sensors. So, if this is the light that everyone is talking about, let me know so I can stop messing with my calliper sensors...lol
jeph23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 05:49 PM   #11
318tibimmer

No, that light that you have (0) is the brake sensor. I had that come on in my car too, you probibly have the sensor installed incorrectly - When I replaced my pads it also stayed on until I cleared the codes (I have a friend with a Scanner so I could clear them for free) if you goto the dealership you will end up paying like $100 or something like that. But I would say to give them a call.
Custom Cold Air Intake, Custom IAT controller, SuperSprint Exhaust, High Flow CAT, Long Tube Header, H&R 'Race' Lowering springs, Short Shifter, JB Racing Lightweight Flywheel, M3 Clutch Kit w/Rogue Semi-Metalic Disk, Zex Nitrous System, Euro Clear Corners, Elipsoid Headlights w/Halos, Eyebrows, Window Tinting, Invisible Bra
318tibimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 01:59 PM   #12
jeph23

I have a scanner for my car, and it does come up with a code, but I have no idea how to clear it. I can clear everything else that comes up, but when that code comes on, it doesn't clear. So yeah, I will have to keep checking my stupid sensors... Thanks!!!
jeph23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 07:37 PM   #13
troyw

My airbag light is also on. I have been told by BMW that the pressure pad in the front passengers seat is not working properly. It is about a $200 repair with the new pad being only around $85. That is not a bad price to pay to fix a airbag safty issue.
troyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 08:13 PM   #14
jeph23

Yeah, not bad at all... Thanks for the help!!!
Old 06-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #15
318moneypit

The airbag warning light has been on in my '98 since before I bought it. The car had 104,000 miles on it when I bought it. I have learned to ignore it but would disable the dash light if I could.
318moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote