318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
Wanted: 318ti automatic...
01-17-2024 09:34 PM
Last post by macilona
Yesterday 03:10 AM
3 Replies, 815,357 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
SNOWti
Banned

Default Headliner Work - Blemished & Damaged.

Don't you hate it when you take something to get fixed only to find they broke things to fix it?

I had my headliner done recently, when I picked up the headliner looked great, all in place, except a petulant smell of Epoxy... and then after stopping to clean the insides a bit I find a small clip and attached to it a plastic knob thingy, a broken interior piece.

I didnt like it. The dude broke something. Then I realized the stitching on the side windows didnt match, meaning the thread lines went vertical on one and the other horizontal. A very OCD thing of mine I had the guy redo the driver side to match the other side.. it looked grainier and puffier... He then takes a screw driver and IN FRONT OF ME, rips into the weather strip, bending the inside metal rubber covered clasps that go along the insides of the strip AND scatches the nice Alpine white paint underneath.

I say nothing until I take a closer look later to find scratches inside. BUT here's the kicker, the dumbfuc k actually glued the side bar top to the headliner edge. I dont know what to call them, they're the side column plastic covers that go inside either side of the windshield. He starts hacking away at the fabric, Im like easy! Use this... a razor knife. Thats where the epoxy stench is coming from. The dude BROKE... broke the inside plastic clips, lost one, I found one and instead of telling me or fixing it, he does a Mickey and GLUES things together.

He leaves epoxy glue finger mess in the lower driver side of the window I find scratches on the other side inside the weather strip.

I know they are not big deal parts, they eventually are not exposed but I paid, then I dont know now if I need a new side panel if it doesnt hold and IM NOT glueing alo pendejo this part.

NOw, in light of other major things in the world, this is insignificant and petty, but I get specifically angry at the lack of respect, care and detail and hurriedness of the job, the lack of attention to caring for some else's property, thats the issue. Its like a ding by a jerk. I'll get over it, just need to let it out, I now have to spend a little time and mend small details but really, never again.

Last edited by SNOWti; 01-15-2010 at 12:18 PM.
SNOWti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:09 AM   #2
tiFreak

Vehicles

that really sucks, there's plenty of members in SoCal, couldn't hurt to post the name so no one else gets screwed by this guy
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
MacUser

That's why I'm trying to do as much stuff as possible on my own. That way, I know what's been broken and who broke it! Also, I go to realoem.com and find out the prices of various parts ... you don't want to break a $25 part trying to protect a $2 part from breaking. Looking at the diagrams, I can predict which parts I'm going to break and order them ahead of time.

Doesn't Pelican Parts sell the headliner preinstalled on that pre-cut-to-fit composite material???
MacUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:46 AM   #4
SNOWti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
that really sucks, there's plenty of members in SoCal, couldn't hurt to post the name so no one else gets screwed by this guy
Armando's Upholstery in East Hollywood off of Santa Monica and Ardmore. Avoid at all costs.

I had the work done previously on my silver ti and I was probably in more of a rush at the time, looked great afterwards and not until this happened on my white ti did I go BACK and notice the same sort of damage to the weather strip and inside body.

Never again do work with someone that does NOT speak fluid english, sorry, I speak spanish but I've HAD it with people who simply DO NOT understand caring for not only their property or valuable hard worked for things but OTHERS as well. I simply have NOT found a single person of that side... that does NOT do QUALITY work or know what they are doing. I can get nasty about it but I know that there will be a few offended but its been a proven fact for me to realize. I'll drive down to Irvine or something next time, pay double...! The standards are just not there. I do professional work in my field, I take care and pride in my work and consider every detail and care going in.

Learning lesson number 12.

Last edited by SNOWti; 01-16-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:39 AM   #5
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOWti View Post
Never again do work with someone that does NOT speak fluid fluent english
Fixed.

Sorry to hear about your experience, but that made me LOL. heh heh

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:44 AM   #6
SNOWti
Banned

Im so angry Im turning mislanguaged! ... that was pretty funny...!

By the way, whats a good method to remove slight messy epoxy glue on the inside of the windshield, the idiot left traces of his fingers leaving epoxy on the lower driver side inside windshield. I dont want or will use a razor as theres a good chance at scratching the glass. I may try goo gone and a hard plastic scraper, any special methods? Thanks!

Last edited by SNOWti; 01-16-2010 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:52 AM   #7
tiFreak

Vehicles

I use razor blades all the time to take inspection stickers off (old ones, I work in an inspection station ) and I've never scratched a windshield
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:01 AM   #8
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

+1 on the razor blades, I use them all of the time. Just make sure you use it to scrape, not cut. Now if the epoxy is on a tinted window, obviously you don't want to use a razor, but generally speaking, a razor isn't going to scratch the glass unless you intentionally try to gouge the corner of the blade into the glass.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:19 AM   #9
MacUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
Fixed.

Sorry to hear about your experience, but that made me LOL. heh heh
I chuckled when I saw that, too.

I don't think "fluid" is necessarily wrong in this case, but I agree that "fluent" was probably the word he was looking for.
MacUser is offline   Reply With Quote