318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,310,698 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 405,615 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-20-2005, 01:05 AM   #1
first_bmw

Default Dead Ti...

Lately I had been having this Problem with my Ti, I would go th start it, and it wont start, I will turn the key and I will hear a click, a whine sound and then a release of air, like Psssssssst. and then Nothing.

Othertimes It seems like when I try and Autostart it, It sounds as if a Motor spins and Spins under the hood but wont Catch on anything, then it ends with a click. Ususally in these cases I trun the key back off wait 5 seconds and all is good, Not today.

Went to the dentist today for a Root Canal, Walked out, already an Pain... And the damn TI just Cranks and Cranks, Its a Strong Powerfull crank, Not like a dead battery or anything, The more I try The more it cranks... Never catching, but never getting Weaker on the crank either. Once more and it Kinda sounds like a motor like a compressor spins, and ends with that Release of air type of Sound.... I like it sit 20 mins, then an hour... Goes back to Just Cranking the engine, never catching,,,

SO in comes the TowTruck, and Off to a local Import car shop seeing a bm'er dealership is like 40miles away and its a $75.00 hookup and $3.00 a mile.

I am thinking the Fuelpump ?!?

Any Ideas on what this could be, or the cost ?!?!
If the Pump, is it in the Tank ?!?

So the Import car shop cant touch it till monday at least. Untill then....... Enterprise, IMPALA. .. Got an Impala Rental ...Going to beat it up !!

And I just Bought my car a present YESTERDAY !! and this is how it repays me !! Just Threw in New HID's Yestreday...They are SWEET !!! But now I am stuck w/ this Impala ...

T.I.A,
first_bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 02:38 AM   #2
first_bmw

So.....

30 views, No replys....

The TI was towed to the shop, they can even look at it for 2 more days...
And I am scared this could be a costly job....

In the past when I tried to start it it would exibit a whirling sound for 3 seconds
or so then a PSSSST sound like air coming out... Other times on Autostart it would Grind for 5 seconds or so then Shut off.... And of course now.. Its in the shop.

Concerned... Any Ideas ?!?
Old 08-21-2005, 02:47 AM   #3
cali-ti
aka Stabby

where are these different sounds coming from (whirling sound, pssssst sound, etc)? fuel pump usually runs for 5+ seconds when key is put into accessory mode or when you attempt to start and would/should sound like it's coming from the back of the car (it's under the back seat). does the starter run? know if you're getting spark or not? you need air, fuel and spark for it to go ...
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 04:16 AM   #4
first_bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
where are these different sounds coming from (whirling sound, pssssst sound, etc)? fuel pump usually runs for 5+ seconds when key is put into accessory mode or when you attempt to start and would/should sound like it's coming from the back of the car (it's under the back seat). does the starter run? know if you're getting spark or not? you need air, fuel and spark for it to go ...

Im geting Spark, Whirling sound and ALL sounds coming from Engine Bay.

I havent a clue what the problem is.... It is very simmular to a car
not getting GAsoline, Cranks and Cranks, but no start.
But Sometimes on Crank it goes zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
And then it like times out, as if the starter did not engage... I guess
my biggest concern is its an automatic, and I guess theres a clutch plate
in the tranny that May be missing teeth ?? UGH!!!

Hoping for the best...
Old 08-22-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
first_bmw

FUEL PUMP, Its a ****ty FUEL PUMP....

And they want to replace the Fuel Filter as well....

Its $375.00 Inc Labor, Is this High ?@?@

Either way, Its there at the shop and has to be done...

-
Old 08-22-2005, 08:26 PM   #6
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i've heard they aren't cheap to replace so my GUESS is that's reasonable (not having had it done or purchased a fuel pump myself).
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:35 PM   #7
pdxmotorhead

In general a high pressure fuel pump is roughly 200. Assuming BMW price updates have been applied it sounds like your paying for an hour or two of labor Plus the pump. Seems ballpark to me...

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:25 AM   #8
first_bmw

Just called....

Total Came to $400.00....

Service guy said my Right Lower Ball Joint is Shot , worn out , Kaputt!!

He recemmends Replacing the whole Control arm, at the $$ of $285.00
Rather than just the joint at $ 185.00

Also he stated I should replace the Serpinine belts, about $140.00 installed for both.

Any Ideas He stated he just went for a Short drive due to the Ball joint...

It makes NO NOISE that I ever noticed. Am I getting Took ?!?
Steering is Tight also....

Just stated there was Play in it, that it is pretty worn out /.....

Second Opinion ?!?