318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 984,514 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-15-2009, 02:49 AM   #61
tiFreak

Vehicles

cool, know anyone who's into guns? you should take the hood to a firing range

(and take a video so we can watch too )
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:42 AM   #62
HuGo

So what's next...VIS CF Hood?

Seibon I am really happy for you and imma let you finish but... VIS has the best 318ti CF hood of all time! OF ALL TIME!

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #63
drrty byl

It's pretty wack that they won't give you a refund.

My nobrand (suspected VIS) CF hood had a gap with the fenders and headlights similar to what's in your photos. Patient adjustment of fender washer stacks, nose panel, and latch risers eventually got rid of any noticeable gaps.
drrty byl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #64
RichieRich

I am getting my money refunded drrty byl. They want to me to destroy the hood so that it cannot be used and provide proof of its destruction by photos by Saturday. So, tomorrow morning, under the theory that the big brother should always take care of his little sister, I am backing over the hood with my E46 330xi. Will post the resulting pics.

UPDATE: Chris Osborne, a/k/a "cosborne", owner of Illstreet, the Seibon distributor, attempted to rip me off my sending a refund check marked "Refund in full, Invoice XXXX" that was $100.00 LESS THAN WHAT I WAS DUE. I did not and am not cashing it. Now the lawyers are going to become involved....

BE VERY AWARE OF THIS IF YOU PLAN ON DOING BUSINESS WITH ILLSTREET

Last edited by RichieRich; 11-13-2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Update
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #65
Mr.Squeelerz

I want to see an old lady on one of those scooter thingys peeling across it.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #66
cosborne

Before you do that, I'd like to determine what exactly is hitting. Someone pointed out that you actually didn't put a piece of modeling clay on the front of the intake manifold. We'll take care of you regardless but would you mind putting a piece there just to satisfy my curiosity?
cosborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #67
RichieRich

Sure, I'll dig out the PlayDough again for the front of the manifold. No sweat. But...that still assumes that it is actually hitting anything at all, which I know from so many tests and observations that it isn't. I simply think that, as sometimes happens during any manufacturing process, a lemon was produced by Seibon.

Last edited by RichieRich; 10-16-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #68
cosborne

If you'd like, you can send it to us and we'll do some comparison to a ViS hood we know fits. I can send an airbill on Monday. If it is a defect and for whatever reason this one pulled out of the mold differently from every other one we've sold then we'll know and you guys will have Seibon as an option. If the hood is hitting the corner of the intake manifold I can tell Seibon about it and they can redesign the hood to fit your cars. Win win for the 318ti community all around. Oh and the reason I didn't reply over the past few days was I've been locked away doing last minute taxes
Old 10-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #69
pdxmotorhead

Funny, I've done a fair amount of fiberglass layup and carbon and its just not that uncommon to have a larger piece contract if you pull it too quick. Pull something flat from the mold before the resin has cured enough and it will sometimes shrink on the wet side, causing a curve in the piece.

There was a Lamborghini body kit years ago that was famous for just a hair of droop in the top of the windshield that was caused by them pulling the mold off the original car they were using as a form. It was a rental car and they had to get it back or pay another day. So the factory windshields did not fit and had to be ground to work.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #70
cosborne

pdx - your theory makes sense except these hoods are two piece molds that are put together with reinforcement tape and epoxy. In order for your theory to work, the bottom would have to curve up, away from the ground in the middle... AWAY from the middle of the mold. It's impossible in this particular application because it's a two piece part. Improper storage would be a more likely cause. In which case you'd be able to push the center of the hood down with a little weight on a sunny day and it'd return to the original shape. My understanding is that the center of the hood will not push down.

Last edited by cosborne; 10-16-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:57 AM   #71
pdxmotorhead

Unless the whole bottom piece shrunk after assembly which I've also seen on fiberglass hood on mustangs. It pulls in on the edges and "puffs" the middle up. Its also possible the bump was there before the two pieces were bonded?

I noticed this on a car last year we think it was related to short cure times and a batch of epoxy not getting mixed at the right ratio, so the inner liner half took months to really cure out? My experience is composites are perfect, until either temperatures during the layup or the epoxy mixer gets worn or screwed up then all bets are off. I had one short me on hardener by about 8% and the layup never got hard, felt cured but was semi pliable...

Lots of possibilities.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:49 PM   #72
cosborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
Unless the whole bottom piece shrunk after assembly which I've also seen on fiberglass hood on mustangs. It pulls in on the edges and "puffs" the middle up. Its also possible the bump was there before the two pieces were bonded?

I noticed this on a car last year we think it was related to short cure times and a batch of epoxy not getting mixed at the right ratio, so the inner liner half took months to really cure out? My experience is composites are perfect, until either temperatures during the layup or the epoxy mixer gets worn or screwed up then all bets are off. I had one short me on hardener by about 8% and the layup never got hard, felt cured but was semi pliable...

Lots of possibilities.

Dave
Yeah, that's possible. I've never seen it happen coming out of Seibon but there's no telling.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:11 PM   #73
sam316i

Maybe you could try removing the hood and carfully standing it side ways on a big peice of card and with a marker pen follow the curve of the hood then do the same with your correct fitting steel hood and compare the curves, that way there will be a definitive answer. Hope you understand what i mean.
sam316i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #74
sam316i

Like this?

sam316i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #75
RichieRich

Default End of Story

Didn't see the post by Cosborne offering a airbill until too late, and frankly I just want this whole ordeal to be over anyway. The hood was destroyed this morning. Backed over it with a 2003 BMW 330xi, and when to my great surprise that didn't completely accomplish the task (see third photo at top right where there's a tire track down the middle of an intact hood!) I took a circular saw to it.

UPDATE: Chris Osborne, a/k/a "cosborne", owner of Illstreet, the Seibon distributor, attempted to rip me off my sending a refund check marked "Refund in full, Invoice XXXX" that was $100.00 LESS THAN WHAT I WAS DUE. I did not and am not cashing it. Now the lawyers are going to become involved....

BE VERY AWARE OF THIS IF YOU PLAN ON DOING BUSINESS WITH ILLSTREET

Last edited by 1996 328ti; 11-24-2009 at 08:04 PM.