318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 995,287 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Mopho

Default Spark plug wires: Who makes shorter ones?

On my 1996 318ti.....

I would like to have my spark plug wires run from the coil pack directly to the spark plugs. I want to eliminate the long wires.
Any suggestions? Is there a racing set that does not run clear behind the engine and 10 feet long?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm about to take an old set off my old 1.9L ti and make them myself. (somehow) I haven't figgured out how to shorten the stock wires yet.
I have a bad #1 wire, I disconnected and ran a generic plug wire to #1 cylinder, to get car running this week. Having trouble spending 150 bucks for a new stock set of wires that will fail again...

Old 11-22-2009, 12:42 AM   #2
projekt EPiK

speaking from a general stand point, MSD makes wires that you terminate yourself.. now for the Ti, i dunno.

shortening the wire should be easy, it is almost like a coaxial cable.. several layers. you just have to get the clip that attaches to the spark plug inside the boot off and be able to reattach it. i have some stock wires in the hatch, the PO gave them to me b/c he put BavAuto wires on. i'll see if i can pull them apart tomorrow and post up the results.

why do you want them shorter anyway?
projekt EPiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
projekt EPiK

wow.. just saw that 150 bucks? geez.. most msd sets are like 50-60 for 4 cyl, and 8.5 mm.. not rf shielded though, may cause radio noise..
Old 11-22-2009, 02:46 AM   #4
Marv17

there is a coil pack modification that was done on a M42. its on the M42club forum and on here too but don't know what the link is for it.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
spidertri

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv17 View Post
there is a coil pack modification that was done on a M42. its on the M42club forum and on here too but don't know what the link is for it.
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
projekt EPiK

very nice.. anyone have dyno info before/after on an otherwise stock car? more spark = more power.. slight, but there is probably some increase. looks cool too. any ignition amplifiers that anyone is using? with a more powerful spark you can open up plug gap and have a more complete burn.. better economy and power.

plenty of dyno evidence on other cars to support that (in my personal experience)
Old 11-23-2009, 01:07 AM   #7
pdxmotorhead

IMHO The BMW stock ignition is fine, its not worth replacing with aftermarket, you'd have to get pretty radical to get much more voltage, that's why the stock plug wires only last a couple years. The coil on plug setup helps because its 2 less connections. Don't know why it took so long for auto manufacturers to figure it out... YOu could always custom order Magnecore wires that would reach direct, just give them the lengths and pay the 200 bucks... Or you could buy the MSD tool, and wires, and parts and build your own.

Good Luck

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:21 AM   #8
projekt EPiK

most MSD sets i have bought included the little crimping block for installing the terminations.
i have a set of bav auto wires on my car, if they ever give me a fit, i'll prob go to the
e46 COP setup.
obviously they are working well now though, 32mpg hwy and so far almost 170 miles on this tank around town, and now even used 1/2 way yet.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #9
pdxmotorhead

I like the Pliers better than the block, I like being able to feel how much bite I'm getting.

But your right especially for 1 wire set the block will work.

I'd use heat tube over the wires if I was going from the coil
packs straight to the head.

Dave
Old 11-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #10
projekt EPiK

true on the heat tube. you are right on the MSD block too, i usually end up following with crimp pliers anyway.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #11
pdxmotorhead

The MSD pliers have a nifty little widget that really sets the crimp.

Ever grabbed a plug wire on a 318 ? I did one day checking to see if one was tight.

I said some really bad words it hurt for 2 days...

Dave
Old 11-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
osu_ti

I'm working on an M44 COP setup at the moment. I plan to make it plug and play by buying a used coil and gutting it for the connector. One of the guys who used to make the COP brackets for M42's is a friend of mine, so he gave me a couple spare brackets and hardware to play with when I bought my car. I bought a set of 6 E46 coils off ebay along with the wiring harness for $130. I'm hoping to have the COP setup working over Christmas break. I'll start a thread when I get it all worked out.

I don't think there's much of a performance improvement to be had unless you're having spark blow-out issues due to extremely high cylinder pressures (i.e. lots of boost). Quite a few people have reported better idle quality, which is the other area where a hotter spark typically helps.

Josh

Last edited by osu_ti; 11-23-2009 at 04:44 PM.
osu_ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #13
Mopho

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu_ti View Post
I'm working on an M44 COP setup at the moment. I plan to make it plug and play by buying a used coil and gutting it for the connector. One of the guys who used to make the COP brackets for M42's is a friend of mine, so he gave me a couple spare brackets and hardware to play with when I bought my car. I bought a set of 6 E46 coils off ebay along with the wiring harness for $130. I'm hoping to have the COP setup working over Christmas break. I'll start a thread when I get it all worked out.

I don't think there's much of a performance improvement to be had unless you're having spark blow-out issues due to extremely high cylinder pressures (i.e. lots of boost). Quite a few people have reported better idle quality, which is the other area where a hotter spark typically helps.

Josh
I would like to see your results.
I have been playing with my old wires, and Have a problem making a end to fit in the coil pack. The stock wire went bad on the coil pack end. I shortened the bad wire, and now I am working on making an end that will be more permanent on the coil pack. I actually cut half the length of wire, and now am going directly from the coil pack to the spark plug. Shrink tubing is a good idea for extra insolation. I see no reason to run wires longer than necessary, like the factory wires except it looks "prettier" to have the wires out of sight and the cute little "BMW" plastic cover on there....

Old 11-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #14
osu_ti

Typically the M42 guys route the wires (not spark plug wires) to the back of the engine and bundle them together. They usually don't bother with trying to fit the "BMW" cover back on, though. I wouldn't mind finding a way to keep the cover (dirt/dust protection reasons), but I'll ditch it if it's too much trouble.

Josh
Old 11-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #15
Mopho

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu_ti View Post
Typically the M42 guys route the wires (not spark plug wires) to the back of the engine and bundle them together. They usually don't bother with trying to fit the "BMW" cover back on, though. I wouldn't mind finding a way to keep the cover (dirt/dust protection reasons), but I'll ditch it if it's too much trouble.

Josh
If someone is going to the coil on plug design, how would you get the small wires to the plug coils? My M44 has a screw in wiring harness going to the coil block. No way to run wires from that plug unless you had an adaptor.