318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 105,349 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 68,388 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 65,626 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-02-2005, 10:15 PM   #1
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Post 6 cylinder swap Vs. supercharger

Like the title says, lets get everything out on the table. Pros and Cons of doing the 6 cylinder swap vs. installing a supercharger. If you have one or the other, speak up and tell us what you like and don't like. Please include other necessary upgrades and maintenance costs if applicable.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:26 PM   #2
stormos

i'd imagine cost is a big issue. i personally want a e36 M50 next aswell as a manual transmission conversion. but first i am gonna abuse it for work motorway miles.... oh yeah, i also need to save a few k for the conversion.....
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:01 AM   #3
L84THSKY

This whole engine swap thing gets very played out.

Not that it's a bad idea, but everyone likes to ask about it just to make their dick feel larger.

I agree on doing the supercharging route. If you didn't want a 4 cylinder, then why did you get a 318ti. With a supercharger, you get the best of both worlds, without the complexity of a full engine swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT
Like the title says, lets get everything out on the table. Pros and Cons of doing the 6 cylinder swap vs. installing a supercharger. If you have one or the other, speak up and tell us what you like and don't like. Please include other necessary upgrades and maintenance costs if applicable.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:58 AM   #4
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY
If you didn't want a 4 cylinder, then why did you get a 318ti.
I can name that tune in ONE note: $

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:44 AM   #5
Silver00spike

Quote:
according to your signature, you allready are supercharged
Silver00spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:50 AM   #6
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver00spike
according to your signature, you allready are supercharged
OMG...Your right, I can't believe I forgot my car was supercharged. Thanks for the reminder!

Please excuse the sarcasm, it's early. I started this thread to help some confused members, I won't say any names, who think swapping a 6 cylinder motor is a better idea than a supercharger. The engine swap is a lot more expensive than some people think and I was hoping to get some prices posted. Anyone??

'99 Dinan M3
Old 08-03-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
Dredder

Here’s the price comparison;
M3 swap = $6120 (professionally installed by bmw certified mechanics)
DASC = $3495 + installations
M3 engine and ecu and complete swap kit= < $4000 + you install

Power comparison
DASC = 210 bhp no room for improvement on stock internals
m3 = 240bhp you guys know what an M3 is capable of
Quote:
If you didn't want a 4 cylinder, then why did you get a 318ti.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash
I can name that tune in ONE note: $
I don’t think the US version of the 318ti came with 6 cyl. I would not trade my 318ti for any E36 -E46 bmw out there, unless it’s an e46 M3. I love the way my 318ti looks. If the US market 318ti came with 6cyl I would have bought it, but unfortunately it did not. I have had my car since 1995 with 4 miles on it. It has not given me any problem at all, the most dependably car I’ve had. The reason why I opted for the swap is because the 4cyl motor lacked the punch I needed. Now that I have more power, I love my car even more than when I first saw it in the dealership.
Dredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:33 PM   #8
1996 328ti

Vehicles

I believe it cost the previous owner of my car about $8,000, parts and installation.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:42 PM   #9
Dredder

well i'm one of the fortunate one that did not overpay for a swap. This is the reason why im spreading the joy. I dont want members to get turned off by the swap becuase of price. We shoudlnt be paying that much for bmw products. Look at the force induction section for example. Come on!!!!! 6-8 grand for a kit. Thats unbelievable. When you look at other import kits for 2k-4k tops.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:00 PM   #10
Dredder

Quote:
Not that it's a bad idea, but everyone likes to ask about it just to make their dick feel larger.
there are two kind of people in the world. The **** talker and the Doers. Let me ask everyone where do you belong?
Old 08-03-2005, 02:33 PM   #11
needle332rur

I was right in the middle of this argument a few mounhs ago, i ended up going with a m50 vanos swap. I not saying you need M swaps because all M parts are not too different from standard bmw, but cost alot more!

First is the sound, my car will never sound like a honda again.

Second price, 3400 to get a DASC is not bad but it's not great. i paid 800 for a motor and will have to pay another 800 about for all the misc parts, granted i do my own work thats only roughly 1600 half of a dasc.

