318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Knowledge Base

Notices

Knowledge Base How to articles and things explained.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Comments, 990,355 Views
Comment Share/Bookmark

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2008, 05:27 AM  
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Default PERMANENT WINDOW FIX***DIY***

There's been plenty of threads, but none as detailed as this one. I'm confident that I have identified the source of our problems and developed a permanent solution.

I "fixed" my window many times before I finally got sick of dealing with it and was on the verge of retrofitting...

Last edited by cooljess76; 07-08-2010 at 09:42 AM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
By spidertri on 03-19-2010, 10:27 PM

Quick question, my window is out of the door right now, I cleaned all the old grease out of the tracks like Jesse said. I bought new sliders because the old ones broke.

First I tried the brown bearing grease that Jesse recommended, the new sliders fit so tightly in the track that they just pushed all the grease out of the way when I slid them with my hand. So I went out and bought some teflon dry lube that others mentioned and while it did help somewhat the sliders still seem too tight in the tracks. I haven't reinstalled the window yet to see if the regulator can move it.

Are the new sliders supposed to be that tight? Should I try a different grease?
By fieldhb on 03-20-2010, 01:46 AM
Default Sliders from Bav Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
Quick question, my window is out of the door right now, I cleaned all the old grease out of the tracks like Jesse said. I bought new sliders because the old ones broke.

First I tried the brown bearing grease that Jesse recommended, the new sliders fit so tightly in the track that they just pushed all the grease out of the way when I slid them with my hand. So I went out and bought some teflon dry lube that others mentioned and while it did help somewhat the sliders still seem too tight in the tracks. I haven't reinstalled the window yet to see if the regulator can move it.

Are the new sliders supposed to be that tight? Should I try a different grease?
I am not sure if you have the same issue that I had, but when I got my sliders from Bav Auto, they didn't seem to fit too well either.
I checked the part number with real OEM and compared the sliders to the sliders I took out, and everything seemed to match up, but the sliders seemed a little too wide.
So i took a pliers, and "Squished them" a little bit. then greased them up with brown bearing grease and they slid real nice.
The window has been working good for 6 months now.
By cooljess76 on 03-20-2010, 06:59 AM

IDK man, I reused my old sliders. Maybe our old ones were just worn so much that they fit loosely in the tracks?
By spidertri on 03-20-2010, 11:39 PM

Thanks guys, I squished my sliders and used the bearing grease and it was perfect. I should mention that I bought my sliders from Pelican parts, maybe OE BMW are slightly better?

Ended up that both my regulator arms were bent, the front one more so. Once I got those where they needed to be everything went smoothly. Only other issue was the rear window guide had slid down, so I replaced it. Gotta say, every time I slammed the door I cringed, hah, but the window never popped out of the vertical tracks.

Thanks for the great write up Jesse, and thanks to everyone else who posted tricks and ideas.
By budget76 on 03-21-2010, 12:04 AM

FWIW I bought my sliders from pelican and had the same thing, they fit tight. I wound up just sliding them by hand a bunch and they loosened up.
By cooljess76 on 03-21-2010, 08:34 AM

Killer! glad it helped
By Chris S on 03-29-2010, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the guide, hopefully it will stay together this time!

Just as pointer I found isopropyl alcohol helpful with clearing the old grease (the largerer hardened bits had been removed on a previous 'repair'). Also while the window is out after cleaning run the sliders up and down the runners attached to window. If you find some areas have high resistance run some wet and dry along the inside of the runner until it feels smooth all the way along. Should help the window runa bit smoother.
By sleighty on 04-07-2010, 06:28 PM

hi, ive just fitted a new regulator and sliders and i tried the window and the ball popped out of the slider again.

I think the slide guides had been reinstalled on the windows in the wrong place as they had clearly been done before. So i adjusted them and tried again, sadly it still popped out and ive noticed the regulator arm which keeps popping out is pulling away from the slider slightly, should i bend it back towards the slider? I was a bit worried about doing this as its all new parts.

Also when i refitted everything and put the window into the up position it all stayed together but the arm is very bent and the socket is only just staying in the slider. Also the slider itself is right on the edge of the channel itself. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help guys, just working through my car to get it perfect inside and out!
By roadblkx on 04-22-2010, 04:25 PM

thank you!! This was so helpful!!
By 95tiSpud on 04-22-2010, 04:50 PM

Regarding the sliders fitting too tight; I ran them back and forth across a file a few times until they fit a little better and the grease can get to the top and bottom of the sliders. Been working almost a year now..
By cooljess76 on 04-22-2010, 05:50 PM

For an excellent set of instructions on removal and replacement of the window regulator assembly Click Here Thanks Coop540iT
By wolferj-RIP on 05-13-2010, 04:36 AM

Once again, the collection of knowledge here is truly amazing, and benefits us all...

Jess, I too, heard that horrid sound today when I went to roll up my drivers window on the way home from work. So, I re-read the tutorial, tore apart the door, and had the window working like new in under an hour... Now I just have to wait for the JB weld to cure overnight (and tomorrow) to put the door panel back on.

Many Thanks!
By cooljess76 on 05-13-2010, 05:47 AM

Killer James! Glad it helped. JB Weld is awesome stuff. Once you glue those door panel posts on, they'll never come off again.
By cali_guy_559 on 05-15-2010, 07:17 PM

How hard is it to replace that rear window guide? Seems besides the dry lube, it is the cause of my problems. Without it, my windows slide back too far and when I try to bring it back up, the front end has slid out of the front guide. I want to do it myself... but it seems like it's going to be a huge PITA. Any words of advise?
By cooljess76 on 05-15-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_guy_559 View Post
How hard is it to replace that rear window guide? Seems besides the dry lube, it is the cause of my problems. Without it, my windows slide back too far and when I try to bring it back up, the front end has slid out of the front guide. I want to do it myself... but it seems like it's going to be a huge PITA. Any words of advise?
The rear guide comes off pretty easy. IIRC, it's just one 10mm bolt at the bottom of the door. You have to remove a rubber plug to access it.
Comment