318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 99,085 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 62,014 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,286 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-21-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles
Default Headliner repair

How would one go about repairing a sagging headliner?

Or, if it's not a DIY job, what would that sort of thing cost? I expect that the cost varies depending geographical area and the type of shop you have do the repair, but what would be a rough estimate?

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:11 PM   #2
bmwracerchick

I just got my headliner done not too long ago. I got a good deal compared to all the places I went to. Its still expensive though. I paid $175 for mine, other places I went to wanted $300+ and they said it was because it was a BMW. I was like BMW my ass its a headliner not an engine, that didnt include the sunroof because it was $50 more because you they wouldve had to take out the assembly to replace it. I wasnt in major need of that so I just did the roof. Here are the pictures, they did a great job.

I think for $175 not having to do it myself and spend the hours doing it in the hot florida sun was worth it
Old 07-21-2005, 05:11 PM   #3
Dusty

Red face Headliner repair...

Here in SA, TX where I live I have two estimates so far for my ti. One is approx $95- $99 from one upholstery shop only because he can't do the moon roofportion. Another shop quoted me around $195 including the moon roof.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:12 PM   #4
bmwracerchick

more:

Old 07-21-2005, 05:23 PM   #5
bmw318tiChic

racerchick, where did you get your headliner done? I live in Florida too, and I've only been to one place for an estimate so far, but the guy said "$375" :/ I am thinking that if I can just get a headliner somewhere I'll do it myself.
bmw318tiChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:25 PM   #6
bmw318tiChic

Oh, and here is a link for DIY: http://www.wlsheadliners.com/tutorials/bmw/
Old 07-21-2005, 05:30 PM   #7
bmwracerchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw318tiChic
racerchick, where did you get your headliner done? I live in Florida too, and I've only been to one place for an estimate so far, but the guy said "$375" :/ I am thinking that if I can just get a headliner somewhere I'll do it myself.

I live in the Tampa Bay area. My mechanic for when I owned my Lumina owns a body shop and he would send his cars to this upholstery shop if any interior damage was done. I dont know why its so expensive here. If you live anywhere in the Tampa area ill give you full detail.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:54 PM   #8
Viper3812

I got mine done for $200 and I'm gettingmy sunroof done tomorrow for $125 cause they have to take out the entire headliner to get to the panel

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...er3812/Sig.jpg
Viper3812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:54 PM   #9
bmw318tiChic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwracerchick
I live in the Tampa Bay area. My mechanic for when I owned my Lumina owns a body shop and he would send his cars to this upholstery shop if any interior damage was done. I dont know why its so expensive here. If you live anywhere in the Tampa area ill give you full detail.
Ah, thanks for the info. I live in Jacksonville, so it'd be a little bit far away.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:02 PM   #10
bmwracerchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw318tiChic
Ah, thanks for the info. I live in Jacksonville, so it'd be a little bit far away.

Your welcome...ya you would end up spending the money you wouldve saved on headliner on gas instead if you came down this way. The thing is (im assuming your a fellow girl by your name) because we are girls mechanics will always try to pull crap like oh it cost this or you need this when you really dont. Now add a BMW to the mix....they are gonna pull even more crap on us. Like when I got new tires they said I needed new brake pads...well we go over to look and half the pad was still there. Im like what are you trying to pull with me? It still has half left of it. I took to my mechanic and he said the same thing. I think I got over 15,000 miles more out of them before I changed them. But ya keep looking im sure you will find somewhere that wont over charge you.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:58 PM   #11
bmw318tiChic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwracerchick
Your welcome...ya you would end up spending the money you wouldve saved on headliner on gas instead if you came down this way. The thing is (im assuming your a fellow girl by your name) because we are girls mechanics will always try to pull crap like oh it cost this or you need this when you really dont. Now add a BMW to the mix....they are gonna pull even more crap on us. Like when I got new tires they said I needed new brake pads...well we go over to look and half the pad was still there. Im like what are you trying to pull with me? It still has half left of it. I took to my mechanic and he said the same thing. I think I got over 15,000 miles more out of them before I changed them. But ya keep looking im sure you will find somewhere that wont over charge you.
Yeah, that's true. Luckily, I have a really great mechanic and he does a lot of little stuff for free for me, like when my check engine light comes on he'll reset it and determine what the problem was

What tires did you get for your car? I need new tires and was considering going with the Yokohama ES100's, but I hear they get really noisy after about 15k miles.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:52 PM   #12
stormos

http://www.carismaautomotive.co.uk/

They'll charge you at least 1,000 but it will be the best job money can buy!!!
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:08 AM   #13
roadrash

Vehicles

bmwracerchick... yeah, they did good work... did they repair the existing liner or replace it with new materials? Regarding "working in the hot florida sun"... that's one of several reasons I wouldn't live that far south. Oh, and the next time you're out working on the car in the sun, don't forget to take some pix for Rob. ;}

bmw318tiChic... thanks for the DIY link... I'm embarrassed that I didn't think to google for something like that before I posted. Duh. heh heh It seems simple enough that I could do the replacement... I just have to find the materials.

stormos... is that 1,000 pounds or dollars? and does it include the cost of shipping the car from the US to the UK and back? ;}

Thanks all!

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
Old 07-22-2005, 06:18 AM   #14
bmwracerchick

lol no no no anything like that is left for my boyfriends eyes only. They replaced the headliner with all new materials. It went from a hard just clothe not its all spongy and soft and isnt sagging. I am very happy with the results.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:01 AM   #15
roadrash

Vehicles

Aw, that'll break Rob's heart. ;}

Back to the headliner... I guess I was wondering if it were possible to inject some adhesive into a small sagging area rather than replace the whole thing. If I had to replace the whole thing, it would be really tempting to use some shag carpet (complete with the 'dangling fuzzy ball' trim) to give the interior a "1970's party van" vibe. heh heh