318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 992,868 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-01-2005, 03:28 AM   #1
myblueTI

Default Omfg Snow!!!

Ok now be serious this is a thread about driving in the snow. I am here to post that i went out today and had alot of "fun" tonight in the snow. This is a threadwhere you can post all the bad things that you do with your car. So have at it.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:00 AM   #2
Juni

Last winter, I went drifting in the snow and ice in an empty mall parking lot. Loads of fun, until I hit a snow bank, and messed up my lux grill.
Juni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:12 AM   #3
AlaskaBlue

I love snow. Since there is nothing to do we go "drifting" So far no drifting accidents. Also went drifting in the slightly damp. It is fun. Probably not the best way to spend my time though.

Snow may not be so much fun this year though. Since I have roughly 3 inches of ground clearance at my lowest point.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:15 AM   #4
cali-ti
aka Stabby

ok, how about this one (not as good as the whirling trailer story in my old car, but ...):

it was snowing heavily a few years ago and i decided to take the interstate home figuring that would be better plowed and cleaner with the traffic. there was still a lot of snow on the ground and some slushy crap as well. forget if i had my snow tires on or not, but i was moving along pretty well. so well in fact, i decided to go about passing an 18-wheeler. bad idea. when i got up next to him, i started to fish tail (very possibly due to the sucking effect underneath the trailer). i started to lose it and luckily it headed for the cement barrier off to the left which was packed with snow from the repeated plowings. i got caught and pulled into the deeper snow towards the cement barrier, wedging in nicely, scraping all along the passenger side until it stopped moving. while cursing loudly, i just kept gunning it, rocking it, trying to get it out of the snow bank that way since i had no shovel and the snow was quite a ways up the drivers side such that i would have had to get out the passenger side (into traffic). luckily, i was able to finally get it out that way and move slowly back into traffic. i didn't even want to stop and look at the drivers side of the car after hearing it scrape into the hard packed snow. i could only imagine what it would look like and i didn't want to get even more pissed off before i got home.

i drove for another 45 mins or so and pulled into the garage. i got out of the car slowly and looked it over. i couldn't freakin' believe it ... NO DAMAGE! i thanked God and had a drink
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:25 AM   #5
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

I'll drink to that!

I usually go out driving when the snow is still nice and fluffy. I've only had the LSD in 2 snowfalls so far but I can tell it's going to be awesome. I'll do the right thing next time it snows....video tape it!

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:28 AM   #6
cali-ti
aka Stabby

lol ... aren't you the one who had the cops visit for the drifting on top of the parking ramp? this time when videotaping, make sure you make a clean getaway
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 12-01-2005, 04:45 AM   #7
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
lol ... aren't you the one who had the cops visit for the drifting on top of the parking ramp? this time when videotaping, make sure you make a clean getaway
$135 well spent. I had it coming. The funny thing was that I got a mandatory court date out of it. The owner wanted me to pay restitution because of the black marks I left EVERYWHERE. Luckily he was understanding when I called him, he dropped it. I still had to pay the damn fine.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 12-01-2005, 04:57 AM   #8
cali-ti
aka Stabby

did you use the, "the gas pedal was stuck and it was everything i could do to keep it from smashing into the wall" defense?

Old 12-01-2005, 05:15 AM   #9
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
did you use the, "the gas pedal was stuck and it was everything i could do to keep it from smashing into the wall" defense?
I should have tried that. I told him that I would keep it on the track from now on. Apparently he was a car-guy himself so he appreciated that. Now I just need to make it to the track, gotta hold up my end of the deal!

Ok, now back to the topic at hand....it just started snowing here, we're supposed to get 2-3 inches. Yippeeee!

'99 Dinan M3
Old 12-01-2005, 05:46 AM   #10
AlaskaBlue

How about we add post videos of you driving in the snow.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:04 AM   #11
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT
I'll drink to that!
Hell, I'm drunk to that (finals start soon, so it's my last chance).

In high school I remember using the e-brake to slide into a parking spot when it was snowing. It was picture perfect, except that the only person that saw was my passenger.

There were also late nights at school doing layout for the school paper (no innuendo there; good because most of the girls were mad nerdy) I would practice J-turns and full spins.

Maybe about two years ago, on the way to a ski resort in the morning, there was about 3-4" of fresh. My jackass friend in a ZJ was going about 50, and I was stupid enough to try and keep up. Spun out, hit a snowbank probably at 35, and got the car teetering on a rock ledge that was covered by the snow. Buddy had to drive 25 minutes back to the house to get his tow straps. Ended up totally missing first chair.

Then there are the Wal-Mart Sessions. After a snowstorm, the lots would be plowed leaving 20-30ft snowbanks. We would grab trucks, trashcans, shovels, skis and a waterski tow-rope and head out. Build up a jump, use the truck and two-rope for tow-ins, and go bank-to-bank.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:18 AM   #12
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
Hell, I'm drunk to that (finals start soon, so it's my last chance).

In high school I remember using the e-brake to slide into a parking spot when it was snowing. It was picture perfect, except that the only person that saw was my passenger.

There were also late nights at school doing layout for the school paper (no innuendo there; good because most of the girls were mad nerdy) I would practice J-turns and full spins.

Maybe about two years ago, on the way to a ski resort in the morning, there was about 3-4" of fresh. My jackass friend in a ZJ was going about 50, and I was stupid enough to try and keep up. Spun out, hit a snowbank probably at 35, and got the car teetering on a rock ledge that was covered by the snow. Buddy had to drive 25 minutes back to the house to get his tow straps. Ended up totally missing first chair.

Then there are the Wal-Mart Sessions. After a snowstorm, the lots would be plowed leaving 20-30ft snowbanks. We would grab trucks, trashcans, shovels, skis and a waterski tow-rope and head out. Build up a jump, use the truck and two-rope for tow-ins, and go bank-to-bank.
midwesterners really are starved for entertainment, aren't they? lol ... that's some crazy ****! did you race snowmobiles across water too?

Old 12-01-2005, 06:43 AM   #13
JPerfect

Cool snow = fun

Me and my ti have had some fun times in the snow. There's a HUGE parking lot behind a Stop and Shop near my house, with no poles or anything. Best part, they don't plow it because they have a big lot in front. So I just go into it at like 20mph or so, cut the wheel and keep the RPMs at about 3000-4000 in 2nd gear. I did 8 360s once. That's a 2880

Wish I had a video camera.

I don't like snow however, when I need to get home, since I live in a little valley, and I'm required to go up and over at least one hill. It's hard, especially when I catch that damn red light and start SLIDING backwards.
JPerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:30 AM   #14
aceyx

Quote:
midwesterners really are starved for entertainment, aren't they? lol ... that's some crazy ****! did you race snowmobiles across water too?
I did that when I was in central PA.

I did however, flip a sled (Ski-Doo Rev 600) about 14 times in the backcountry.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:21 AM   #15
Keach

My dad flipped a ski-doo sled as well. Was smaller than a 600, but was fun for me to ride when I was about 15. Could really move it around. He bought an early 90's polaris 600 (new at the time) and the thing still moves like a bat out of hell to this day.
Keach is offline   Reply With Quote