318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 994,560 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-26-2005, 08:16 PM   #1
ElementalFiend

Question To sell, or not to sell..

Well, I have been a reader of this site for a long while (though I don't post much), and the time has come to make a decision.

My Ti is now over 10 years old now, a 95 automatic. Its still in great mechanical condition, with around 93K on the dial, and is my daily driver. I love the car, but since I've done nothing but modify the exhaust system, I've always been a bit disappointed with its ability to get up and go.

Lately I've been window shopping new cars. A new BMW is simply too expensive, so I have ruled that out. But I am highly considering a Scion Tc, or a Subaru WRX. The WRX is of course my car of choice, but its also a lot more expensive. So my decision is this, do I sell my Ti and get a new/newer Tc or WRX, or do I garage my Ti for a short while, and go for the M3 swap.

I want a car that can actually spin its tires a little when I step on the gas, and my Ti simply can't do that But I know that would change if I finally go for the M3 swap which I have been considering for the last 5 years. Now that this swap has become more common and a lot cheaper to do.. I am seriously considering it.

The biggest problem is my car is an automatic, and I don't want an automatic anymore. Would it still be cost effective to do the swap and switch it to a manual? Or does that modification push me into a place where I should just get a different car?

I suppose I could just go out and buy another used manual Ti, but then I am getting a used car that could have any number of unknown problems. Also, that just adds to the amount of money its going to cost to finish the swap. What do you guys think?
Old 05-27-2005, 07:34 PM   #2
96cali

If you like the rest of the car (rims, tires, seats, color, etc) and it has been reliable, keep the car. If not you may as well sell it and wait till you are geared up to do a swap. You may find another swapped ti in the meantime and save $$. I am in a similar state of mind- I know I should sell but I'm attached.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:22 PM   #3
cali-ti
aka Stabby

seems it would be simple enough to change to a manual trans when/if you do the engine swap. a good number of people do the swap to the m3 trans when they swap to the m3 engine anyway. may need to change diffs then since the ratio for the autos is a good deal higher if memory serves. going to m3, you'd probably want a large case diff anyway. personal opinion, those scion's are fugly. wrx's are fun. probably be getting one of those for the woman here shortly when we move to denver. i'm keeping my ti and am contemplating an m3 swap in the future myself.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 04:14 AM   #4
ElementalFiend

Well i'm also concerned about the process of adding a clutch pedal.. how much work would that be?
Old 05-28-2005, 01:36 PM   #5
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i know someone here who just did this swap (installed manual trans in his 318ti with DASC) so let me see if i can get him into this discussion i'll send him a private message with a link to this thread. hopefully he can let you know how much work it is so you can make a more informed decision on it all.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 05-28-2005, 04:33 PM   #6
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalFiend
Well i'm also concerned about the process of adding a clutch pedal.. how much work would that be?
I just did the transmission swap on my '97 DASC'd ti about 1,000 miles ago. Very straight forward, very simple. Here is a very abbreviated list of what you do/need:

1. swap out your brake pedal for a brake and clutch pedal from any other e36 BMW. Get one with the clutch master cylinder on it already. (1 hr.)

2. Snip extra nipple off brake resevoir and run a hose from that down to your new clutch master cylinder. (5 minutes)

3. Remove all the crap under that car that is in the way. (exhaust, driveshaft, heatshield, etc..) (2 hrs.)

4. Unbolt tranny cross member, tilt tranny and motor back about 4 inches. Use 4' long extension and remove tranny bolts. (1 hr.)

5. Slide the crappy auto slush box out and kick it cause it sucks.

6. Installation is just the opposite.

It is a big project, similar in magnitude to installing my supercharger myself. Your car is OBDI, so you shouldn't get any check engine lights (I get some). It is like driving a new car. Also, I put a Limited Slip rear end in mine when I did the swap. I can drift like one of those japanese guys now (Ok, I'm still working on that)!!

Get a complete motor and transmission (and driveshaft) and you will be in good shape. I plan on doing the 3.2L swap within the next 2 years. Good luck!

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 07:20 PM   #7
ElementalFiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
i know someone here who just did this swap (installed manual trans in his 318ti with DASC) so let me see if i can get him into this discussion i'll send him a private message with a link to this thread. hopefully he can let you know how much work it is so you can make a more informed decision on it all.
Thanks, you rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT
5. Slide the crappy auto slush box out and kick it cause it sucks.
God I know, the car is a kitten off the line. A dead kitten. It rediculous. I hadn't even though of a limited slip, but that really sounds awesome. If I could drift in this car I would NEVER give it up.

But this is a big job, and considering I've never done more than routine maintenance.. I'm not sure I'd trust myself to it. Did you have access to a lift to get everything out from under the car? I wonder if the shop doing the swap would be willing to touch a project like this without tacking on an extra $5k.

But I must say that the process is easier than I was expecting. I was imagining cutting out the firewall and floor to mount the new pedals and such. But then again I don't really know what it looks like under there. Thanks for the information, you've certainly opened my eyes a bit.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:13 PM   #8
ElementalFiend

Well i've been talking about this with my dad. And I told him if I keep my Ti, all the things I would definitely do to it. Those things now include the M3 eng swap, auto to manual conversion, and the limited slip diff. He says, why not just buy an M3?

Well I looked into it, and with 2-door M3s selling for 10k out here in phoenix, I can't see a reason why not. I love the compact hatch of the ti, but an M3.. is an M3.

So all this is up in the air for now, going to take some hard thinking. But for now I am leaning more towards buying a stock used 95-96 M3, and having that as a performance starting point.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:42 PM   #9
cali-ti
aka Stabby

$10k seems a little low for one in good shape, i would expect more like $15k, but he certainly has a point. i would do some research on the type and cost of mods for 95 (OBDI) and 96+ (OBDII) m3s before you buy as well as what typical maintenance they might need right off the bat. i know there are some common problems that you'll want to check on (plastic impellered water pump, plastic thermostat housing).

Old 05-28-2005, 08:48 PM   #10
ElementalFiend

$10-15k seems to be the going rate for manual 2-door M3s here in Phoenix. Out where my dad lives they can be as high as $19.5k. But as with any used car, i'm sure none of the are perfect and will need work.

I've looked into it a little. The water pumps are a cheap fix, $80ish if it hasn't already been replaced. I'm not sure about the thermostat, but that seems like an easy fix also. I'm still not sure, but I have the better part of a year to decide, assuming my Ti doesn't crap out on me between now and then. I might even consider buying a used ti that already has a swap, but that kind of gets rid of the fun of having it done, or doing it yourself. I dont know.. so many options..
Old 05-28-2005, 09:13 PM   #11
cali-ti
aka Stabby

yeah, neither the water pump or plastic thermostat housing should be very expensive. just more of something to be aware of, not a reason not to get an m3, that's for sure. you can't really go too wrong with any bmw so no matter what, you'll end up with a good car

Old 05-28-2005, 09:16 PM   #12
ElementalFiend

Hah, I just looked up insurance rates. I can buy and insure both a '93 240sx Fastback and a '98 Civic Hatch and be paying less per month than an M3! And both of those are cars I would love to strip down and turn into street/track cars. Decisions... decisions...