318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
My 318ti build
Yesterday 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
Yesterday 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 286 Views
1997 manual 318TI M...
05-13-2024 09:38 AM
Last post by angwydwagon
05-13-2024 09:38 AM
0 Replies, 1,692 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
L84THSKY

Default Just Passed Inspection

YIPPIE

Finally got that CEL light out after buying Pat's CAT from his wrecked car.
Don't waste your time and money on an after market CAT, they are hit and miss, mostly miss.

The mechanic, who was in his 50's, really dug the 318ti. He was telling the other mechanic all about the mods I had on the car.

While he was loading the car in the database, he pointed out a recall item I didn't know about. He said there was a recall on the crank shaft sensor, due to cracks that develop. I had never heard of that recall.

Not sure if the previous owner ever got that replaced. Anyone else ever heard of that recall on a 1998 model?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
Maverix

Vehicles

Congrats. Be sure to go back to the same mechanic next year. As for the recall, I didn't know about that. Is the recall present on 97 models as well?
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
After that... well nothing else really matters.
~Jess
Maverix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:04 AM   #3
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY View Post
Not sure if the previous owner ever got that replaced. Anyone else ever heard of that recall on a 1998 model?
Don't know but here's where to find out:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/
Old 09-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
hotmilk400

omg.. my CEL is always on. and its always for random ass codes. my last one for the airbag, the one before told me fuel inject 3 had stopped working, which it hadnt. i want to by a Diagnostic Tool to check the codes myself, and reset the lights myself before inspections (because they turn on after like 50 - 100 miles after turning them off) and its a differnt code each time,normally.. so i want the best one that reads the most BMW codes.. because i know some read alot better then others. i have a 1998. i know alot of people with CEL problems that have a 1998 BMW , weather is be a 318ti, or a Z3 with the same motor.. they all have CEL problems.

Also, my cel engine light turns itself off by itself sometimes, which, isnt suppose to happen.. so like.. i guess my car is messed up .. haha
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmilk400 View Post
oso i want the best one that reads the most BMW codes.. because i know some read alot better then others.
that would be the Peake code reader I believe
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
L84THSKY

How long has this been going on? You won't pass inspection by resetting your CEL. They can tell if it has not run enough miles to get the machine to pass. You could have the "CAT efficiency" issue I had, then your CAT needs replacing.

Quote:
omg.. my CEL is always on. and its always for random ass codes. my last one for the airbag, the one before told me fuel inject 3 had stopped working, which it hadnt. i want to by a Diagnostic Tool to check the codes myself, and reset the lights myself before inspections (because they turn on after like 50 - 100 miles after turning them off) and its a differnt code each time,normally.. so i want the best one that reads the most BMW codes.. because i know some read alot better then others. i have a 1998. i know alot of people with CEL problems that have a 1998 BMW , weather is be a 318ti, or a Z3 with the same motor.. they all have CEL problems.

Also, my cel engine light turns itself off by itself sometimes, which, isnt suppose to happen.. so like.. i guess my car is messed up .. haha

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
hotmilk400

i only bought the car about 6 months ago? and it only started when i first got the AC working (which all i did was turn it on, the switch was missing when i bought it) every since then, the light would turn on for differnt reasons. (over the past 2 months) the first code was "fuel inject 3 is open" the 2nd one was unknown(96), the 3rd was unknown(00067), the 4th was malfunction of airbags or something, and was just reset. im not sure if there were more.. i just had the light turn on last night after getting it turned off about 70 miles before hand. the problem i am having now is related to a differnt article, where i think the wire that is wraped around my clutch pump is shorting out, and blowing my AC fuse, which is the reason my AC might work for alittle, then randomly blow a fuse.

apparently the owner before me had CEL problems, which was the reason i bought the car (it was stuck at the dealer because he would just take in the car and tell them to fix it, and they would find something wrong, and charge him alot) i only paid what he owed on it from teh dealer, and it was mine ($1500) ..

also, my CEL lights have been turning on and off for no reason.. i had a Break pad light turn on, and it had turned itself off again.. but then me CEL had turned on, and then turned off by itself twice already.

i just replaced a dead battery, and i thought maybe a voltage drop from the AC turning on was the problem at first, making Fuel injector 3 show error, but i doubt it now because of the other codes..
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #8
1lenny

There was a recall-level issue with the CAT converter in the 1998 ti--I had mine replaced by the dealer for free after someone tipped me to the service bulletin.
Of course they got me on a resonator replacement.

I had had similar issues with the CEL and getting odd codes off the Peake reader. I did a lot of research back then, and I didn't find anything on the crank shaft sensor.
1lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:35 PM   #9
aceyx

Quote:
i only bought the car about 6 months ago . . .
i just replaced a dead battery, and i thought maybe a voltage drop from the AC turning on was the problem at first, making Fuel injector 3 show error, but i doubt it now because of the other codes..
Sounds like you've got some gremlins at work on your car.

Buy a multimeter and start checking everything.