318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Anything other than automotive related.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 351,317 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-05-2007, 03:02 AM   #1
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Default Advice for renting a BMW in Germany?

Howdy!

I just purchased plane tickets for a ticket to Europe! My gf and I will be spending a couple days in Amsterdam and then taking a train to Frankfurt. I'm planning on renting a car in Frankfurt and then driving ~200km to Kassel, where we are staying. Kassel is in Hessen and is Northeast of Frankfurt.

I'd like to rent a 1 series and it doesn't look like that'll be a problem. Sixt rents 1ers from their website. And the price isn't that bad ($340 for 5 days).

I'm looking advice from anyone that has driven in Germany or rented a car in Germany. Any lessons learned?

Has anyone driven on the Nuerburgring?

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:33 AM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

I lived in Sicily for 5 years and used to travel to Ramstein to transport prisoners and such. Strange job, don't ask. Anyway, the highway system is pretty wide open, but if you're not familiar with the areas I recommend staying in the right lane to avoid missing exits and such. If you go on the Autobahn, drive that sucker like you've stold it!!! Rule of thumb is that you drive your car to it's maximum capabilities. If you're in the left lane, you better be going over 160kph or people will get very upset and flash you with thier brights. Also when traveling in the left lane at speeds faster than the flow of traffic, leave your left turn signal on and people ahead will move out of your way. In Sicily I had 2 Bimmers, an Alfa Romeo and a Maseratti. My average cruising speed was around 220-240kph (150mph)!!! But most people cruised around 120kph in Sicily. I never took my own cars to Germany as I usually flew in and arrangements were made for me by my department. Sounds like a lot of fun, wear your seatbelts and have a great time!!!
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:57 AM   #3
Panzer_M

try for a 1ser, then come back with a review for us.
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:58 AM   #4
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer_M View Post
try for a 1ser, then come back with a review for us.
That's the plan!

'99 Dinan M3
Old 03-05-2007, 04:07 AM   #5
L84THSKY

I drove my 1st Scirocco, my Peugot 305 and my 1984 Honda Magna motorcycle all over Germany. Your gonna love it, but watch out for the speed traps. Not all parts of the Autobahn are limitless. Why are you going to Kassel, family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
That's the plan!

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:21 AM   #6
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY View Post
Why are you going to Kassel, family?
Yep, well actually to visit my fiance's family. Her mom is from Germany, so she has lots of family there. She spent every summer in Kassel from the time she was born until she was 16, and then every other year after that. Now I get to go every other year too! I'm really looking forward to it.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 03-05-2007, 04:48 AM   #7
crewdog153

Watch out for "broke down" cars on the side of roads, some of them have cameras to take a picture of you and your license plate. Cameras at stop lights, if its yellow, stop. And cameras in construction zones. All youll see is a bright red flash and they got you, wont even see the camera.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:04 AM   #8
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Yeah, watch out for camera's, but I'd say since it's a rental and you'll more than likely be outta town before they could trace it as a rental and nab you, don't worry about it. Watch out for the actual cops though. They do setup speedtraps and as mentioned before, not all parts of the Autobahn are unrestricted. Not to mention you need to adjust your driving habits as things can seriously get out of hand. The road conditions are constantly changing and people drive like idiots worldwide, not just in the US. Try to focus your attention farther ahead when driving at high speeds. And anticipate a larger distance for stopping. People tailgate over there like nothing else! You don't wan't to lock your brakes up at triple digits! Pay extra close attention to what the other drivers are doing. I remember seeing car parts on the roadways. The hard part is when you get home. It seems like everyone is driving too slow.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:43 AM   #9
PettitWC

i'm jealous

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
PettitWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #10
fourbysix

Amsterdam is crazy, go to the "Rasta Club", its on the outside canal off the main redlight drag,
also avoid:
-Grasshoper Club
-Banana Bar
-The McDonalds right by "Centraal Station"

