318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 343,649 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-06-2006, 10:07 PM   #1
NewEnglandBoy

Question Beginning Mods for my Ti

I was wondering what the first upgrades to my '95 Ti should be? I was leaning towards a lightweight flywheel and a short shifter to start off. I would like to either give my Ti a little more get up and go or a better stance with sway bars and a lowering kit. Any replies and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
NewEnglandBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:04 PM   #2
L84THSKY

How much money you got?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandBoy View Post
I was wondering what the first upgrades to my '95 Ti should be? I was leaning towards a lightweight flywheel and a short shifter to start off. I would like to either give my Ti a little more get up and go or a better stance with sway bars and a lowering kit. Any replies and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:07 PM   #3
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Since you have an m42 why not go for a chip,you'll get about 11hp gain from it. Once you do that you could do an exhaust and maybee a CAI. But it all depends on what you want to spend.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:22 PM   #4
NewEnglandBoy

Around $500. I'm living off my summer job money until the spring.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:57 PM   #5
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

The chip will give you the most gain out of anything else you could do right now,i'd look into that.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:24 AM   #6
AlaskaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandBoy View Post
Around $500. I'm living off my summer job money until the spring.
No way can you get a lightweight flywheel and clutch installed for 500 dollars. The chip would be good. Dinan is/was doing a 50 percent off on their chips. Maybe you should just save up. Then you could get some suspension work done and some sticky tires.

If you don't want to wait maybe look for a used big bore throttle body. Basically all of the cheap mods aren't going to give you much more power.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:42 PM   #7
ChItalian1027

Vehicles

i'm lookin into a chip i know dinan does but does it come in stages? like stage one two three?

WTB: HELLROT RED CLUB SPORT

95 ti sold but staying in the family.
ChItalian1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:45 PM   #8
ChItalian1027

Vehicles

any suggestions on goin with a m-tech body kit?

WTB: HELLROT RED CLUB SPORT

95 ti sold but staying in the family.
ChItalian1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 04:34 AM   #9
CirrusSR22

If your car is getting up there in miles >90,000, I'd include bushings in your plans. The three things (fairly cheap too) that made a noticeable difference for me were:

• BMW X-Brace. Made the whole car feel more rigid, hard turn-ins were much improved. The harder you push the car, the more you'll feel it. $100 - $130

• 96+ M3 Control Arm Bushing. Steering felt much more firm and direct. $59

• Ireland Engineering Poly Subframe Mounts. Rear end feels more planted in the turns. Downside: road and driveline noise is increased. No polyurethane squeaks either since it's a non-moving part. Also, installation is quite involved and pressing/pulling out the old OEM bushings is tough. Use a propane torch and it'll be MUCH easier. I've heard you can even just melt them out, which if what I'd do if I needed to do it again. $100

------------------
EDIT:

• I'll add one more since you're looking for a short shifter. Buy a Z3 or M3 or some other stock BMW shift lever. They can be bought at the dealer or online for $50-$60. You might also want to look into the www.PelicanParts.com "Shift Bushing Super Kits". The kit replaces all the rubber and plastic shift linkages parts that wear over time making the shifter movement sloppy. $90

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata..._pg1.htm#item2
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:16 AM   #10
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

How about some driving skills classes?

I'm not implying that you're a bad driver or anything like that. It seems to me that there's no point in raising the performance limits of the car until you can drive it safely at the existing limits.

Plus, if you "upgrade the driver" you not only upgrade your current car, but automatically upgrade every car thereafter.

Hmmm... I think I just talked myself into taking some classes once I replace the exhaust system. :-)

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:45 AM   #11
tonyyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
If your car is getting up there in miles >90,000, I'd include bushings in your plans. The three things (fairly cheap too) that made a noticeable difference for me were:

• BMW X-Brace. Made the whole car feel more rigid, hard turn-ins were much improved. $100 - $130

• Ireland Engineering Poly Subframe Mounts. Rear end feels more planted in the turns. Downside: road and driveline noise is increased. No polyurethane squeaks either since it's a non-moving part. $100
this sounds like a good set-up for a cheap price. id go for this.

oh and btw, how much do the chips run for ?
tonyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #12
CirrusSR22

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
How about some driving skills classes?

I'm not implying that you're a bad driver or anything like that. It seems to me that there's no point in raising the performance limits of the car until you can drive it safely at the existing limits.

Plus, if you "upgrade the driver" you not only upgrade your current car, but automatically upgrade every car thereafter.
That's great idea too. My local BMWCCA has classes a few times a summer, but I've never been able to make it.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:47 AM   #13
NewEnglandBoy

I really wanted to upgrade the suspension components first, but it seemed as though the parts were a bit on the pricey side. So I just thought that some performance goodies would be a little more affordable. That setup sounds like a good deal. I'll have to look into getting those parts. Thanks you guys for all your help.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:33 PM   #14
mphmotorwerks

What does the Z3 or M3 shifters do for our cars????

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post

• BMW X-Brace. Made the whole car feel more rigid, hard turn-ins were much improved. The harder you push the car, the more you'll feel it. $100 - $130

• Ireland Engineering Poly Subframe Mounts. Rear end feels more planted in the turns. Downside: road and driveline noise is increased. No polyurethane squeaks either since it's a non-moving part. Also, installation is quite involved and pressing/pulling out the old OEM bushings is tough. Use a propane torch and it'll be MUCH easier. I've heard you can even just melt them out, which if what I'd do if I needed to do it again. $100

------------------
EDIT:

• I'll add one more since you're looking for a short shifter. Buy a Z3 or M3 or some other stock BMW shift lever. They can be bought at the dealer or online for $50-$60. You might also want to look into the www.PelicanParts.com "Shift Bushing Super Kits". The kit replaces all the rubber and plastic shift linkages parts that wear over time making the shifter movement sloppy. $90

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata..._pg1.htm#item2
1998 M-tech 325ti; Hellrot: M50 Swap, Cold-Air Intake, Custom Magna-Flow Exhaust, Depo Housings w/55 Watt HID, Yellow Fogs,Tinted Windows (35%), M3 Front Spoiler Lip, Black Grills, X-Brace, 17" Drag DR-19 wrapped with Hankook VR-12s, Bilstein HD with M-Tec Springs
mphmotorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:00 AM   #15
CirrusSR22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphmotorwerks View Post
What does the Z3 or M3 shifters do for our cars????
It's basically a factory short shifter.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/dri...ift_lever.html