318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,062,906 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-28-2008, 01:00 AM   #1
themightyquinn

Default I want more power...dicsuss how I can get it!

We all know the M44s (M42s for some of you '95 guys) in our ti's aren't the most powerful engines ever produced. The ti is light, but not light enough that 138hp/133tq feels very fast (don't get me wrong, it's pretty quick for a 4-banger).

I recently started thinking about how I could get some more power out of my ti. My current engine has 145k miles, and will probably need some expensive maintenance soon (headgasket/timing chain, cooling system, etc.). It doesn't make a lot of sense to throw money into the M44 with high mileage. Here's some options I've come up with:

1) M50/M52 swap. I haven't looked into this much, but its been done before, and I don't think it would cost too much. I know the M50 is OBDI, but the conversion doesn't seem to bad. With the M52 being OBDII already...would it be easier to just find an M52 or convert everything to OBDI with the M50? Would probably freshen up the donor motor (mild headwork/replace gaskets, etc.).

2) Metric Mechanic M44 rebuild. Seems like it could be the most costly option. Would drive to them and have them install. They claim 170hp/~$8k or 205hp/~$10k. Completely built motor/0 miles. Maybe throw a DASC on down the road.

3) Rebuild current M44/buy another M44 with lower mileage and rebuild that. Then DASC.

All options have different pros/cons obviously. I'd want to find a really low mileage transmission for whatever path I went (6-cyl/4-cyl). I plan on swapping differentials to LSD (probably go with a medium case e30 to accommodate more power). This might not happen for some time, and I plan on upgrading the suspension to 318ti spec components (will this be a problem if I decide to swap in the 6-cyl?

What do you guys think? Is it worth it to spend all the money on a MM rebuild, to get a basically "new" 0 mile engine, still putting out 170 or 250hp? The ti is a unique BMW to be sure, and having that little 4-banger under the hood I feel only adds to that. Some might argue that a ti with a straight 6 is unique too. How do you guys feel?

Discuss. (sorry for the book!)

Current euro: Black MkIII VW Gti VR6
themightyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:09 AM   #2
Ji Money

I like the Metric Mechanic option. It's very expensive, but it is a new 0 mileage motor like you said.

McLaren F1 - BMW M Power S70/2
Ji Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:24 AM   #3
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Whichever you decide, I just want to thank you for acknowledging the fact that FI is not a good idea for higher mileage engines. Personally, I'd recommend an m52 swap. Then later, if you feel the need for more power, you'll have plenty of room to grow.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:56 AM   #4
themightyquinn

Haha, thanks Jess, seems sorta like common sense

Would I need to change up the suspension to 328 front setup if I swapped the M52?

Ill probably call around and talk to some people to get an idea about pricing...that might be the deciding factor...

Old 08-28-2008, 02:37 AM   #5
LimitlessTI

I would agree with Jess, at least M50 or M52 . Simply because there is more options for tuning and more room to gain more horsepower out of those engines verses our little m42/m44's.
LimitlessTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:57 AM   #6
Philly

yes quinn, you would need to upgrade front suspension, front brakes and clutch. As well as address the exhaust issue.

as for cost, well that all depends how much work you do and how much you get the motor for.

I can't say what an average cost would be because I had some unforeseen issues and had to buy alot of little thing that skyrocket'd the price... but be prepared to have about $3k to do it right.

328Ti

Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:00 AM   #7
Kohote

How about an ls1 swap? It shouldn't cost more than the mm option and you would start with a lot more power than any of the options you listed. The possibilities would be endless...
Kohote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:32 AM   #8
themightyquinn

Philly...so upgrade to 328i fronts? I planned on doing a big brake swap sometime so that's a non-issue. What if I bought some Bilstein sports/H&R sports for the car in a month...would I later need to replace the 318ti Bilstein/H&R fronts with 328i Bilstein/H&R fronts?

Philly, is there any good documentation/info you could point me in the direction of? I'm mechanically inclined, but haven't tackled anything more than suspension work, and don't have access to a lift/tools (currently...that might change). How long did actually removing the engine/swapping in the M52 and related components take? (IE: amount of time I'd need a engine hoist/lift/etc)

Old 08-28-2008, 05:37 AM   #9
spidertri

Vehicles

Eventually (read: when I get a real job...) I would like to do something along the lines of an S42 build.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&highlight=s42

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:41 PM   #10
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohote View Post
How about an ls1 swap? It shouldn't cost more than the mm option and you would start with a lot more power than any of the options you listed. The possibilities would be endless...
I'd say go with that seeing as you mention being "unique" in your post
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:46 AM   #11
themightyquinn

Har har har har!

spider that S42 build is absolutely nasty looking! I think that even by the time I have a real job I won't have enough know-how to do something like that!

