318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 997,000 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
TheFlyingScotsman

Default INSURANCE

As some of you may well know, im a baby at 17, and some might wonder how the hell i get insured on a 318Ti.
Just thought this would be interesting..
I go to Moneysupermarket.com to get my cheapest quotes, but cheap aint cheap at £215 p/month ...but i pay it, some say im mental, but i think the car is worth it! lol
Anyone else here 17 or 18 and insure under their own name?
Cheers guys!
TheFlyingScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
jkilla71

Location: Ft Lauderdale, Fl moving to Eastern PA in May of 2007

I am not saying to lie or I have done this myself but if you tell the insurance company that you are married and then say your wife doesn’t drive, it potentially could save you a bunch of cash.

I know you are in Scotland but it works in the US.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
albi901

£215/month..............ouch

mines only £260 fully comp but then again i'm over 30

have you tried confused.com?

my best quote is with http://www.budgetinsurance.com/ but be careful to check that they are quoting for the correct car!

bloke at works son got a quote through confused.com saying that budget were the cheapest @ 400quid but when he actually phoned up to get the quote they had qouted on the wrong model which brought the quote down.........sneaky buggers! cost him 800quid in the end as he'd already bought the car

you could also try adrian flux and if you join e36coupe.com you can get a discount
albi901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:18 PM   #4
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilla71 View Post
I am not saying to lie or I have done this myself but if you tell the insurance company that you are married and then say your wife doesn’t drive, it potentially could save you a bunch of cash.

I know you are in Scotland but it works in the US.
If you're insurance company EVER found out about this they would drop you in a heart beat, and might even back charge you for extra money. Retarded advice.

Imagine going to court for something like this. Do you think you can afford a better attorney than your insurance company.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
jkilla71

Location: Ft Lauderdale, Fl moving to Eastern PA in May of 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
If you're insurance company EVER found out about this they would drop you in a heart beat, and might even back charge you for extra money. Retarded advice.

Imagine going to court for something like this. Do you think you can afford a better attorney than your insurance company.

You are right, it is bad advice; unfortunately a career working for insurance companies has made me bitter.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:01 PM   #6
Rich

Have you tried Adrian Flux? they are very good for me, and there is no problem with modifications.. I was insured with Churchill and they didn't even let me put BMW alloys on as they were not part of the factory spec for the car.

My first insurance company was Eagle Star, they had a fairly good rate for my first year, but that was with a Honda Civic 1.4i.

Here is a list of other insurers in the UK > http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=90347
Old 02-15-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
318iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
My first insurance company was Eagle Star, they had a fairly good rate for my first year, but that was with a Honda Civic 1.4i.
eagle star is the worst insurance company there is....

i ring up the other day to get a quote for my mate for a potential 316 compact ....

so i say im looking to get a quote on a 1995... she interupts me and says "im sorry but we only insure pre 1997 vehicles if the driver has a full license and a minimum of 3 years no claims"....

so i said okay how a bout a 1997 bmw... she interupts me again and says "we can only insure a bmw if the driver has a full license and a minimum of 3 years no claims"....

my mate has only 1 year no claims....

im really puzzled as to who they insure 25 year olds driving micras ? ? ?
318iS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:04 PM   #8
Rich

I changed away from Eagle Star after the first year, as they cost a lot more than others. Just for my first year with the Honda they had the best price. I can imagine it would be hard to get a good price on a BMW at 17 no matter what size engine.

Eagle Star used to be quite good & customer friendly but that was nearly 5 years ago, things have changed I guess.

The problem is as soon as a car is a 3 door, its a "Sports Car". It was the same with the Civic. If it had been the 4 door saloon rather than the 3 door hatch it would have cost about £400 less for essentially the same car. Just the insurance risk analysis doesn't see it that way.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:26 PM   #9
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Geico, $200.00 for six months! Can't beat it. I use them for both my 318ti and my motorcycles. The motorcycle insurance is a seperate division of Geico, therefore requires a seperate policy, but it costs even less.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #10
zboot

$200 for six months!! Even if I went with my state minimum, I'm still about twice that.
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote