318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 348,993 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-18-2012, 03:57 AM   #1
Reguile

Default "Khoalty" Smoked side markers pics..

Got them installed,

And I can't stand the gaps in the front. I tried bending the metal clip downwards so it'll be more snug against the fender but it didn't work.
The rubber seal/gasket the lights came with were crap too, I had to reuse my stock amber orange ones. They felt flimsy and one side had a cut into it.
I tried taking the metal retainers out of the old ones, but couldn't without breaking the marker itself, guess it requires a special tool to push in a metal tab.
I also ordered LED bulbs for the side markers, they ended up being different colors, one was more red than the other side, so I had to reuse more stock parts cause that was bugging me.

Sent them an email, they responded pretty quick, afterwords.. they kinda just stopped when I mentioned the fitment and supplied pictures.
Overall, I'm OK with the part, I'll figure out how to make them fit another time, might put something behind the fender to make the tab mount the part closer. I believe it was around 35$ for the pair.
If you buy your side markers from Khoalty, expect the same fitment/service..
Reguile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:31 AM   #2
tiFreak

Vehicles

I had the same problem with a set of E46 Depo sidemarkers from DDM, except mine wouldn't even stay in at all. I got a refund and bought a set of Apexcone one's and they didn't fit perfect either, very minor gap in the same place. aftermarket companies can't seem to get that clip right
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:45 AM   #3
Reguile

I got the clip out of the OEM part, maybe I should send it to them with a note saying get it right.. There's really no good excuse besides they're just being sloppy. Very minor, easy to make part which could take maybe a few minutes to fix on their end.. bleh oh well. Guess they left that part up to us.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:20 AM   #4
hotmilk400

make sure you get that tight against. i parted out a few cars, and the ones with aftermarket side lights all had rusted fenders. what happens is water gets in from that gap, and will rust out the inside of the fender. it rust out the bottom first, but over a few years, the rust spreads up the side and will get very bad.

sucks, but make sure it is tight. just wanted to let everyone know this that reads it.

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
M-technik-3

Vehicles

Difference in the quality control and dollar amount spent. OEM costs a few bucks more but you know it's going to be right vs Cheaply made parts made in countries were trademark infringement doesn't matter.

If some of our UK or EU folks wanted to make a few bucks they could sell used side markers and blinker assemblies all day and make a few bucks.

When I used to live in Germany, I hit the local yard every day for E30/E28 and VW/Audi stuff. The parts were very easy to pimp on the normal forums. I do miss the extra cash and parts I accumulated.

Last edited by M-technik-3; 01-18-2012 at 02:43 PM.
M-technik-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
eurohb

Vehicles

should have gone ddm... sorry they look like they smoked the OEM ones from that one angle where its a close up.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
Reguile

I didn't see them having side markers. Ah well, might as well try them, theirs is only 15$ anyways and I like their company. Too bad they only have pictures of the pre97 models. Was also thinkin of getting their HID lights later on down the path.
The Khoalty ones are actually nice looking, just the fitment is crap.
Fact these are half the price aren't too reassuring but I might as well since they're cheap. I'll let you guys know if these are worth anything.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
eurohb

Vehicles

Heres a link
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/E36-Sidemarker-Lights
Old 01-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
Reguile

Those side markers from DDM took forever to get here.. they did and.. they're the wrong year model -.- 92-96.. I told them 97-99. I remember clearly cause they had a typo on the confirmation page, saying it was 97-97 or 98 year model.. Well, we'll see how good their customer service will be..
Old 02-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #10
Reguile

OK so DDM tuning told me I have to pay them 20$ for shipping/handling fees on their end for THEIR mistake.
THEN. They also told me to include my credit card info, the #, Exp. Date, AND the security code in the shipment back to them.
Maybe I should file a dispute through paypal.. not that it ever did any good.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:05 AM   #11
M-technik-3

Vehicles

Call them and speak to some one higher in the food chain.
M-technik-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #12
Bobtail_Bimmer

Vehicles

File a dispute. Everytime I have had to no matter what it was for I won and got my money back. It might not work for everyone but its worth a shot. They just want to charge you the $20 and ask you add all the BS info in hopes you will cave and not do anything.
Bobtail_Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:23 AM   #13
Reguile

Its true, they even said I had to make an account if I wanted to email them back cause I can't directly reply to that email. I really shouldn't even have to pay anything if they made the mistake.. Always thought DDM was a little bit better than this.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:27 AM   #14
Reguile

So finally, after waiting, Paypal seemed to have made them ship me the 97-99 model side markers. On the invoice it says 0.00$ charged.
They never said what I should do w/ these old ones, or if they're sending a pick up for it though..
Person who emailed me back through paypal from DDM was the same one from before saying I should pay 20$ and now they're saying it was a misunderstanding?
These guys are kinda shady. Kinda reminds me of a bully in elementary who will pretend to be nice when the teacher is around on tv..