318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 993,710 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-04-2006, 09:10 PM   #1
Juni

Talking Headlight upgrade

I have upgraded my DEPO headlights projectors. I had my hands on a set of Valeo projectors out of an Audi S4. I was thinking about selling them on ebay, but then I decided that I should probably try and upgrade the less potent DEPO projector. It used all the same screw holes, it fit right in with no modification. And the cutoff line is SOOOOOOOO much sharper. I only had time to upgrade one side due to the rain. But this will workout, that way I can take comparison pictures tonight; and finish off the other side tommorow. However I have taken some pictures of the two projectors while they were out of the car.

My feelings on the DEPO projector is that it is a joke. It is not as well built as the Valeo one. There is no comparison in quality. Anyway, here are the pics, you be the judge.

^^^^Depo on left Valeo on right^^^^^

Also, it doesn't really show in the picture, but the lense on the Valeo projector..........is incredible at concentrating the light from the HID bulb. One thing that people usually forget is that a mayor part of the HID upgrade isn't just the bulbs and the ballast, the Optics part is just as important. ENJOY!
Old 02-04-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
Platanos

you the man bro!!!!!! it should look a hellava lot better. where you get the valeo lights from? free? im excited to see more pics.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
Panzer_M

how much where your Depos?
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:48 PM   #4
Juni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platanos
you the man bro!!!!!! it should look a hellava lot better. where you get the valeo lights from? free? im excited to see more pics.
Had a friend who upgraded his S4 headlights to some ones he bought on ebay. So I asked him if I can have the old headlights and he said sure. So yes they were free! The cut off is incredible on these, so crisp and clear, another unique mod! The DEPO however do have one kinda cool feature. The projector has a lever on one side which when engaged, changes the cuttoff to the opposite way. In other words, for those guys overseas, who drive on the other side of the road, these would also work for you. That way, you wont blind opposing traffic if you used USDM headlights.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #5
Juni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer_M
how much where your Depos?
Like $170 on ebay.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:52 PM   #6
stormos

i got mine for 300 i think with predator chronium installed from umnitza
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:54 PM   #7
Platanos

help me understand....depos are the housing right? or just the light inside the housing. what your doing is swapping the "light" inside the housing right? so anyone can do this with any housings? sorry for the confusion...
Old 02-04-2006, 10:56 PM   #8
Juni

Quote:
help me understand....depos are the housing right? or just the light inside the housing. what your doing is swapping the "light" inside the housing right? so anyone can do this with any housings? sorry for the confusion...
DEPO's are both the Housing and the projector. I kept the DEPO housing, and swapped out the Projector with the Valeo. I would suppose that anyone can do it as long as you have the eurospec headlights.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:03 PM   #9
Platanos

ok, i have zkw headlights from umnitza. i love them but the high beam is like the yellowish lights that are oem. my low beams are hid and look awesome. could i swap out the high beam projector for a whiter bulb? what bulb could i use?

edit...its dark enough now junito...go take some pics
Old 02-04-2006, 11:26 PM   #10
Juni

Quote:
ok, i have zkw headlights from umnitza. i love them but the high beam is like the yellowish lights that are oem. my low beams are hid and look awesome. could i swap out the high beam projector for a whiter bulb? what bulb could i use?

edit...its dark enough now junito...go take some pics
Well, the high beams in your headlights arent projectors. They are just reflectors, and yes you can swap out the bulbs for a whiter brighter light. Usually the cheap blue coated ones do the job pretty good. Sylvania Silverstars are pretty good.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:59 PM   #11
Juni

Talking Heres the comparison

The Valeo projector is on the left, the DEPO on the right. Notice how much sharper the cutoff line is for the Valeo than the DEPO. Also notice how much brighter the Valeo projector is. It makes the DEPO look like a wannabe. And trust me, these pictures does not do it justice........in person it is much more impressive.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:05 AM   #12
Platanos

i see the difference. the left side looks alot better.

off topic ?....when you post pics, do you attach from your comp or do you use the url. everytime i post it shows a little thumbnail.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:35 AM   #13
Juni

I upload them to my gallery, then link it with the URL.