318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Anything other than automotive related.

» Recent Threads
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
Yesterday 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 1,715 Views
E30 trailing arms
Yesterday 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
Yesterday 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 148 Views
OMG!OMG!
Yesterday 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
Yesterday 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 311 Views
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 1,140 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-03-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Default Got Fired Today

Okay, well not fired but suspended. I'm not going back to work there, so I guess I'll be fired one week from now. Never been in this position before, so I'm open to your thoughts, suggestions and/or advice.

Well it went down like this, I started this part time pizza delivery gig about a month ago to hold me over until my new job goes through. The testing, background check, screening, psycological evaluation and physical fitness testing process for this new job takes a few months to complete and then you have to wait for a position to open up. It's a government job and it pays 80k a year. I'm a Veteran and a former Police Officer, so it's pretty much a done deal, just have to play the waiting game.

Anyway since I've been working at this pizza job, they've messed up my pay 3 times. The first time it happened was my second day working there. Basically at the end of your shift each driver cashes out. The manager prints out a receipt with all of your deliveries for the night and then deducts your credit card deliveries from the total cash deposit that you owe the store. The remainder that you have left after this is your tips for the night. I averaged $75-$100 per night with about 15-20 deliveries. After my second day at work, they pulled me aside and said that they overpaid me because they accidentally put one of my deliveries on another drivers ticket. I checked it out and they were correct, so I gave the other driver $30 bucks that I owed him and all was well.

Ever since then, I made it a habit to calculate and write down my tip for each run. This way I know that my numbers are correct when it's time to cash out at the end of the night. I subtract my tips and gas money from the total cash that I collect each night and if the remaining amount corresponds with what the manager says I owe the store, I know everything is alright, I pay them off and go home. Pretty simple way to keep track of your earnings and prevent incidents like the one that I mentioned before.

So two days ago, I go to cash out and the manager throws me a number that was $15 more than what I had after subtracting my tips. I told him there was a mistake and he replied that my tips are none of his business and I owe him another 15 bucks. We argued for a few minutes and then I found his discrepancy and he was at fault. A customer who paid with a credit card called after the pizza was delivered and complained that they didn't receive the discount that they were quoted when they ordered the pizzas. The manager then voided the sale and re-rang it with the appropriate discount, but he never adjusted the price on my ticket, so when he went to cash me out, it said that I was short 15 bucks when in fact I wasn't. He corrected it and I went home.

Last night I worked 6 hours and only made $40 and some change in tips off of 10 deliveries. This was really bad for a Friday night. At the end of the shift I subtracted my tips, handed the credit card receipts to the manager and asked him to cash me out. He deducted the credit card payments from my total and told me that I owed $175.76 to the store. I reach in my pocket and guess what... I had exactly $175.76. Just like I always do, I keep track of my money and everything was cool. I counted it twice and then he counted it twice, it was all there so he told me I could clock out and go home.

So here's where things went wrong. I go into work today, 15 minutes early as usual. After I clock in, the store manager comes up to me and tells me that I was $26 short last night! I tell him it's not possible and pull out all of my receipts and the piece of paper which I keep track of my tips on. He then replies with his famous line "it's not my problem, your tips mean nothing to me and you owe me 26 bucks!" Here we go again. So I go through all of the receipts, add everything up and show him that the total for last night was $175.76. He agrees and says that I still owe him 26 bucks. I ask him how he figures and he says that the deposit that I gave the other manager last night was $26 short. I explain to him that I keep track of all my money collected and that we both counted it twice and it worked out to a perfect amount once my tips were deducted. Remember I write down the amount of each tip after each delivery because of what happened on my second day working there.

He tells me that I have to square things with the other manager who turned in the deposit and that I'm responsible for the money at all times. I asked him at what point am I no longer responsible? I mean, when my supervisor pats me on the back, tells me good job, clock out and go home am I still responsible? When the money's sitting in the safe waiting for the bank to come and collect it am I still responsible?

