318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 951,739 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,649 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-22-2007, 07:08 AM   #1
zboot

Default 318ti Windshield and UV protection

Hi,

Does anyone know if our windshield blocks UV rays? If you don't know but wear glasses and have transition lenses, then my question to you is: Do you glasses darken while you're driving?

I lost my glasses while partying last week and am now getting new ones. This time, I'm getting transition lenses (as well as contacts for the times I want to roll w/o glasses so I don't put myself in a situation to lose them if I have to drive later). All the photochromatic coatings are activated by UV rays. However, many windshields block UV rays and thus the darkening effect won't activate inside those cars. I suppose I'll get some cheapo sunglasses that I can wear with contacts, but I'll be nice to not have to switch from my glasses to contacts whenever I want to have "shades" in the car. (I have my reasons for not wanting to tint).

Anyway, thanks all.
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:42 AM   #2
aceyx

I get wicked bad trucker arm through the glass if that answers your question.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
mohaughn

I'm fairly sure they don't. The interior will fade badly in florida if you don't have tinted windows.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
JPerfect

When I wore glasses I had transitions, and they never darkened in the car.

They never darkened in any car.

With the sunroof open, sometimes they did when the sun was directly above me, but otherwise, no dice.

Sorry man.
JPerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
DocDuvi

The part of the U/V that transition glasses need to darken are blocked by any glass!!

I researched this long time ago cause mine were not working inside the car!
DocDuvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
Marv17

Alright dude. This is coming from a guy that works in the optical field. (i'm an optican) Transitions are not supposed to be able to "turn on" in the car. Reason being is that 99.9% of the new cars have windshields that block UV rays and you need them to so the lenses can absorb the UV to "activate" the transitions. So the answer is no it wont. So many ppl come in on a weekly basis that have bought glasses from me asking why it doesnt change in the car which their sole purpose was for that they can only have one pair all the time. Ppl got pissed when I explained this to them. Your chance of having them even change a lil' bit is pretty slim tho. It may change a tiny bit but dont expect it to be much tho. Better off getting some bomb polarized sunglasses which would block the UV rays and eliminate the glare that the sun produces off of the streets and other cars and from the sun itself. You'll noticed the difference if you only had tinted glasses too and if you buy the good kind. Yes there are different brands so spend the lil extra to get the good brands to have good product.
wells thats my 2¢
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:23 PM   #7
tastade

By nature the front windshield will block almost all of the UV. This is because it is laminated glass. The side windows will block about half the UV (if they aren't laminated). I don't think I have ever gotten tan through my side glass (maybe just a little). Usually the sun is strongest when it is high in the sky, and at those times not much light will come in the side windows.

You have to keep in mind that if your glasses tinted while in the car, they would also tint while indoors. That would defeat the purpose of transition lenses.
tastade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:38 AM   #8
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv17 View Post
Better off getting some bomb polarized sunglasses which would block the UV rays and eliminate the glare that the sun produces off of the streets and other cars and from the sun itself. You'll noticed the difference if you only had tinted glasses too and if you buy the good kind. Yes there are different brands so spend the lil extra to get the good brands to have good product.
Polarized sunglasses are the most awesome thing I've experienced. I'm never going back.

At first, it looks weird. Literally, it takes some getting used to since everything is so clear.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:20 PM   #9
zboot

I didn't want polarized lens since they'd be dark all the time. I knew that most cars had the UV thing. . .just hoping that ours didn't LoL. But I've gotten so good at putting in my contacts that now it won't be an issue for me to switch to regular sunglasses if I'm leaving from work or something.
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote