318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 996,081 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-26-2007, 05:41 AM   #1
elchicano

Talking Tuner cars gettin crushed! Noooo

So i just got this from cardomain i have heard about it but i wasnt sure if it was true. Basically all the illegal racers get their car crushed i think its dumb and basically its gonna cause alot of people to try and ditch the cops if they get caught racing which will lead to other problems. But thats just me what do you guys think about it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUJ1nmtInIE
elchicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:07 AM   #2
3DGE

That sucks! good thing I dont street-race, so I have nothing to worry about.
3DGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
bullmand

It is a pretty harsh punishment, but it's really easy to not get busted for street racing.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
larryn

Street Racer cars are getting crushed, not tuner cars. Seems fair to me. Just like drug busts can cause you to get your car or house confiscated.

I'm sure they felt that if they confiscated the cars and sold them at auction, they may have other people street racing in them.
larryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
oakley

Been doin it in the uk for years....
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #6
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Good riddance.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:55 PM   #7
Bluebimma

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Been doin it in the uk for years....
And Canada.

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #8
SDKmann

Thats not right, not even the ricers deserve that. Im pretty sure that if I had put as much money and time into my car as some of you have (and I plan to do the same once I get a car thats manual) and that happened Id go down not to watch but to shoot anyone involved. It will keep people from street racing but not completely. The problem is that there isnt a good outlet for kids do race or go fast. Auto-x and track days are kinda intimidateing. Speed limits are set too low and cops dont let anything go anymore. Instead of protect and serve its get revenue. If people were allowed to block off streets to race or speed down back roads where no one lived or drove (theres hundreds of those in Iowa) that would be a real solution. And drivers ed would have to step things up then too. Right now DE is an absolute joke, if they really taught kids to drive mabye things would be better.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:41 PM   #9
BleMW

lol i saw that car in the vice and went "yeah crush it!!!!"
Old 06-26-2007, 05:04 PM   #10
mohaughn

Quote:
Auto-x and track days are kinda intimidateing.
After the first couple of events you get used to how things go and usually have met a few people that are regulars at the events. I don't see there being an excuse to street race in my area. There are weekly DE's, open drag events, and autocross events through almost all of the year.

The big problem with a lot of street racing cars is that the cars either really suck at true performance driving events or the drivers really suck. Kind of an ego thing. Street racers show up and see basically stock cars or cars not nearly as blinged out as their cars with excellent drivers trouncing on them at organized events and don't want to come back.

The cars were already being impounded and confiscated upon conviction. So the person found guilty of street racing is already losing the car. If you are stupid enough to run from the cops then you deserve whatever happens as a result of that. Including killing yourself, the guilt of killing other people, and a felony conviction.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:37 PM   #11
SDKmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
After the first couple of events you get used to how things go and usually have met a few people that are regulars at the events. I don't see there being an excuse to street race in my area. There are weekly DE's, open drag events, and autocross events through almost all of the year.

The big problem with a lot of street racing cars is that the cars either really suck at true performance driving events or the drivers really suck. Kind of an ego thing. Street racers show up and see basically stock cars or cars not nearly as blinged out as their cars with excellent drivers trouncing on them at organized events and don't want to come back.

The cars were already being impounded and confiscated upon conviction. So the person found guilty of street racing is already losing the car. If you are stupid enough to run from the cops then you deserve whatever happens as a result of that. Including killing yourself, the guilt of killing other people, and a felony conviction.
Ok first, yeah your area. What about my area? If you dont have a stang theres nothing for you here. You live in a area where those things are avalible to you. Not every single city is like LA, there are small towns without those opportunities. Two- thats why drivers ed needs to be a more comprehensive program. The cant ignore the fact that kids will race and go fast and pretend like everyone is perfect law abideing citizens. They need to set up a high speed/ defensive driving portion of the program. That would help. And a point brought up on another forum is that ITS NOT JUST STREET RACERS GETTING CRUSHED!!! they are checking vins on modded cars pulled over for minor infractions to look for "stolen" parts and crush cars with vins that dont match. Now Im all about cracking down on stolen parts buyers/sellers but some kids dont know they are buying stolen parts, they just think they found a great deal on Ebay or a forum. But even worse is that any vin not in the CHP registry is considered stolen. This includes EURO AND JAPANESE PARTS. If someone imports a motor from Japan or Europe and their vin gets checked because they rolled through a stop sign then their car will be crushed. Thats not right.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:50 PM   #12
larryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKmann View Post
But even worse is that any vin not in the CHP registry is considered stolen. This includes EURO AND JAPANESE PARTS. If someone imports a motor from Japan or Europe and their vin gets checked because they rolled through a stop sign then their car will be crushed. Thats not right.

