318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Transmission

Notices

Transmission Automatic, manual and shift lever discussions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 356,081 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-15-2004, 10:46 PM   #16
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY

Here is a picture comparing the three. Left is M3, then Z3, then standard

http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/lever18.jpg

hmmm. And here I thought I had a M3 lever, but the shifter I have is clearly the middle one. hmmmm... Anyone wanna trade?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:56 PM   #17
L84THSKY

So you have the Z3, and want the M-coupe?
Let me see how much I like the M-coupe shifter after next weekend, then I might trade. Should I assume you have the shifter lever in the car? I don't want to have my car down for repair waiting for your shifter, or vise versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB
hmmm. And here I thought I had a M-coupe lever, but the shifter I have is clearly the middle one. hmmmm... Anyone wanna trade?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:56 AM   #18
GDB

Quote:
So you have the Z3, and want the M3?
Let me see how much I like the M3 shifter after next weekend, then I might trade. Should I assume you have the shifter lever in the car? I don't want to have my car down for repair waiting for your shifter, or vise versa.
actually I haven't gotten around to installing it yet, I was waiting til i change my clutch to do it.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 02:41 PM   #19
L84THSKY

How about we make a deal. I plan on messing around with my shifter again this weekend. My M3 shifter is in the car right now. Would you be willing to send me your shifter, and I will see how it fits in my car. I ordered a brand new selector rod, so I would have all the combinations of parts I need to make my decision. If I used your lever, I would mail you mine. If I kept mine, I would mail your's back with $$ to cover your postage. How's that sound. Let me know ASAP. I would want the shifter to me by Saturday morning, so I can go to my brother's house and do the work. I'm assuming your shifter is brand new, mine is. Checkout my feedback on Ebay ID "L84THSKY" for confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB
actually I haven't gotten around to installing it yet, I was waiting til i change my clutch to do it.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 11-16-2004, 02:50 PM   #20
KIRASIR

You have seen this article, right?

http://www.emotors.ca/articles/article.aspx?ID=32

It is really as easy as Chris describes it.

SL

Quote:
How about we make a deal. I plan on messing around with my shifter again this weekend. My M3 shifter is in the car right now. Would you be willing to send me your shifter, and I will see how it fits in my car. I ordered a brand new selector rod, so I would have all the combinations of parts I need to make my decision. If I used your lever, I would mail you mine. If I kept mine, I would mail your's back with $$ to cover your postage. How's that sound. Let me know ASAP. I would want the shifter to me by Saturday morning, so I can go to my brother's house and do the work. I'm assuming your shifter is brand new, mine is. Checkout my feedback on Ebay ID "L84THSKY" for confidence.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:38 PM   #21
L84THSKY

I did see that, but didn't have my vise with me at my brother's house. I will attempt to bend the selector rod again this weekend. As for bending the shift arm, that jig may not be so simple to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRASIR
You have seen this article, right?

http://www.emotors.ca/articles/article.aspx?ID=32

It is really as easy as Chris describes it.

SL

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 11-22-2004, 02:39 AM   #22
L84THSKY

Default Finally finished the M3 shifter

Just got back from my brother's house. A very productive day. I rebent the selector rod, and now it sits dead center in neutral, and shifts perfectly in all gears, no rubbing.

Also did the X-brace upgrade, Stroming exhaust and the gas filter.

I will make comments about the three upgrades(x-brace/exhaust/gas filter) in their appropriate sections.

Forgot to bring the digital camera to my brothers, will take pics later.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 11-26-2004, 06:22 AM   #23
L84THSKY

Default Pics of the M3 shifter in the car

This will give you an idea of how short the M-coupe shifter is. I took 3 pics, neutral position, 2nd gear and 3rd gear. The difference in motion is very small.

You MUST bend the selector arm to make it fit correctly. Anyone who says different either doesn't have a M44 engine, or didn't do it themselves.

http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/Neutral.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/2ndGear.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/3rdGear.JPG

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 11-26-2004, 04:22 PM   #24
brucelee

That may be the issue. I have an M42 engine and the BMW folks swear this requires no bending with the M3 shifter (I assume they would have billed me if this were not true).

It is very very short and tons of fun!
brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 06:58 PM   #25
maurolin

this works. i am selling
Or tading for Ti lowering springs!

maurolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 07:58 PM   #26
Jared

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurolin
this works. i am selling
Or tading for Ti lowering springs!

Mauricio, I wouldn't get involved if this was a legit sale, but I'm not going to let you screw anyone on this board.

Mauricio recently posted this "short shifter kit" for sale on bimmerforums. Here is the link. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=283436

First he said that he's selling the shifter because "Won't fit my new Ti."

Now, this may or may not be a problem since he does have an M3 motor swap (don't remember if its 3.0 or 3.2)

However, the instructions on the UUC paper say "for 2001-2004 M3, 2000-2003 M5 models only."

FURTHERMORE, Rob Levinson, OWNER OF UUC, informed Mauricio: "FYI - your pic shows parts from two different shifter kits. More importantly, the shifter itself in the pic is not a UUC part... it is another brand."

Now, what do I know, maybe this will work on somebody's Ti. But I doubt it. You sure as hell don't know if it will work, although you clearly state that it will. At the very least, Mauricio, you should be telling people what they are paying for. Especially since you posted this here AFTER you received that post from Rob Levinson. That's just shady.

Good luck with your sale.
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:49 PM   #27
L84THSKY

Default Here are the videos

This is a link to 4 videos I made. Three are about the Stromung muffler, the other one shows the short shifter....ENJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucelee
That may be the issue. I have an M42 engine and the BMW folks swear this requires no bending with the M3 shifter (I assume they would have billed me if this were not true).

It is very very short and tons of fun!
http://iris.nyit.edu/~egrodsky/BMW/318ti.html

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 11-30-2004, 02:12 AM   #28
brucelee

Good stuff!
brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #29
bimmer95

Quote:
Here is a picture comparing the three. Left is M3, then Z3, then standard
http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/lever18.jpg
Dude, if you're going to steal my pictures, at least label them correctly. From left to right: M-Roadster, E36 M3/328, E36 318/323/328.

http://www.understeer.com
bimmer95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 05:57 PM   #30
L84THSKY

I got that pic from Ron Stygar's website

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer95
Dude, if you're going to steal my pictures, at least label them correctly. From left to right: M-Roadster, E36 M3/328, E36 318/323/328.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd