318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 966,287 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,972 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-08-2005, 12:15 AM   #1
maherbaz

Default carbon fiber hood

I am going to get a new hood soon, and I'm thinking cf. There are a lot of pretty cheap cf hoods on Ebay, and the sellers get good reviews. Does anyone have any experience with cf hoods/sellers?
Old 12-08-2005, 12:41 AM   #2
cali-ti
aka Stabby

the only one i know of off the top of my head that has a cf hood is clex2. if he doesn't respond here in a day or two, i'd try PMing him. i'd also like to know
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:53 AM   #3
Juni

Didnt the one that clex had fly off the car on the highway?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:00 AM   #4
HuGo

i was gonna buy a carbon fiber hood, but i got angel eys/halo projector headlights instead. I would still want a cf, but if its flying off cars, then f*ck that.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:30 AM   #5
lkwd318ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juni
Didnt the one that clex had fly off the car on the highway?
No, I think that was Hellrot332ti.
Clex2 is the guy who has Ben Liaw's car.

FYI...
If you ARE going to get a Carbon Fiber hood, you would need to get the 4 door sedan one.
Wouldn't want you to buy the wrong one.
(318ti- A pillar and forward is basically a 318i sedan.)
Now Featuring:318ti.org sticker Now featuring: Hartge exhaust|Blacked out Grilles|Front Clear Corners or Ambers depending on how I feel|325is vented front brakes|Bilstein Sports|H&R Sports|E46 RSMs w/ Z3 reinforcment plates|16" Style 45s|17" E46 M68 rims|18" Authentic Hartge Classics C|OEM M135 ZHP wheels
and
99 Titan Silver 323is Dinan S1+few more mods
Coming sometime in the future:...SCed 2.1...new (to me) car mod maybe?...all in one car
lkwd318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:15 AM   #6
clex2

Hello,

Yes, I have heard of CF hoods flying off too, but not mine. Mine has seen 100+ mph repeatedly on the track and has once seen 155 mph and I can tell you that my CF hood stays put and doesn't even flop around like I have heard others doing. My friend in his car going right along side me reports the hood is 100% stable at speed.

There are many "CF" hoods out there, but as far as I know, the best ones are made by VIS and MA Shaw. I have the VIS hood and I use the stock hood latches. I'm sure that hood pins would almost guarantee the hood not flying up, but, I'm sorry, but that's just too ugly on a street car.

VIS runs about $400 and MA shaw is $700, and to get the CF weave look on the outside, you have to special order that from MA shaw, which may cost even more $$$. I believe both are not 100% CF, but have a fibergalss/resin core. In anycase, it's way lighter then steel, 50lbs vs 13-15 lbs. As for the look of CF, it's beautiful up close, but pretty much looks ricer black from a distance. I keep vasilating between keeping it the way it is or having it painted.

I can vouch for the quality of the VIS hood. I would say look at the underside of the hood. Mine looks just like the factory, with the crossbracing and all. It's as if thay took a mold of the stock hood and replicated it in CF. All the mounting points on the stock hood are on the VIS hood. The hood liner attaches perfectly, so do the washer nozzles. The hood latches, hood shock mounting points, and pivot points all have metal treads imbeded in the structure. Iwas even able to mount an OEM engine hood light on the underside per factory instructions.

One thing I think helps keep the hood in place is the small rubber strip running along the front underside of the hood. Those of you with stock hoods should be able to see it with the hood open. IT seems to seal the front edge of the hood. I would think that most people who get a CF hood ignore this piece. I went ahead and mounted mine back on....again the accurate reproduction by VIS of the stock hood allows for this to happen. If air can't get under the hood, the more it's going to stay on your car.

Lastly, once you go CF, you have to forget about pressurized hood shocks. They are too strong and will bend your hood. What you can do is detailed in this BF.c thread:

......which I will link to when BF.c is back up again.
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
clex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:31 AM   #7
cali-ti
aka Stabby

thanks for the info clex2 and i'll be interested to read what you link to regarding the hood shocks. i'd certainly like to retain some form of automatic hood shock mechanism as that sets the bmw's apart from the common use of a stick to keep it up. i'm contemplating a CF hood but don't know yet. a lot of other stuff to complete before i even think about body work.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:55 AM   #8
hellrot332ti

Im about to get another carbon hood. My last one was an Erebuni and it straight sucked. I had pilot automotive hood locks and no factory latch. The cheap head locks broke on the freeway and the hood flew up. This time im getting ethier a VIS or a Seibon hood, and i will be using the stock latches to hold it down and the rubber strip across the front. Do not buy Pilot automotive carbon hood locks. They are cheap and they do not stand behind thier product.
hellrot332ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 04:21 AM   #9
clex2

Link to BF.c thread on hood shocks for CF hoods......

http://bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245802

Post #3
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
clex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 12:51 AM   #10
SDKmann

Hellrot332ti: Where did you get your rims? They look great!
SDKmann is offline   Reply With Quote