318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Knowledge Base

Notices

Knowledge Base How to articles and things explained.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Comments, 98,848 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Comments, 61,722 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Comments, 59,084 Views
Comment Share/Bookmark

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2008, 05:27 AM  
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Default PERMANENT WINDOW FIX***DIY***

There's been plenty of threads, but none as detailed as this one. I'm confident that I have identified the source of our problems and developed a permanent solution.

I "fixed" my window many times before I finally got sick of dealing with it and was on the verge of retrofitting...

Last edited by cooljess76; 07-08-2010 at 09:42 AM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
By drrty byl on 09-15-2009, 07:03 PM

It's amazing how the windows will _not break_ again if you get new clips, position the felt, and set up the track properly. After 2+ years, I'm tempted to re-tint my passenger side window.
By thecoupe on 09-27-2009, 04:26 PM

What if I needed to buy the plastic sliders for the window regulator arms, can I find them or do I need new assembly
By drrty byl on 09-27-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoupe View Post
What if I needed to buy the plastic sliders for the window regulator arms, can I find them or do I need new assembly
Dealers carry the clips on the order of around $2-3 apiece.
By RallyJax on 10-12-2009, 04:17 AM

Thank you for this - you are a star! I have just started with this problem and attempted two repairs with two failures - and yes, its a huge embarrassment pulling up at a pay booth at the moment! I also wondered if the grease wasn't just gunking up due to age. I will start again this weekend and hopefully third time right!
By Phil Marx on 10-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Default More info on gluing door panel clip-supports

Great write-up. Much of this has been touched-on before by others here and elsewhere in dribbs and drabs. Nice to have all the methodology together in one post.

After doing this years ago with no repeats of regulator failure (knock on wood done), I recently had to revisit the passenger door panel because the door-panel clips all came apart. I delayed, thinking it was one on which I'd already fixed the panel-clip supports but yesterday I found out it wasn't so I was in relatively virgin territory except for #9 and
#10 clips which had apparently been done with hot-glue by the dealer under warranty for the previous owner (tip: don't waste your time with hot glue!).

So, knowing my drivers door panel repair had worked for well over four years, I set out to apply that same method to this panel and I thought I'd add to this post with my resolution of the door-panel problem.

My first deviation from the method offered in the first post here is to NOT remove the factory glue which has never come loose from the door panel. It doesn't bond well to the plastic clips but it is obstinately tenacious on the fiberboard panel. If you don't remove it it makes positioning the clip supports so much easier as they fit only one way in the original blob of adhesive, and the numbers are visible in the adhesive blob to properly orient the supports.

I did, however, use a medium sandpaper to rough-up the contact surface on the old adhesive blob where the support seats, working around the molded number to help re-positioning the supports. Next I took each support and drilled six holes of about 1/8" in diameter in the supports from the contact side (to minimize burrs on that surface. I put one in each corner, leaving enough around the edge and avoiding the little posts on some corners, and two in the middle which on some meant inside the "tower" on the support or close to it's base without causing any structural deficiencies. Then I sanded the contact surface of each base with the same medium sandpaper just enough to rough it up but not enough to obliterated the molded-in number.

I then mixed up about half the tubes of a small JB Weld "Quick" package with a popsicle stick cut like a chisel, and slathered it on each clip, one at a time, so that some entered each hole, and pressed each clip in place so the JB Quick oozes out the holes before applying the JB Quick to the next clip. You get about four minutes of working time before the JB Weld sets up so if you're quick (no pun intended) you can do all ten at once, or mix up some more for the last few, if you have to.

Let it setup for twelve hours. I went out to re-install the panel this morning and it was raining so I hurriedly snapped it in-place only to remember I'd forgotten to connect the speakers and the door panel had to come off. That would be a real test of the adhesive application—and they all passed!

Another frustration is the way the top of the door panel attaches to the door frame. When the clip supports fail the panel comes out of the metal clips at the door slot wiper and normally folks just try to press it back into place. Eventually the panel can crack horizontally along the upper edge, inside the curved section from the loose panel hanging on the door-opening gasket or other handling issues. This time I carefully removed the six-or-so top metal clips with the wiper molding still attached to them by prying the tabs gently out of the recesses in the door skin. I then installed the entire strip with the clips on the panel taking care to note depressions indicating past position, and slipped the door-panel assembly over the door slot edge and snapped it all in place against the raised window glass. It was much simpler than I thought it would be and actually easier than trying to get the panel to "bite" into the clips while they are still attached to the door. I believe this is how the old BMW manuals showed how to do it on a 2002 but I don't bother with the manuals on the newer cars so Bentley may already show this as the proper procedure. Or not.