So he sends me on a delivery. I do the delivery, come back from it and tell him that I am so pissed that I can't drive until this matter is resolved. I'm not going to risk tearing up my car out of rage because of someone elses mistake or inability to add and subtract. He tells me that I can go home, but if I do, not to come back. I go out to my car and light a cigarette. He comes out yelling at me and says while I'm on the clock I need to be working. I asked if I could take a few minutes to cool off and have a smoke and he says no, go in and clock out if you want to take a break. So I do and while Im sitting out back he comes out and tells me to go home and come back at 5:00pm to do the night shift so I could straighten things out with the other manager. I tell him theres nothing to straighten out, my deposit was correct verifyed by myself and the other manager last night before I left work. If there was a discrepancy it would have been noticed last night when I cashed out. He tells me it was probably a mistake and everything will be sorted out when you come back this evening.

So I go home and relax for a few hours. I show back up to work at 4:45, 15 minutes early as usual. I talk to the other manager and he says that he remembers counting the money and everything was right but somewhere between last night after I left and today when I came into work, $26 was lost. He then offers to split the difference and only make me pay $13! I told him no of course because I can't see how it's my fault that they lost the money after I clocked out and went home. He tells the store manager that I wasn't going to pay at which time they tell me to wait in the office.

I wait there for about 30min(off the clock) and get a phone call from the store manager who apparently went on one of my deliveries while I waited, asking me to come out and move my car so he could park in in the area in front of me. We have a really small lot, so we double park and the drivers park behind every one else so we don't get blocked in when a delivery comes up.

So I walk outside to see the manager waiting behind a guy who was talking to a girl in a Nissan Pathfinder which was sitting in the middle of the road, about a foot behind my car blocking me in. I get in my car, start it up and wait for this lady to pull forward or move out of the way. I wait for about two minutes and nothing. So I put it in reverse, the girl sees me and is now arguing with the guy(a Mexican gang member with Dickies shorts pulled up to his neck, a wife beater tank top and socks pulled up to his knees) She's trying to tell him that she needs to pull up so I could get out and he's just yelling at her. He's holding a baby and he turns and looks at me, so I gesture for him to move forward a little so I could back out.

And then it happened... He starts by swinging his arms, with the baby flying around and shouts "Wassuup Fool, can't you just wait 5 minutes for me to finish talking, you're driving a Bimmer juss F'n relax homes" So I get out of my car and say no I can't wait five minutes, I'm working and I need you to move your argument somewhere else so I could back out. He say's "you think you're big and bad because you drive a BMW essayyy" I say no, I'm big and bad because I go to the gym, now get the f__k out of here. He says a few more things and I tell him "look, I'm not gonna whip your ass right here because you're holding a baby. I'm just asking you to move, so I can do my job. If you want to start something, put the baby in the car or go home and come back with a few of your homiezzz.

So the girl tells him lets go and he's swearing at me in Spanish as they drive off. I back out and let my manager pull into the spot. He calls me back into his office and says that I'm suspended for starting a fight in the parking lot. I wasn't even clocked in!

I know it was a long story, but I needed to vent a little and I just want to hear someone else's opinion and/or advice. I don't plan on going back to work there since I think they have it out for me now. I don't really need the job anyway since I have a career lined up. Should I get a lawyer? Were my rights even violated Suggestions please, TIA, and thanks for reading this lonnnggg post.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
aceyx

It's not worth going back.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
ATF

If it's still a while until the new job comes up, I say stick with it, some money is better than none, even if it starts to drive you nuts. But if you can manage without, +1 on it's not worth going back.

I'm guessing you get paid under the table, so I'm not sure how a lawyer might help out in this situation, or even be cost effective. As for the cholo, I'm glad he didn't do **** to your car

BMWCCA #403399
2012 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 6-Speed
Loaded
2001 325xi, Winter Package, 5-Speed
Traded
1998 318ti, Active, Automatic, TOTAL LOSS R.I.P. 10/20/08
Bilstein Sport Shocks/Struts . H&R Sport Springs . Strut Reinforcement Plates . RSM Reinforcement Plates . Fogg Airbox . X-Brace . Bosal Brospeed Catback
ATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx View Post
It's not worth going back.
+1
It's a ****ty ploy employers do.

I used to work in an arcade dispensing change.
They'd give you a big bag of quarters.
You never really new exactly how many quarters were in the bag.

At the end of the day they'd count your change left and cash.
If it didn't total you had to pay the difference.
You had no proof. It was their way to deny unemployment insurance.