Go see, if you have the time:
-Hieniken Factory
-All the places to stop etc on Tram #9 (Diemen Step, is the name of the tram line)
-A tiny little fallafel place right in Centraal Square called "Maoz" possibly the best food i've ever had

email me if you want to know some fantasicly cheap, and very clean/tidy places to stay
conner@gmail.com

edit: sorry dusten, forgot my main point
yes, i've driven the nurburg, its amazing, it costs 11 euros for 1 lap, and be prepared to wait all day in line..they do staggard starts of about 6-10 minutes, and have a seperate motorcycle line. companies have the ability to rent time slots during the day, and the entire track is shut down for like 3 hours to the public..so you just have to way, and eat/sit/sleep etc.. We did it in 19:55 in our 1.8l turbo diesel minivan!! aha
fourbysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:22 AM   #11
fourbysix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
I lived in Sicily for 5 years and used to travel to Ramstein to transport prisoners and such. Strange job, don't ask. Anyway, the highway system is pretty wide open, but if you're not familiar with the areas I recommend staying in the right lane to avoid missing exits and such. If you go on the Autobahn, drive that sucker like you've stold it!!! Rule of thumb is that you drive your car to it's maximum capabilities. If you're in the left lane, you better be going over 160kph or people will get very upset and flash you with thier brights. Also when traveling in the left lane at speeds faster than the flow of traffic, leave your left turn signal on and people ahead will move out of your way. In Sicily I had 2 Bimmers, an Alfa Romeo and a Maseratti. My average cruising speed was around 220-240kph (150mph)!!! But most people cruised around 120kph in Sicily. I never took my own cars to Germany as I usually flew in and arrangements were made for me by my department. Sounds like a lot of fun, wear your seatbelts and have a great time!!!
the point in bold is VERY, VERY true, remember that, in applies in Germany, Italy, Switzerland, and The Netherlands, as well.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #12
bullmand

Two things: there's a different level of awareness required on the Autobahn than you need here. I always felt like things were moving much faster, but were fairly predictable whereas here traffic always seemed unpredictable. They take the left lane, right lane thing seriously. Keep an eye on your rear view mirror and don't get in anybody's way. There's always a faster guy out there. On surface streets, no right on red! There are exceptions but they're rare and the sign is hard to find sometimes. It's a little black square with a green arrow on it. You might want to read some of this. Especially for the signs and the right-of-way info. That's the hardest thing to grasp. Have fun on your trip.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:44 PM   #13
96cali

Just got back from Frankfurt and my Aussie friend living nearby said the same thing about the autobahn- left lane=hyper awareness needed. He also stated it's not uncommon around Munich and Stuttgart to have BMW, Porsche and Mercedes test cars on the road with professional test drivers. If anyone passes you and taps their head they think you're doing something stupid. But it's illegal to even provoke that mildly.

If you have a free night go to Sachsenhausen district and get a pork knuckle at Struwwelpeter (I have the card right infront of me LOL). Long family style benches, the place still looks like 1890 and has sketches from 1944 inside by a local artist. Friendly.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #14
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbysix View Post
Amsterdam is crazy, go to the "Rasta Club", its on the outside canal off the main redlight drag,
also avoid:
-Grasshoper Club
-Banana Bar
-The McDonalds right by "Centraal Station"

Go see, if you have the time:
-Hieniken Factory
-All the places to stop etc on Tram #9 (Diemen Step, is the name of the tram line)
-A tiny little fallafel place right in Centraal Square called "Maoz" possibly the best food i've ever had

email me if you want to know some fantasicly cheap, and very clean/tidy places to stay
conner@gmail.com

edit: sorry dusten, forgot my main point
yes, i've driven the nurburg, its amazing, it costs 11 euros for 1 lap, and be prepared to wait all day in line..they do staggard starts of about 6-10 minutes, and have a seperate motorcycle line. companies have the ability to rent time slots during the day, and the entire track is shut down for like 3 hours to the public..so you just have to way, and eat/sit/sleep etc.. We did it in 19:55 in our 1.8l turbo diesel minivan!! aha
I tried emailing you, but it got kicked back saying undeliverable. PM me with your hotel recommendations, I'm very interested.

Thanks!!!

'99 Dinan M3
Old 03-05-2007, 10:31 PM   #15
fourbysix

i'm sorry man, my email is connern@gmail.com i made a typo man sorry!