318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 992,868 Views
  Share/Bookmark

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
dhong089

Vehicles
Default HUGE amount of questions about driving manual

Hey guys! Now, before I go on, I just want to let you guys know that I have read all the articles out there about driving manual...watched all the instructional videos on how to drive shift...

I understand the concept of it, yet there are so many gaps I don't understand. So, I'll just list all my questions. I hoep you guys can help me out

Let’s say you’re driving at smoothly on 5th gear, hmm around 50ish MPH. What happens if you let go of the gas-pedal as well as the clutch pedal?

Let’s say you’re driving smoothly on 4th gear and you want to come to a stop at a red-light ahead. Do you simply press the clutch in, shift to neutral, and push the brake (with clutch dis-engaged)? I don’t exactly get the concept of “stopping” in stick-shift.

What happens if you try to stop the car ONLY using brakes?

Let’s say the car is off. Can you simply just shift the gears around without harming the car? What happens if you shift the gears without the clutch-pedal pressed in? (while car is still off)

Let’s say you’re going at a decently fast speed, around 5th gear. What happens if you press in the clutch-pedal and shift to neutral? Would that over-rev the car?

Let’s say you’re driving around 5th gear at a pretty decent speed. What would happen if you press in the clutch-pedal and suddenly shift to 3rd gear?

Let’s say you go into your car, press the clutch-pedal, and turn your car ON. The parking brake is still engaged. Is it OKAY to let go of the clutch pedal? (because if the car is on, and you suddenly let go of the clutch, won’t that stall the car?)

Lets say you started the car and you’re ready to go. You press the clutch IN, and the car is in 1st gear. What happens if you simply let go of the clutch SLOWLY, without even touching the gas pedal?

I understand “riding-the-clutch” means you’re wearing out the clutch, but I still just don’t understand the concept of it is. I want to understand what this is so I can avoid it.

With all these questions asked, hopefully you’ll still answer this one haha. I read all the articles and watched many videos, but I still don’t get the process of stopping. Let’s say you’re cruising at 50mph on 5th gear. Now, I want to stop. What EXACTLY do I do?? People talk about stopping using the transmission or something, idk... someone please direct me in the right direction

Last edited by dhong089; 09-05-2010 at 07:01 AM.
dhong089 is offline   Reply With Quote