All the clips lined up perfectly, with only a small bit of crawling underneath to help the alignment to the hole due to the free-play within the clip supports, and that darn panel fits as well as it ever did, which isn't really saying much since the crappy production standards on these little cars never had them fitting that well at the top of the rear-edge of the doors even when new.

Anyway, just thought I'd add that wordy addition to a great thread so others might benefit from my experience. I hope never to have to go in there again! As cheap insurance, I've kept a new-in-bag window regulator in the trunk for four years, not telling the car which side it's for. I think it's scared-straight!
Last edited by Phil Marx; 10-23-2009 at 07:13 PM..
By RallyJax on 10-23-2009, 08:39 PM

Thanks for the clip info - that's been doing my head in! I will make an attempt this weekend with your advice and hopefully get this door sorted out once and for all!!
Cheers!
By Dipperd on 01-28-2010, 02:54 PM

Great write up - very helpful and has *almost* solved my problem.

The issue i have is that the window (RHD - drivers side) goes up and down ok now but about half an inch from being fully up, it tilts forward which means that the rear of the window is out of the frame so that there is a gap of about 3 mm.

Anyone know how to sort that?

Thanks
By cooljess76 on 01-28-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipperd View Post
Great write up - very helpful and has *almost* solved my problem.

The issue i have is that the window (RHD - drivers side) goes up and down ok now but about half an inch from being fully up, it tilts forward which means that the rear of the window is out of the frame so that there is a gap of about 3 mm.

Anyone know how to sort that?

Thanks
You can remove the rear guide completely. There's a rubber plug towards the bottom of the door which when removed will aloow access to a 10mm bolt. Remove the bolt and the guide slides out. From there, you can inspect the guide, glue in the felt lining etc. When you reinstall it, IIRC, there's a hook or bracket that secures it on the top end, make sure it engages, then replace the lower bolt.
By Shellback on 01-31-2010, 08:07 PM
Default Hope the images show up on post

Outstanding write up. I started tackling this project the other day when one of my windows decided to crap out. I also took a few photos of my progress.

Door handle trim. Note: When removing, push forward. As you can see, the clips are shaped like little arrows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 door handle trim.jpg (62.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 2 handle trim.jpg (57.8 KB, 68 views)
By Shellback on 01-31-2010, 08:09 PM

Clips that are glued on door panel. Notice some have become unglued while removing the door panel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 clip attached.jpg (99.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 4 clip no. 1.jpg (85.9 KB, 70 views)
By Shellback on 01-31-2010, 08:12 PM

Clip no. 10 unglued off panel
Foam glued on door.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5 clip no. 10.jpg (102.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 6 foam cover.jpg (55.0 KB, 69 views)
By Shellback on 01-31-2010, 08:17 PM

Speaker wires.
Quick question....Can I reuse these for aftermarket speakers?
I'm planning on getting infinity components speakers. Woofer will go to kick panel, and tweeter will go to mid range cavity on door.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7 speaker wires.jpg (35.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 8 speaker wires2.jpg (35.4 KB, 33 views)
By Shellback on 01-31-2010, 08:20 PM

Removing foam panel from door. As you can see, this stuff is very messy/sticky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9 black glue.jpg (59.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 10 messy glue.jpg (54.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 11 messy glue2.jpg (51.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 12 goo.jpg (37.9 KB, 63 views)
By Shellback on 01-31-2010, 08:25 PM

The following images are of the gooey stuff you will find on the window track/channel. I decided to clean this stuff out using a rag and general purpose cleaner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13 goo on pin.jpg (52.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 14 goo on pin2.jpg (44.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 15 more goo.jpg (50.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 16 frosting goo.jpg (58.8 KB, 82 views)
By Shellback on 01-31-2010, 08:30 PM

Removed glass from door. Not only did I clean the metal channels, but I also removed the limo tint – it was just not my style.

That's it for now. I will download a few more later.
Once again, thank you for an awesome DIY writeup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17 glass removed.jpg (45.6 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 18 cleaning glass.jpg (61.3 KB, 105 views)
Last edited by Shellback; 01-31-2010 at 08:33 PM..
Comment