318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 983,734 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-19-2006, 11:29 PM   #1
kirbykirbykirby3

Default Wonder if this could be done :) Portable Entertainment

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/bmwpc/

Original Article.

Was curious if something like this could be done, really like the project, and can do something like this on my own for around 400$ (Touch Screen LCD = 250$) from what I see in the article, it hides in the glove box, how big is the glove box in the 318ti?

Also, I would like to add something else to the mod, Since I would be interested in installing wi-fi internet, I will need to go thru a antenna, so where exactly does the antenna pass thru the 318 so I can arrange something of the sort to be done =D

This is all in a thinking progess now I will plan to do it after I get my 318ti, eventually...hehehe
kirbykirbykirby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:11 AM   #2
pnosker

Don't rice out your future ti!!!
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:50 AM   #3
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

I think the CarPC is a great idea...

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:17 AM   #4
pnosker

I built one of these once, used a Transmeta Crusoe 1.2ghz processor and a 7" touchscreen. It was nice, stored the computer in the trunk, wired to the dash. Unfortunately, it made it look pretty ricey in my opinion. It was functional though, with GPS and everything. Also, the dashboard space isn't very large if you have the stock stuff in it.

As for WiFi, don't use the radio antenna. I guess you haven't taken physics (cause you're 15), but the antenna is tuned to the FM frequencies and not the 2.4x ghz for WiFi. The best recommendation I can give you is to stick an omnidirectional antenna under the passenger seat dash.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:27 AM   #5
kirbykirbykirby3

Well, Obviously I knew the antenna wouldnt work (I was planing a custom one) But, I meant, like could I use the pre-wiring or not? Since I was planing on a omnidirectional one, just it'd be placed on the roof of the car ( A fuba clone!)

Also, when you stored it in the trunk and wired it to the dash, how hard was it to do? I mean like conceal the wiring?

Also, do you think this is to ricey? All I really want is GPS/Mp3. I can go the way of buying a cd player with aux in then a USB gps and use my laptop, but that looks shotty D: Plus, I have like more then half the parts already needed for the project
Old 11-20-2006, 02:52 PM   #6
pnosker

I removed the seats, carpet, routed wiring through that, replaced carpet + seats. It was a pain in the butt to do. Also, getting a cd-player with aux in is a pain to hookup to the sound system properly since you have to deactivate the midranges, tweeters, replace the 5.25 speakers and the 4" rear speakers with full range speakers. That's not a cheap job.

Your best option would be to get something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-Navig.../dp/B0006OCJ2W

Then get an Alpine RCA input adapter for your factory head unit, add a dashboard 1/4 inch stereo plug wired to the Alpine input, and connect the two by a short connecting 1/4 inch stereo plug (male-male).
Old 11-20-2006, 04:33 PM   #7
Bluebimma

I think thats actually a pretty good idea for entertainment purposes, navigation, engine management for tuning and monitoring...all around goodness

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:24 PM   #8
pnosker

Shameless plug, but if you're interested, I used this laptop + my Pharos GPS in my 318ti to navigate myself to Long Island and back once.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2016&rd=1&rd=1
Old 11-21-2006, 10:32 PM   #9
L84THSKY

You needed a GPS to find your way from NJ to Long Isand? I'm speechless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnosker View Post
Shameless plug, but if you're interested, I used this laptop + my Pharos GPS in my 318ti to navigate myself to Long Island and back once.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2016&rd=1&rd=1

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:39 PM   #10
pnosker

I had it auto-reroute me via sirius traffic alerts. I've never driven through Manhattan myself before either, and had to get to Syosset. Don't make fun of me for my lack of directional knowledge!!
Old 11-21-2006, 10:43 PM   #11
L84THSKY

I was kidding. I'm sure it came in handy getting to a specific place on Long Island. I'm only 10 minutes from Syosset. Come by and see me sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnosker View Post
I had it auto-reroute me via sirius traffic alerts. I've never driven through Manhattan myself before either, and had to get to Syosset. Don't make fun of me for my lack of directional knowledge!!

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:02 PM   #12
HuGo

Kirby quick advice...

Dont let this stupid word "rice" stop you from doing what you want to do to your car. If you like it and want to do it (with anything) then go for it regardless what others think. Seriously man, anything stupid thing you decide to do to your car, right away "ricey". I was asking for lights for my interior, right away, rice JUST CUZ i wanted them blue.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:27 PM   #13
kirbykirbykirby3

Heh, Thanks 1996Bmw318TI, Your advice is one of the best on this topic!

My hats of to you! =D. I will do it, but as a LCD costs nearly 300$, Im'a stick to my Ibm t40 and a USB Gps for now. (Just need to find one now )

thanks all!

Edit!

And omg! I found what I want to do! =D

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3...318tipcuz7.png

Something like this! =D I found it on a google image search, but the orginal link is dead .
Old 11-22-2006, 12:13 AM   #14
pnosker

Wow... that guy moved his climate control down and put a 7" touch screen in... nice!! That's not ricey.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:04 AM   #15
planetace

The problem with that in my opinion, is that it sits way too low in order to watch a movie or something. And its nearly impossible to put in a In-Dash Monitor, I had to struggle to fit in my Alpine Cd Player. Pretty tight back there had to cut some plastic pieces out.
But the whole car multimedia idea is cool.
planetace is offline   Reply With Quote