Move on. Don't look back.
When you get your new job order 20 pizzas to a fake address.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
mohaughn

I was part owner of a pool hall and arcade once. What I would do, and I made the other assistant manager do it as well was to have a money sign in/sign out sheet...

If I opened up a register I would put a certain amount of change in the register and sign out the amount of money in the register while the employee was watching. The employee would then count the money and also sign if they felt the amount was right. Same thing happened at night with the close out. The employees responsibility starts when the sign the cash out, and ends when the sign the cash back in. If the balance was screwed up between the time I cashed out the employee and doing a bank deposit that would have been on me.

Not really sure what you want to hire an attorney for. Unless they are still trying to hold you accountable for the 36$.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
aznlonewolf135

If you can manage just get another job. But putting up with **** is just unavoidable in life sometimes. props on such a long post at 2am...
aznlonewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
marleymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
+1
that's what i'd do..... if you do go back to work there, have a buddy do it...while you are working. Then you can really see your manager flip out... make sure to laugh at him too.
Another way to get back at them, is wait until they are slammed, punch-out and smoke a cig out front.

As far as the attitude given by the chico.... I get it all the time too, wow because I drive a rare, never seen around here, sports compact I fix/repair myself?
Old 06-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #8
Panzer_M

F T T.

you are a vet of this county, and if that doesn't mean crap to some pie slinger...your better off.
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #9
Zacki

you work at the worst place ever. this was funny...
no, I'm big and bad because I go to the gym

anyways get a better job thats more legit to hold you over. just something where you don't have to deal with assholes like your managers
I have money for mods if i want them, gas cause ill want to drive them, and honey's who will want to get in them
Zacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #10
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
If it's still a while until the new job comes up, I say stick with it, some money is better than none, even if it starts to drive you nuts. But if you can manage without, +1 on it's not worth going back.
Even if you need the money, the amount you're making delivering pizzas isn't worth the frustration of having an asshat for a supervisor.

Put up with it if it's something you love, or if you're raking in cash, but never for minimum + tips.

There are a ton of other jobs exactly like it for a reason.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:20 PM   #11
HuGo

Why dont you get a job that you dont have to worry about paying the store back. I remember i got hired at Bally Total Fitness, and they were all explaining if im short who knows how much, i gotta pay the register back. I quit after 2 hours of working there (on my first day) and bounced. I should go back and get my $14 dollar check huh? I dont deal with a minimum wage job.

I will tell you this. Im not sure if you got all the background done or whatever, but try not to quit/leave in a very bad way to prevent your chances of getting that new job.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #12
96cali

Absolutely a pizza delivery job is not worth hassling over. You have to make a choice- swallow your pride, cough up $13 and keep your job OR say sionara sucka and walk and find something else to get you through.

The key is this- DON"T make a big deal out of this and screw up future employment. If you really want to land that dream govvie job don't put something on your history that sets you back. Getting a lawyer is only a last resort for jobs that actually affect your career, not pizza delivery. Nobody wants to hire trouble and frankly you have an aggressive attitude in many of your posts here, your story above and it jives with military and police work. The managers may think your crazy and will shoot up the place and just want you gone. Sorry, I don't know you, but you gotta know you have an attitude. That's your choice but it doesn't make you more attractive as an employee.

Me? I think I would have your back because your receipts genarally balance out and your show up early and well, you drive a Ti so you must be cool.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #13
angel318ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
+1
It's a ****ty ploy employers do.

I used to work in an arcade dispensing change.
They'd give you a big bag of quarters.
You never really new exactly how many quarters were in the bag.

At the end of the day they'd count your change left and cash.
If it didn't total you had to pay the difference.
You had no proof. It was their way to deny unemployment insurance.

I didn't expect that coming from you! thats what I would do though.
angel318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:22 PM   #14
HuGo

Here's where im confused...You want to get a lawyer so that you DONT pay the $13? Ok but, how much is the lawyer going to cost?

Im trying to figure out how this lawyer comes in play in this situation? I mean, if hes wrong, can you sue him?

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #15
96cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel318ti View Post
I didn't expect that coming from you! thats what I would do though.
Yeah- what's up with Equalizer Steven?

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote