318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Knowledge Base

Notices

Knowledge Base How to articles and things explained.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Comments, 994,560 Views
Comment Share/Bookmark

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 09:21 PM  
dave45056

Default Oil Filter Housing Leak fix DIY

I hope this helps anyone with this problem.

Attachment...
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
By slow_ti on 02-06-2011, 12:57 AM

hey guys, great write up, but im stuck, i have everything off, and have the the alternator unbolted and im stuck because on the back off the alternator, there is the rubber flap, i pulled that back and took the of the bolts, 10mm and 13mm. now the plastic piece on the back of the alternator wont budge, how would you take this off with out breaking it? i know it has two wires inside it, any tips and suggestions would be great! thanks so much
By spidertri on 02-06-2011, 01:34 AM

IIRC, the plastic piece is a tray for the wires, just pop the wires out of it. The plastic piece and rubber flap stay on the alternator.
By Mopho on 02-06-2011, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
IIRC, the plastic piece is a tray for the wires, just pop the wires out of it. The plastic piece and rubber flap stay on the alternator.
Yep. A little hard to reach, but if you have the right tools no problem.
I think I used a 1/4 drive ratchet and sockets. Be careful to not disturb the
wiring too much. Might have something crack or short out later.
I'v done 2 of them now, ain't it fun?

By slow_ti on 02-06-2011, 02:15 AM

Haha. Thanks guys. And I'm trying to be as careful as I can. This job sucks first time round lol. How would I disturb the wiring? I hate electronics, scares me. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Mopho on 02-06-2011, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_ti View Post
Haha. Thanks guys. And I'm trying to be as careful as I can. This job sucks first time round lol. How would I disturb the wiring? I hate electronics, scares me. Haha
Just try to not bend the wiring too much. On older cars, the wires get brittle, and you may not notice it but problems will arise later with arching, cracking, etc. Same is true with any kind of hose. Vaccum, air, or coolant hoses should either be replaced or treated gently.
Good luck.
I had to have a valve job/head gasket (blown) done last year ( lack the ambition, youth or patience to do it my self any more) and I had ALL the belts, hoses, etc changed that I hadn't already done beforehand.
I'd still pissed he didn't change the one water outlet under the intake manifold. It has over 150K on it now with no problems, (fingers crossed).
By slow_ti on 02-06-2011, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopho View Post
Just try to not bend the wiring too much. On older cars, the wires get brittle, and you may not notice it but problems will arise later with arching, cracking, etc. Same is true with any kind of hose. Vaccum, air, or coolant hoses should either be replaced or treated gently.
Good luck.
I had to have a valve job/head gasket (blown) done last year ( lack the ambition, youth or patience to do it my self any more) and I had ALL the belts, hoses, etc changed that I hadn't already done beforehand.
I'd still pissed he didn't change the one water outlet under the intake manifold. It has over 150K on it now with no problems, (fingers crossed).
Very nice. Thank you for all your information. I did know that about the wires, I have one broken wire or hose, it connects to I think maybe it's a oil catch can or something? I'll post a pic In a few. Maybe you'll know that it is. Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By DataTraveler on 03-08-2011, 08:36 PM

Printing out for reference when my parts get in. Thanks a ton for this write up. Very much appreciated.
By GreeleyGal on 03-19-2011, 08:35 PM

Followed the write up and the fix went great. No broken bolts and took about an hour and a half, the hardest part was getting the alternator off and then lining up the bolt holes when it came time to put it back on. The old gasket was really hard and brittle and came off in pieces. Massive oil leak is gone! Thanks for the helpful write up!
By trikzta on 03-19-2011, 09:08 PM

i did this on mine and well it was awesome just hated the taking the alternator part out mine wouldnt budge took me a good 15mins just taking it out and no lie a good 40-50mins putting it back on didnt wanna kill it but yeah for some reason i still see a leak idk if its jst the collected oil that i forgot to clean dripping or still have a leak somewhere on my engine block is not major tho tnx alot for this write up
By UberWagen on 05-11-2011, 01:44 AM

Finally got around to doing this today. When I finally got down to the housing, looks like I have a leak from my timing cover. I guess I'll see though.
By E30dewd on 10-08-2011, 04:43 AM

Just bought my first ti Last week, always been my favorite body style, i have had 4 e30s and this is the first time i got something different, so two days after i got the car it starts losing a qt of oil a day... looked up from underneath and was certain the front main seal was gone... until i chased it back up the engine and found a pool sittin around this housing. Came home from work looked some stuff up online and found this thread, you sir, saved me on this one!
By E30dewd on 10-16-2011, 06:52 AM

I found out the hard way, def buy the bush cause even if it's not leaking and you replace the gasket, it has a much higher chance of leaking after you reinstall everything... Its a common part some local BMW dealer should have one in stock, just call around. On the bright side what took me 3 hours to do on one night only took an hour the second night lol!
By bimbim on 11-23-2011, 04:23 PM

I gotta say, my leak was SEVERE, and this fixed the problem completely. I used black rtv sealer on everything including the o ring...not gobs, just a light coating on all contact areas...
Last edited by bimbim; 11-29-2011 at 04:49 PM..
By geetarspaz on 11-23-2011, 05:21 PM

count me in as having this problem, my leak was pretty severe too. i got it fixed though, no more rainbow driveway
By 97TI on 12-01-2011, 07:40 AM

Followed this write-up today replacing the gasket and bushing/valve with new orings.
I thought it was going to be harder than it was. Took me about 2 hours to complete.

Thanks to the OP for the write-up.
Comment