318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 995,287 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-10-2009, 02:33 AM   #1
zboot

Default Howto Remove 318ti Headlight switch

Unfortunately, the Bentley manual only has how to do this for the other e36s. It took me several attempts to figure this out, not to mention having to lie upside down so that my head was under the dash, but here it goes:

1. Remove driver side lower dash panel. There should be three screws holding it in place, two under the dash, one on the side of the car - requires opening the driver's door to access.

2. Remove knee bolster - its the weird hard foam looking thing behind the panel. Has three bolts that attach it (I used a 10mm socket).

3. Remove headlight switch knob by turning it counter clockwise. Once you have rotated through the "acceptable" positions, keep turning, it will then screw off.

4. From a vantage point that puts your upper body under the dash, shine a light upwards so that you see the switch assembly. Disconnect the wiring connector by applying gentle pressure on the plastic retaining clip and use a flathead screw driver to work the connector loose.

5. If you look at the switch assembly, along the cylindrical portion leading towards the knob you will see a slot with a slight tab sticking out. Use your flathead to push in the tab, then in a little. This will pop the switch out of the housing and allow you to remove it either with your screwdriver (or if you have removed your cluster, you can just reach in and pull it out.

6. Installation is the reverse of these instructions.

I hope I save someone some aggravation
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
MacUser

I recently replaced the faceplate for the headlight switch. When I bought the car, there was a piece of electrical tape covering the hole where the headlight icon used to be. I consulted Bentley and, IIRC, it told me just to pull the knob off. This didn't work. I noticed a small hole in the metal shaft that the knob is attached to. I placed a small screwdriver in the hole to prevent the shaft from turning and I unscrewed the knob easily.

What Bentley manual are people using? I think mine is a generic 90s 3-series. For changing out the cabin microfilters, it told me to remove the glovebox. Thank goodness for the tutorial on 318ti.org!
MacUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
zboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacUser View Post
What Bentley manual are people using? I think mine is a generic 90s 3-series. For changing out the cabin microfilters, it told me to remove the glovebox. Thank goodness for the tutorial on 318ti.org!
In defense of the manual, it does say that it only covers the sedan, coupe, and convertible models leaving us out in the wind. Unfortunately, I've not yet run into anything that is as complete and is ti specific other than the collective brains of us here
Old 12-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
tiFreak

Vehicles

we should write to Bentley or Haynes and demand a ti-specific manual
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
MacUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboot View Post
In defense of the manual, it does say that it only covers the sedan, coupe, and convertible models leaving us out in the wind. Unfortunately, I've not yet run into anything that is as complete and is ti specific other than the collective brains of us here
So, you use the same version I do. I didn't know whether or not a ti-specific edition existed. I couldn't believe BMW didn't use the exact same switch for all the 3-series. Probably some issue I'm not aware of.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacUser View Post
So, you use the same version I do. I didn't know whether or not a ti-specific edition existed. I couldn't believe BMW didn't use the exact same switch for all the 3-series. Probably some issue I'm not aware of.
they actually changed the entire interior for the ti, I'm guessing they made everything cheaper to manufacture since the ti is their entry-level car
Old 12-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
MPWR

Quote:
Unfortunately, the Bentley manual only has how to do this for the other e36s. It took me several attempts to figure this out, not to mention having to lie upside down so that my head was under the dash, but here it goes:

I hope I save someone some aggravation
You definitely did save some aggravation- I'll look forward to trying it myself soon.

Any idea how to remove cruise control components?

'97 318ti M-Sport
'95 M3
BMWCCA
MPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #8
zboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPWR View Post
You definitely did save some aggravation- I'll look forward to trying it myself soon.

Any idea how to remove cruise control components?
I have a pretty good idea. Right now my stalk is exposed, so I figure all that needs doing is disconnecting electrical connectors and unscrewing switches and figuring out how to pull things out. If you're willing to wait a couple days, I could do a write up on that as well.

tsop siht no desab ekoj a ekam ot enoemos sekat ti gnol woh rednow i

Last edited by zboot; 12-10-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:59 PM   #9
MacUser

Quote:
I have a pretty good idea. Right now my stalk is exposed, so I figure all that needs doing is disconnecting electrical connectors and unscrewing switches and figuring out how to pull things out. If you're willing to wait a couple days, I could do a write up on that as well.
i
Cruise control, my kingdom for cruise control. Any chance there's an easy retrofit?

Quote:
tsop siht no desab ekoj a ekam ot enoemos sekat ti gnol woh rednow i
ycarT kciD, gnol oot ton gnisseug m'I
Old 12-11-2009, 03:56 AM   #10
tiFreak

Vehicles

damn, put your stalk away, it's too cold outside