Third the power, my car will dyno at the wheels about 165 hp with the swap, dasc does about 175 hp at the wheels. but now i could go NA and put m3 cams a conforti chip and good flowing entake and exhaust and have 200-210 rear wheel hp (if you don't belive me look at some of the dyno charts on bimmerforums,com). and if that does not impress me i could go forced induction and SC it of turbo the m50 to reliable 300-350 hp (with drive tran mods).

Last is BMW made it this way in Europe, The 323ti was a m50 2.5 litter motor. the same weights the same horse power.

you can call me unfathful for going the six cyl route, but bottom line its what bmw is know for (there silky smoth sixes).

There is really somthing cool about having a motor with close to 200 hp that has tons of potential after that, compared to have a motor a few pounds lighter at it's peak at 200 hp.
needle332rur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:46 PM   #12
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Supercharger: Can be installed by anyone with 10 fingers and more than 6 brain cells, retain factory weight distribution and handling, still acts like a high-revving 4 cylinder, 30+ mpg, no need to remove engine, no other upgrades needed, BEATS STOCK M3s.

Engine swap: Should be installed by a professional $$$, multiple upgrades needed (suspension, brakes, radiator, etc...), front heavy, rear-end can't handle the power, costs about twice what the supercharger does for about the same amount of power, $$$$ invested in a car that doesn't hold value like other BMWs.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 08-03-2005, 03:48 PM   #13
nick_hegel

Quote:
Supercharger: Can be installed by anyone with 10 fingers and more than 6 brain cells, retain factory weight distribution and handling, still acts like a high-revving 4 cylinder, 30+ mpg, now need to remove engine, no other upgrades needed, BEATS STOCK M3s.
And that is why I want the DASC eventually!
'96 Alaska Blue ti w/ Supersprint cat-back exhaust...Dinan CAI & Chip...Eibach Pro-Kit Springs...Bilstein Sport shocks...BavAuto camber kit...Brembo d/s rotors...UUC SSK...Centerforce Dual Friction clutch...TMS 9lb flywheel...18 inch OZ Rims...Carbon-Fiber dash/gauge bezel...Momo Shift Knob...Indiglo gauges...Schroth Harness...ZKW's/ProLumen 6k HID...Predator Chromiums
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...urowerksig.jpg
nick_hegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:28 PM   #14
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Supercharger: Can be installed by anyone with 10 fingers and more than 6 brain cells, retain factory weight distribution and handling, still acts like a high-revving 4 cylinder, 30+ mpg, no need to remove engine, no other upgrades needed, BEATS STOCK M3s.

Engine swap: Should be installed by a professional $$$, multiple upgrades needed (suspension, brakes, radiator, etc...), front heavy, rear-end can't handle the power, costs about twice what the supercharger does for about the same amount of power, $$$$ invested in a car that doesn't hold value like other BMWs.

When you say beats stock m3's you must be reffering to a 2.5l engine.

Anyone who wants to put a S/C on there car with high mileage and put all that extra strain on your engine go right ahead. Anyone that wants more than 200 hp on there ti will do a swap. If you swap the engines then you can get alot more hp out of your engine with upgrades,for the m42-44 engine there isn't anything you can add onto it to get hp.. The most you'll get is 5hp, Chips are wortless for these engines. If i get a chip on a 2.8l and up we are talking about 15+ hp gain.

I personally would rather save up the extra cash and do a swap. I can get a 3.2l engine with 35k on it for 7-8k and thats with everything you'll need except for trans mission. Thats what i'm saving for,i figure i'll have it swapped by the spring of next year.
If my car had 20,xxx miles on it maybee i'd S/C it.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:57 PM   #15
L84THSKY

I hear ya!

That is why I am not afraid to say what I plan on doing to my car regardless of what most other people think of my mods. The bottom line is, what I say I'm gonna do, I end up doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredder
there are two kind of people in the world. The **** talker and the Doers. Let me ask everyone where do you belong?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote