318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,000,407 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #16
ChItalian1027

Vehicles

Once you get used to driving a manual, I would try rev matching. Basically what you do to rev match you push the clutch in put it in neutral rev to about 3000rpm with the clutch still engaged put it into fourth then release the clutch and you have rev matched. Repeat with the other gears. I use rev matching to slow down or if I want to pass someone going slow in the far left lane.

Did you get the ti yet? If you have some friends that drive manuals I would ask them to teach you.

WTB: HELLROT RED CLUB SPORT

95 ti sold but staying in the family.
ChItalian1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:37 AM   #17
pdxmotorhead

I don't remember what I first drove with a clutch, it was a 42 John Deer Tractor if I recall. I was like 6. You could jump off it go do stuff and come back before it moved in first gear.... Really low geared, you could also start in any gear it did not care, it had like a 1200 lb flywheel.

Good times...
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:51 AM   #18
dhong089

Vehicles
Default thanks!

WOW! I didn’t imagine all this input! First and foremost, thank you guys SO VERY MUCH. It definitely helped me out.

You guys could obviously tell, I never drove a stick shift before EVER in my life, and I’m going to go pick up my 318ti tomorrow afternoon. You guys could imagine… someone who never drove stick having to drive a manual car home… haha… oh boy..

Anyways, the reason I had all these questions was that I was trying to simulate driving stick shift in my mind. Before, I had absolutely NO idea how manual cars worked AT ALL. I didn’t even KNOW they had a 3rd pedal! (that’s how horribly lost I was). But I just kept imagining it and seeing how it worked.

Anyways, after watching videos, and reading articles, and especially reading this topic, I def. got the idea now. (before, I thought pressing the clutch pedal ENGAGES the clutch, not the other way around).

So I NEVER drove a stick-shift in my life, yet tomorrow, I’m going to go pick-up my long waited 318ti manual. I have to drive it home myself xP. Hopefully that works out… but honestly, it doesn’t seem too difficult. I’m sure I can slowly pace myself back home : )

Thank you guys all so much! And Ill def. post pics soon!
dhong089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:29 AM   #19
hotmilk400

wear in pa do u live? before you get on the road, you need to practice first. ask the seller to teach you real quick, or at-least drop you off in a parking lot to practice.

its hard to get the hang of it right away, learning where the clutch release and engages is the hardest part, and how to match the gas to the clutch to pull out. you do not want to be in a situation where you have to pull out and stall in the middle of the road, and get hit by a car or something.

see if the guy will teach u real quick. most people will be more than happy to.

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #20
ChItalian1027

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhong089 View Post
WOW! I didn’t imagine all this input! First and foremost, thank you guys SO VERY MUCH. It definitely helped me out.

You guys could obviously tell, I never drove a stick shift before EVER in my life, and I’m going to go pick up my 318ti tomorrow afternoon. You guys could imagine… someone who never drove stick having to drive a manual car home… haha… oh boy..

Anyways, the reason I had all these questions was that I was trying to simulate driving stick shift in my mind. Before, I had absolutely NO idea how manual cars worked AT ALL. I didn’t even KNOW they had a 3rd pedal! (that’s how horribly lost I was). But I just kept imagining it and seeing how it worked.

Anyways, after watching videos, and reading articles, and especially reading this topic, I def. got the idea now. (before, I thought pressing the clutch pedal ENGAGES the clutch, not the other way around).

So I NEVER drove a stick-shift in my life, yet tomorrow, I’m going to go pick-up my long waited 318ti manual. I have to drive it home myself xP. Hopefully that works out… but honestly, it doesn’t seem too difficult. I’m sure I can slowly pace myself back home : )

Thank you guys all so much! And Ill def. post pics soon!
If I lived in PA I would definitely give you a hand. I also agree with what hotmilk said and ask the seller to teach you how to drive it. Its going to be pretty nerve recking once you get on the road by yourself but you'll get the hang of it. Is the seller new you so you don't have to drive on the highway or are they pretty far? Good luck and post pics when you get back.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #21
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Everyone has good advise but make sure you spend some time in a parking lot learning how to start off in first gear from a dead stop. That is about the hardest thing you will need to learn. You need to learn how to feather the gas or RPM's up and release the clutch and not stall the car. It's hard to explain over the internet. I hope there are not hills at the stop lights on your drive home

About 15 minutes in a parking lot and you should be ok for the road. Don't hit the road until you feel good and ready to drive your car home.

Good luck and be careful, John S
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:44 AM   #22
dhong089

Vehicles

Yoo guys !

Now before I say anything…WHEW… today was TOUGH. God, I never knew balancing the clutch and pedal could be SO hard. Honestly, I stalled the car more than 30 times today…. But overall, I slowly…sloooooowly made it home.. (with a lot of pissed off people behind me :P )

Also, thank you guys so much for the kind words guys! The person who I bought the TI from was extremely helpful and patient. He sat with me for about 2 hours, slowly teaching me the process of driving shift. (haha johnboy, 15 minutes was no way near sufficient for me xD I guess that’s just how much I suck…)

Anyawys, the car was in good shape. It’s sitting out in the parking lot right now, looking oh so beautiful. I love the dam thing, but it’s becoming my own enemy :/ learning to drive stick just seems way too hard. But like all other things, practice makes perfect (I hope..)

