318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
Today 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,288,494 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 397,012 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-06-2009, 02:11 AM   #1
318ti_IL

Default Need help / heating line problem

Connecting line 2 (lower from Heater Valve pic 1), one going to back of engine is broken. I check hose and find out plastic thing where you connect hose to back of engine broke/fall apart (found piece in the hose pic 2)
Can anyone tell me more about that connecting part and maybe direct me to some pictures of that part and back side of engine? How to replace this ?
Thanks in advance.

318ti_IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
318ti_IL

I found part at BMW dealership in Schaumburg (they called connector), here is the pic.
Can anyone point me to some guide how to replace this?

Old 03-06-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
dave45056

Are you sure that's the right part?
That is located under the intake manifold on the side of the engine block.
You said it was on teh back of the engine. On M44 engines theer is another y-connector made from the same material as that one.

If that is the correct one, it is a little tough to replace. You have to remove the upper and lower intake manifolds to do it, though.

Check out this thread:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18066
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:26 AM   #4
318ti_IL

I take broken part and show them, also explained that part is located on the back side of engine and they give me that.
Now when i look this par this looks like one i need. I was not sure anymore. Tomorrow i will try to take picture on the car

I just want out and looks like they give me wrong one. This is the one i need. Thanks for your reply ~!

Old 03-08-2009, 05:16 AM   #5
318ti_IL

I replace part from last picture (yes, it was hard to do it) but my car heating now (radiator fen not starting). Tomorrow i will try to take thermostat out, and run car with out thermostat. If everything else is ok, getting new thermostat on Monday morning.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
ronomonroe

Any tips as to how you did it? Mine just broke this afternoon and I've started to try to get at it from up top and it's going to be damn near impossible to do.
ronomonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:43 PM   #7
318ti_IL

I'm a left handed so i use that. This is how i did...

I remove battery and battery holder, stick my hand inside on that location (there is a opening - hole under battery) and i was able to reach that part on the back. I took a lots of time because there no much space back there (when taking off old part or put new one you can't do full cycle with screws, you do quoter of cycle at time) but that is how i did it.

Forget to add, I disconnect part from engine and then pull out hose on right side and pull up and out together with connector on it. After that connect that hose to new part and push part back with hose on it. I did did because no way that you connect hose to part if you put part on engine (no space to reach)
To do this i needed to remove marked things

After finish that went to battery side again, put my hand inside and connect part back on engine.

Here is location of that part (just couple inches deeper)

I also replaced thermostat and you will need gallon or two of coolant until car gets heat and kick air out of system. Start your car and when car heat up (gets regular temperature working for at least couple minutes), turned off and let it cool. Then check coolant and add little bit more over maximum and start again...

You will need to repeat this several times. First time when i started car i did it with opened bottle so air can go out much easier (you will see bubbles and coolant will spill).

When doing this don't forget to put your heat on hot (that is needed because small radiator - heating radiator will take coolant in only if you do this.

Good luck and let me know did you do it
Old 12-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #8
tabber

Hi there,
I need to replace Y connector on my M44 (318is). I am handy with both of my hads (was born left handed and converted to right)
Can you tell me please - will I be able to remove two bolts (top and bottom) from the left side (battery side)? Is it possible to remove from the right hand side? The left side seems to be very tight with two lines from Air conditioning system on the way.
Thanks
tabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:09 AM   #9
318ti_IL

Part is located little bit to the left on picture so right on actual car side (right behind bmw cover as marked) you should be fine if you approach from battery side. If you battery mount has opening (under battery) like 318ti thats even better (i used that opening to reach in). When it comes to driver side as far i remember there is too many things on your way including engine component, muffler and even body or wires. Dont have car anymore but as much i remember battery side is easy and only option unless you want to take half components out. You will be able to remove both screws from battery side. Problem is 1. wont be able to see anything (touch feeling is what locate screws or holes to put them back) 2. Because of tight space you wont be able to make full circle with wrench (so this will take time) and as far i remember space limitation forced me to use specific wrench (i think open type wrench (fork looking instead of closed ring looking) but it might be opposite as well, it was long ago and don't remember size of it. This just wasn't hard, it was just slow. Hope this was helpful to you, it was years ago. Sorry for typos (if any) I am using mobile device, and I am glad if this helps to anyone even if I don't have bmw anymore. Happy holidays!
Old 12-24-2013, 04:32 AM   #10
tabber

Thanks for the fast reply, really appreciate it!
Happy Holidays to you too - best wishes!
tabber is offline   Reply With Quote