318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 998,711 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
denglish318ti

Default DASC stalling problems :(, please help

Hi guys, got my supercharger installed, cheers to johnboy for shipping me his old RRFPR. It runs, and pulls really hard when in the higher rev range. Problems are at idle, when I come to a stop the revs dip to about 200rpm and then it either stalls, or jumps to 1100 rpm and then dips to 900rpm and steadies. I checked all the electrical things, and have taken it all apart and put it back together again looking for vacuum leaks. I really have no idea what it can be. Only other symptom is when I floor it and it gets to 3bar boost I hear a swoosh sound, which goes at about 5bar boost. I get about 8bar boost at max rpm. Vacuum varies between 15 and 19 inHg, and it seems to idle better when its at 15 inHg. One of the injector o rings was pinched, but I replaced that injector with a spare injector with a good o ring. I applied some sealant to the manifold gasket to get a really good seal. All to no effect

Cheers for any help
Dylan
denglish318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Kilijan

I don't know if this applies to the E36. On my E30 whenever I make a major change (or lose power) to the engine it takes a while for the computer to remember how to idle. I stall and bog a lot for the first half hour to an hour of driving around town. It is fine at high RPM. It could be something similar, but I don't know for sure.
Kilijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilijan View Post
I don't know if this applies to the E36. On my E30 whenever I make a major change (or lose power) to the engine it takes a while for the computer to remember how to idle. I stall and bog a lot for the first half hour to an hour of driving around town. It is fine at high RPM. It could be something similar, but I don't know for sure.

Exactly. It takes a little while for the DME to adapt to the new value to idle correctly. Also you need to clean the Idle Control Valve. They build up carbon on them and the new idle will be at a different position on that ICV so it needs to be cleaned. After that valve is cleaned reset the DME adaption values and take it for a long drive and it should clear up.

8bar is incorrect...maybe 8psi

At 8bar you would be putting down about 1,500 HP or more
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
denglish318ti

Cheers for your replies. Haha, 8bar might be a little too much I mean 8psi. I have cleaned the ICV, and tried a spare one I had. It was worse with one of them, not by much though. I did remove the battery to clear the DME values, and have driven it for about 2 weeks now, but it is still playing up
Old 06-08-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by denglish318ti View Post
Cheers for your replies. Haha, 8bar might be a little too much I mean 8psi. I have cleaned the ICV, and tried a spare one I had. It was worse with one of them, not by much though. I did remove the battery to clear the DME values, and have driven it for about 2 weeks now, but it is still playing up

Any codes when you run a code scan? you should only show a DISA code...
Old 06-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Also are the hoses hooked up correctly on the ICV? make sure they are not crossed. Hoses need to be hooked up just like it was mounted to throttle body.

Are you sur you didn't plug in the wrong wiring clip? There are 3 that will fit that ICV plug and 1 right there that is eashy to plug into it.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #7
denglish318ti

Unfortunately I dont have a code scanner, and I am not sure European cars are the same as I dont have a CEL light at all. Do you think there is a chance it is a sensor even so they were working ok before I put the DASC on?

Thanks for your help
Dylan
Old 06-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
denglish318ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
Also are the hoses hooked up correctly on the ICV? make sure they are not crossed. Hoses need to be hooked up just like it was mounted to throttle body.

Are you sur you didn't plug in the wrong wiring clip? There are 3 that will fit that ICV plug and 1 right there that is eashy to plug into it.
Do you mean so that they are not like this?
http://media.photobucket.com/image/d...n666/dasc1.jpg
(not my car by the way, but mine is similar).
I am pretty sure I didnt muddle them up as I labelled them up good, and when I remove the ICV valve clip the car stalls straight away.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #9
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Unfortunately I dont have a code scanner, and I am not sure European cars are the same as I dont have a CEL light at all. Do you think there is a chance it is a sensor even so they were working ok before I put the DASC on?

Thanks for your help
Dylan
I think all the sensors are good. I asked for a code scan to identify if wiring to the sensors was wrong. A code scan would show bad wiring as a bad sensor or two..
Old 06-08-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Do you mean so that they are not like this?
http://media.photobucket.com/image/d...n666/dasc1.jpg
(not my car by the way, but mine is similar).
I am pretty sure I didnt muddle them up as I labelled them up good, and when I remove the ICV valve clip the car stalls straight away.

In that picture the ICV hoses are backwards. Not sure if it makes a difference but I like the air going through the valve the correct way. That picture has the idle air going through the valve the wrong way. You need to take the valve how it would mount on the TB and then match the hoses so the air is routed the same way when the ICV is relocated.

I'm trying to think of all the other things that could mess your idle up. Will start posting ideas when I think of them...
Old 06-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #11
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:

Thanks for your help
Dylan
What year is your car? Does it have a ODB connector?
Old 06-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #12
wv318ti

After installing mine I had a slight idle problem, my problem was with the air hoses that connect into the injectors, one had cracked when fitting everything in causing the car to idle really ruff.
wv318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #13
denglish318ti

I will check the ICV routing in the morning, it is highly likely I messed this bit up. I replaced the injectors and the hoses coming off the injectors with a spare set I had. Injectors dont have to be programmed to the car do they? I replaced them because one of the o rings was perished, but maybe I should have just swapped the o rings over? My car is a 1997 and has the OBD 20 pin style connector. I tried swapping the ICV and TPS wires over, but they have bits to stop you muddling them up, BMW preemted me messing that one up!

Cheers for your suggestions
Old 06-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #14
denglish318ti

I checked out the price of a diagnositc and it was £47 (about $4, haha, no, about $80). So thats quite a lot, would be good if I can sort it for free, its annoying that it stalls, but I can cope with it at the moment. I have the feeling it might be the cam sensor, but again, its just a guess...
Old 06-23-2009, 06:33 AM   #15
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Ever figure this out?

Your dreaded stalling problem has started to happen on my car. Can't figure it out for the life of me. Did nothing to make it happen either. I have great logging capibilities and nothing has changed. I'm stumped

It runs great but stalls when coasting...If I'm sitting still it's fine, if I'm driving and push in the clutch it stalls.

Let me know??