Old 08-30-2008, 02:10 AM   #12
Fagerheim

Why dosn't anyone build a Turbo engine... i dont belive that supercharger is a good power boost on small engines...
Im thinkin of building a M52B25 turbo engine... will do 280+ hp at 0,5bar pressure...
and it got good possibilities to do even more...
This aint so expencive... I think I would use around 5600$ in norway (in norway everything is very expencive) .... maby more...
Anyone know if the M44 clutch and gearbox fits on M52 ?
and if the 328 front springs fits on OEM shocks or 318ti Coilover shocks ?
Fagerheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:52 PM   #13
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fagerheim View Post
Anyone know if the M44 clutch and gearbox fits on M52 ?
it does, plenty of swapped ti's are running the stock transmission
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #14
LimitlessTI

The stock diffs are what you have to worry about. Its not if they will break, its when. I will be putting an E30 3.73lsd or 3.43lsd in mine. Havent completely decided yet.
LimitlessTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:59 AM   #15
Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by themightyquinn View Post
Philly...so upgrade to 328i fronts? I planned on doing a big brake swap sometime so that's a non-issue. What if I bought some Bilstein sports/H&R sports for the car in a month...would I later need to replace the 318ti Bilstein/H&R fronts with 328i Bilstein/H&R fronts?

Philly, is there any good documentation/info you could point me in the direction of? I'm mechanically inclined, but haven't tackled anything more than suspension work, and don't have access to a lift/tools (currently...that might change). How long did actually removing the engine/swapping in the M52 and related components take? (IE: amount of time I'd need a engine hoist/lift/etc)

Sorry for the late reply... im back to working again - boo

As for the brakes... you'd have to take care of them relatively soon after doing the swap. I ran mine for a little but it didn't even feel right.

FWIW, if the BBK upgrade is not in the near future, a front brake conversion can be done for about $200.
I got 2 used calipers from BavAutoRecyclers of Ebay for $50 plus shipping and a 6mo warranty. Some new rotors ($120 for me) + pads ($100) and your geared.

Suspension, Im still using the H&R 4cyl springs, and that is not fun... I can't have much fun in the twisties or I bottom out (due in part to my massive tires). I plan on purchasing 2.8L Z3 springs when I have some spare cash, Im assuming they will do the trick for what Im after.
But Im sure if you bought H&Rs for the Ti with the M4x engine, that when/if you swapped, im sure someone here would grab them up pretty quickly to buy the proper ones.

As for documentation, J!m here on the forums sells a very handy little manual. It doesn't explain everything (little obvious things you should know anyways if tackling such a project), but it will explain everything your going to question when doing your swap and what parts you may need. It was one of the best things I bought while doing this. If you don't want to spend the cash, go to the swap section and look at Phamsters thread as well as Bluebimmas thread (if u can sift through a gazillion pages of nothing), those threads helped me alot more than I coulda hoped for.

How long? Well it took alot longer than anticipated but if you really had it all figured out in your head, and made sure you had everything you need, you could do it in a few weekends.
I ran into alot of little problems along the way.
Originally I had planned to rent a hoist and pull the motor myself, but that wasn't feasable, so I took it to my mechanic (with everything disconnected and the whole front end off the car) and all he had to do was disconnect the driveshaft and hook a chain up and pull the engine/tranny. Then I had him put the tranny on the 2.8 - mainly cause I didn't quite trust myself to install my clutch/pp/fw on properly and he just dropped it all in for me, reconnected the driveshaft and then I took back to my house and finished up the wiring, put front clip back on, swap diff, etc etc etc etcteceteetc.

In all honesty, its very easy, everything is basically plug and play.... I had little to no mechanical experience other than tinkering here and there and I pulled it off.... but I did a helluvalot of reading around and asking questions.

oh and as far as tools, everything I did - front bumper/grill, cooling system, brake swap, etc - was done with a 72pc socket/wrench set + a tq wrench + a couple other random tools. It doesn't take much to tear these cars apart

328Ti

Philly is offline   Reply With Quote