318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 997,864 Views
View Poll Results: What the heck should I do ?!?
Keep and fix it, Its worth it... 28 93.33%
Sell it for what you can get for it, and move on. 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-25-2006, 06:49 PM   #16
first_bmw

Default TI - Update

So My TI has been out of storage for about 5 weeks now.

At first I was Pissssed off at this car, it seems like a death trap, But then I fixed the brakes and I was a bit happier.

I sent the bent 17" rim to chicago and got that back about a week later they sent it back and then the rims and tires were back on and it looked better, Lastly I took it to bmw and they put a new upper control arm in the front and fixed the fan relay so by fan / heater control works again ,, YA !!!...

The only problem I have now is my "check engine" light is on, I had it tested at Autozone and the code indicated it was a o2 circuit malfunction.. whatever that means, So I guess it will need to go back to BMW for that.

On the PLUS side, I had my car waxed and buffed the other day and it looks great, also my girlfriend has been very sick lately and was hospitalized in Chicago for the last 5 days (Thats NOT the plus side) anyways Chicago is about 74 miles one way from me and I have driven the car there and back daily for 5 days.... No problems at all.

Also its nice that even at 80mph the car still gets up and goes when you hit the gas. normally cars (4 bangers) seem to tucker out and hove no more go at those speeds....

Also I recently added an XM Satellite radio to the car seeing as how its my daily driver now. and that sounds great....

I have too much gap in the front and wish it was a bit lower.. but its not worth a bunch of money as how I have my first kid on the way.

Une thing I did notice.... My steering wheel still shakes a but whild driving at speeds over 85-90 mph, but its hard to go to the dealership and say my steering wheel shakes when I hit speeds above 90.... theyd simply say do go that fast.

All in all... the car still frusterates me sometimes, but its a keeper.

Heres a weird video on made on Lakeshore dr.

prepare to be bored.

http://www.dropshots.com/videolink.p...52&showVideo=1
first_bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:37 PM   #17
robcarync

my steering wheel used to shake a bit...but it was usually under braking...i had a problem iwth my front brakes where the caliper was sticking causing the pad to be jammed against the rotor...vibrating the entire front end.

if it only happens going fast and not under braking its probably not it...maybe an alignment issue ... im not sure though
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:45 PM   #18
Etienne

Glad to hear you are keeping the car... most of that stuff you mentioned is more or less expected maintenance -- though a bummer that you got most of it at once.

image from: http://www.lasershows.ro/site/ro/graficalaser.htm
Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:31 PM   #19
steelejared

I really appreciated this thread. I have been going through the same battle with my ti. I decided to keep mine too. I have decided that whatever I could get for it is probably far less than what it is worth to me, particularly if I were to simply trade it in at a dealer for something new.

In addition, I have derived some enjoyment and satisfaction in having a unique and interesting car, but also to a certain extent by participation with the secret society of ti owners out in the world, on the yahoo list, and more recently on this list. Just this morning I had a silent moment of recognition with another ti driver on the way to work with a thumbs-up and knowing nod.

I am all for enthusiastic people keeping the ti alive as an enthusiasts car. I am glad to hear you have decided to stay in the secret society of ti owners as I have.

By the way, I think the shaking steering wheel may indicate that you need to rebalance your wheels. Simplest explanation I can think of. An off-balance wheel will become more noticeable at higher speed.

Good luck.

Jared
steelejared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:45 PM   #20
bullmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelejared
By the way, I think the shaking steering wheel may indicate that you need to rebalance your wheels. Simplest explanation I can think of. An off-balance wheel will become more noticeable at higher speed.
Jared

I concur with Jared. Go to this site and find out who has one of these machines in your area. Have the Road Force balancing done and that should take care of your shaking. Traditional balancing just doesn't seem to cut it on these cars.

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm
Old 06-21-2006, 12:34 PM   #21
proudTIowner

keep it because these cars are hard to come by. I purchased my TI back in 1999. During that time it was easy to find one. Now its almost impossible because not many people have them and most who have them arent selling theirs. If you keep it up it will be a bmw classic.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:33 PM   #22
cev12

I'm keeping mine until the wheels fall of and the engine goes, then I'm gettin new wheels and rebuilding the engine!
cev12 is offline   Reply With Quote