This sounds not correct. Got a link? If you repair your car with a part from another car (like a junk yard), you get crushed for blowing through a stop sign?

I wonder if it's more like the police happened to catch somebody that ran a stop sign, and noticed that some of the vin's on the car came up as reported stolen. In that case, they have every right to crush it. You fenced stolen property, knowingly or not.
larryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:12 PM   #13
bullmand

I think the driver's ed issue is really separate from what we're talking about here. I do agree that what passes for driver's ed in this country is pretty useless. Memorize some basic rules, drive around in a parking lot a 5 mph and you're good. That's crap. The problem that California is dealing with is not a bunch of newly licensed 16 year olds doing the silly things that they do. These are illegal street racers who are killing themselves(which is fine) and innocent motorists(not so fine). There's really no excuse to not go to some sort of track or controlled area in SoCal. There are drag strips and racetracks all over the place out there. The cops have even held free open events at various places to get the racing off the streets. It's true that in Iowa you may not have as many options for controlled / sanctioned racing, but if you're out on a back road in the middle of nowhere you're also not likely to kill somebody else or get picked up by the police. There's a drag strip in Cordova, IL and I'm sure someone at your local BMWCCA chapter can point you in the direction of autocrosses in your area.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:29 PM   #14
SDKmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
This sounds not correct. Got a link? If you repair your car with a part from another car (like a junk yard), you get crushed for blowing through a stop sign?

I wonder if it's more like the police happened to catch somebody that ran a stop sign, and noticed that some of the vin's on the car came up as reported stolen. In that case, they have every right to crush it. You fenced stolen property, knowingly or not.
Getting parts from a junk yard is different. Those Vins are registered and wont come up stolen because they havnt been reported stolen. The CHP is considering any vins not in their registry stolen wether it says so or not. They are saying "We dont know where this came from so it must be stolen".

And yes there is a drag strip in Cordova but you are a brave man to go there in anything other then a muscle car or truck. And you obviously have never met a Bettendorf cop, they go to the back roads because they know its where people go to speed. Its all about money, not protecting innocnet people. I think that street racing needs to stop when innocent people get killed, Im definitly not for someone getting kill because another person wanted to have a little fun.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:06 PM   #15
mohaughn

Quote:
Ok first, yeah your area. What about my area? If you dont have a stang theres nothing for you here. You live in a area where those things are avalible to you. Not every single city is like LA, there are small towns without those opportunities. Two- thats why drivers ed needs to be a more comprehensive program. The cant ignore the fact that kids will race and go fast and pretend like everyone is perfect law abideing citizens. They need to set up a high speed/ defensive driving portion of the program. That would help.
Just a quick search on google turned up SCCA autocross events in your area... If you want a more comprehensive drivers ed program, go and pay for it. Drivers eds tries to teach you to be a law abiding driver. Not how to drive over the speed limit or in an aggressive manner. My drivers ed program had a great defensive driving component. But we did not do any sort of performance driving. Rightfully so, I don't want my tax dollars teaching kids to drive cars above the speed limit or in an unsafe manner. The only way to properly learn performance driving is in a controlled track/auto-x event where the proper security measures are in place. Schools can't afford that.

Even if you don't have the opportunity that does not mean it is ok to go and break the law. So you don't have a porsche dealership in your town, it is just ok to go and steal it from your neighbor?

Quote:
Getting parts from a junk yard is different. Those Vins are registered and wont come up stolen because they havnt been reported stolen. The CHP is considering any vins not in their registry stolen wether it says so or not. They are saying "We dont know where this came from so it must be stolen".
Got a source? A real, verifiable, and authentic source, not some street racer complaining on another forum. Very few car parts have the vin etched on them, and do you know how hard it would be for a street cop to check every VIN on the car everytime that the car is pulled over? This sounds like complete bull to me.

Quote:
I think that street racing needs to stop when innocent people get killed, Im definitly not for someone getting kill because another person wanted to have a little fun.
So somebody has to die before you think it should be stopped? Innocent people HAVE been killed by street racing. Why are you defending it when you agree that it should stop when innocent people are killed.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote