318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 95,369 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 58,256 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 55,739 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 130,531 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-14-2006, 11:10 PM   #1
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Default Well this is how i got home today.

I'm not really sure what the problem is but i hit a samll puddle in the pouring rain yesterday and my battry light came on. It was on today when i left boston to drive home. When i was on the highway all my idiot lights were flickering. My transmission light came on and stayed on the whole drive. When i got into RI and pulled off the highway i noticed my car was stuck in 4th gear. So i put my blinker on which didn't work and pulled over popped the hood and checked her out. I decided to shut it off and turn it back on hopeing the trans light was off. But car wouldn't turn over,all the lights came up but nothing. I called AAA for a tow and after 30 min cranked it and it turned over once but didn't start. I'm hoping it's the bateery but am not sure. Waited 2hrs for a tow which sucked
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	Car Tow.jpg Views:	428 Size:	45.8 KB ID:	1766  
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:26 PM   #2
AlaskaBlue

Ahhh your not supposed to tow like that! Good luck getting the car fixed.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:56 AM   #3
cali-ti
aka Stabby

bad battery or ground connection? shouldn't cars be towed with the drive wheels up?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:58 AM   #4
KetteringTi

Flatbed that f*cker!!!!
KetteringTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:59 AM   #5
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
bad battery or ground connection? shouldn't cars be towed with the drive wheels up?
Doesn't towing with the rear-end up but un-needed stress on the steering and ignition lock?

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:22 AM   #6
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

According to page 94 of the owners manual, the car was towed properly: "Use wheel lifts or tranport the vehicle on a flatbed truck."

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:44 AM   #7
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

I'm hoping it's something simple. I told the guy it's rear wheel drive and he insisted it was ok. Is there a fuse for the charging system? I hope **** just got wet and it needs to dry up.

The lights that came on were the abd/traction control/transmission light & airbag light. They all were flickering and then the trans light just stayed on and was stuck in 4th gear. Just as these lights came on a guy in an suv 3 cars in front of me lost control went up onto the island and took out a highway sign.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

Old 05-15-2006, 01:58 AM   #8
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler
I'm hoping it's something simple. I told the guy it's rear wheel drive and he insisted it was ok. Is there a fuse for the charging system? I hope **** just got wet and it needs to dry up.

The lights that came on were the abd/traction control/transmission light & airbag light. They all were flickering and then the trans light just stayed on and was stuck in 4th gear. Just as these lights came on a guy in an suv 3 cars in front of me lost control went up onto the island and took out a highway sign.
What the hell? It must have been raining really hard! It sounds like your ECU might have gotten wet. Good luck and keep us posted.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:32 AM   #9
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

There was a state of emergency in Massachusetts and New Hampshire today. I was coming from boston and i haven't seen it rain like this in years. It's been raining for about a week and in boston alone about 14 inches of rain,most rain there since october of 96. It's suppsed to stop raining wednesday or thursday.

My friends workshop was flooding this morning in waltham,i took a couple pics with my cell,the street is under the bridge about 5ft from that red car in the pic. The water was about 1ft deep maybee a little more. We had to put sand bags along the whole work shop doors and stuff,sucky morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	Flood 1.jpg Views:	339 Size:	46.7 KB ID:	1767   Click image for larger version Name:	flood 2.jpg Views:	331 Size:	43.5 KB ID:	1768   Click image for larger version Name:	flood 3.jpg Views:	313 Size:	38.2 KB ID:	1769  

Old 05-15-2006, 03:28 AM   #10
jetblackbimmer

that is shyte. I have no idea what the problem could be but I hope it gets better. The difference between a lifted tow and a flatbed is about $150-200 here with higher mileage rates.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:44 AM   #11
Juni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler
There was a state of emergency in Massachusetts and New Hampshire today. I was coming from boston and i haven't seen it rain like this in years. It's been raining for about a week and in boston alone about 14 inches of rain,most rain there since october of 96. It's suppsed to stop raining wednesday or thursday.

My friends workshop was flooding this morning in waltham,i took a couple pics with my cell,the street is under the bridge about 5ft from that red car in the pic. The water was about 1ft deep maybee a little more. We had to put sand bags along the whole work shop doors and stuff,sucky morning.
Hey, I know where that work shop is! It has the all torn up MR2 out in front. But yea, its been raining like crazy over here, my basement is flooded.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:03 AM   #12
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i'm thinking with a LSD, i wouldn't want the rear wheels on the ground. not sure what all the good/bad points are of non-drive vs drive wheels being the ones on the ground. anyone?

tyler, hope everything comes out ok when it dries out!
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:18 AM   #13
KetteringTi

That's what AAA Plus is for.
KetteringTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:04 AM   #14
HuGo

my dad has a tow truck. When we have towed our car, the rear wheels are on the ground. The tow truck hooks up both front tires. Kinda hard to explain, this T looking thing slides our from tow truck, then when those are hit with the tires, there are these other like hooks that grabs from the back of the tire and sits in. Then my dad has 2 belts to tie down the tires incase the hooks were to fall off. Not hooks like fishing hooks, hooks that hold the back tires.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:16 AM   #15
jmir14

Agh, Not good..I also live in MA, last night coming home LEE,MA like 4 hours from where I live, I was in Providence,RI and hit the biggest pot hole and poped my back tire. What a bad time at 3 in the morning in the pouring rain.
Anyways, hope everything turns out good for you.

+1 for the massive amount of rain breaking things!

Mods: DASC(install complete 4/18/06)*Bosal/Brospeed Catback Exhaust
jmir14 is offline   Reply With Quote