I really want to take pictures, but its really dark out at the moment. So tomorrow, pictures will definitely be up!

Now I have some questions. When I shift from first gear to second gear, and when I let go of the clutch pedal, I kinda of JERK a little and then start going. Does that mean Im letting go of the clutch too fast? And is it bad for my clutch?

Well for now, I guess that’s the only thing that’s been bothering me… goodness gracious, I never IMAGINED it to be THIS difficult. My left foot just couldn’t balance well with the clutch pedal.. it was like hell to be honest… Well any further tips would be appreciated xD

Today was an extremely hard day, and totally sucked all the energy out of me. I can honestly say I’m POOPED!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:48 AM   #23
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhong089 View Post
Yoo guys !

Now before I say anything…WHEW… today was TOUGH. God, I never knew balancing the clutch and pedal could be SO hard. Honestly, I stalled the car more than 30 times today…. But overall, I slowly…sloooooowly made it home.. (with a lot of pissed off people behind me :P )
Only 30 times?
I gotta hand it to you, it takes balls to jump right in there.
It takes a little while getting the feel until it becomes 2nd nature.
Don't give up!
It pains me when I rent a car and am forced to drive an automatic.
I feel so disconnected with the car.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:16 AM   #24
hotmilk400

the jerking from 1st to 2nd gear is a possible 2 things.

more likely, you are letting go of the clutch to soon within normal RPM ranges. try letting it go a hair bit slower and see if it helps, it wont hurt your clutch unless u take forever to do it.

it also could be that you are shifting to soon, or to late. low rpms (like below 1.5k at slow speeds) sometimes causes your car to buck alittle. also, at high RPMS (like above 4 or 5K) the huge change from a high RPM to a Lower RPM rapidly slows your car down, and altho your car will not buck, it will bounce forward and backwards once.

he is right, that takes balls to buy a car and drive it home, not knowing how to drive it. told you the seller would be more then happy to teach you to drive it. i could never sell a car if i was scared the buyer would kill himself on the way home.. haha.

trust me, we all were in your shoes. it feels like you will never get use to driving and shifting and thinking all the time.. give it some time. in no time at all, you will not even think about shifting and pulling out, it will just happen naturally. (u might not think so now, but it does, its amazing experience)
that is why people by expensive, $100k - $1mill cars, and still get the manual version, even tho the automatic version is proven faster. people just love to shift.. u connect to your car..

also... be careful when you switch back to a automatic for a day, say, you barrow your friends car. you WILL BE TEMPTED TO STEP ON THE BRAKES, and SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION. you have to keep your left foot on the foot rest, and your hand OFF the shifter...... happened to me so many times, i never actually did it, but my foot was on the brake and gas one time while i was trying to pull out.. haha. could not figure out why it would not move .. hahah

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:29 AM   #25
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
I gotta hand it to you, it takes balls to jump right in there.
When I bought my previous car (1989 Civic Si, purchased new for $10, 120), I hadn't even driven it. I had a friend who was a "car guy" that I trusted and he test drove it. Then he taught me to drive it and wouldn't give me his "official permission" to drive it until he thought I was good enough to be safe on the road. LOL Luckily I still had the prior car for a few months after I bought the Honda, so i wasn't stranded. heh heh

But yeah... learning to drive a manual transmission can be really frustrating at first. My only prior experience was with riding lawnmowers, but at least I understood the concept. LOL

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:10 AM   #26
ChItalian1027

Vehicles

Congrats on getting the car and learning so quick!

For your question, When your ready to lift off the clutch and have it in second press the gas pedal. As your pressing the gas pedal lift off the clutch with the same amount as you would if you were in first and you won't be bouncing.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #27
dhong089

Vehicles

Hey guys! I said I would take pictures the next day... but... I guess laziness/schoolwork got the hold of me :/ Anyways, here's some pics! Got her for $3000, with only 84,000 miles! Also the owner is a mechanic, and he replaced the clutch and put a new exhaust on it. There's hardly any rust on it either! Only thing I hate about it is the wheels probably will change it soon! On with the pics, and tell me what you guys think!

Old 09-13-2010, 09:15 PM   #28
dhong089

Vehicles

came with all the manuals/booklets/etc. !!!

Ohh la la

and also came with all the tools and what not!!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:17 PM   #29
dhong089

Vehicles

bottom shot!

exhaust :O

a better look at it. The guy said it was a new exhaust. Any ideas what brand/make/model it is??

Don't really remember taking this pic. . . oh well!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:20 PM   #30
dhong089

Vehicles

and the goood stuff!

yummy

pretty clean, i'd say!

D