318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Knowledge Base

Notices

Knowledge Base How to articles and things explained.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Comments, 96,918 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Comments, 59,890 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Comments, 57,301 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Comments, 132,405 Views
Comment Share/Bookmark

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2008, 05:27 AM  
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Default PERMANENT WINDOW FIX***DIY***

There's been plenty of threads, but none as detailed as this one. I'm confident that I have identified the source of our problems and developed a permanent solution.

I "fixed" my window many times before I finally got sick of dealing with it and was on the verge of retrofitting...

Last edited by cooljess76; 07-08-2010 at 09:42 AM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
By b.u.ti-ful on 05-01-2009, 10:31 PM

I put in new ones when I did this job just to be sure.

Ebay Item number: 280318842765
By cooljess76 on 05-01-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokat1989 View Post
lol what I should have said is that the ball doesn't stay in the socket unless you hold it there. In other words its completely loose which is why I think the socket may be broken. Can the slider pieces be had at the dealership or am I just doing it wrong and its not broken so I should use the same one?
It should snap into the socket if you squeeze them together. If it doesn't and just loosely goes in and out of the socket, the slider is definitely broken. It is a good idea to replace them like bu.ti.ful did, but it's not always necessary.
By rnelson197 on 05-02-2009, 06:39 AM
Default Windows huh

Wow. Can't wait to have the time to do this job. Window moves a little. This may fix it.
By cooljess76 on 05-03-2009, 09:57 PM

Okay guys, Lazoh just informed me that his passenger window has come off track and needs to be fixed. I fixed his driver's side window over a year ago and it still works flawlessly. So, due to popular demand, I'll have him take detailed photos as I attempt to fix his passenger window. This will take place sometime within the next couple of weeks when we get some free time. Standby for some exciting and informative photographs that have been long awaited. This thread will deliver, I promise.
By Rhys on 05-09-2009, 12:50 PM

Wish I'd read this last year..
An arm on the passenger side has bent and after stripping the door down to fix it - it was a real pain to do. Still not right. Drivers side window got smashed in an accident and got replaced. New window is stiff to lift and is putting strain on the mech. Both window switches have been disconnected so the windows can't be used so as not to damage them any more. Might have another go sometime after reading this.
By sokat1989 on 05-29-2009, 03:25 AM

ok so i started on this and got my driver side window done and it seems to be working nicely. I had to re-glue the rubber guide on the back side and it was a bit tough since the rubber was torn length wise. I started on the passenger side window on to find that its completely missing the rubber guide along the back side. I know what you are thinking, "look at the bottom of the door." I did for a long long time. Its not there. It doesn't exist!! lol previous owner must have opened it or something because i can see some of the door clips have already been JB welded (poorly i should add).

So here's my question. where do i get a new one? do i need to make one or can i buy it from the dealership or online somewhere?
By cooljess76 on 05-29-2009, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokat1989 View Post
ok so i started on this and got my driver side window done and it seems to be working nicely. I had to re-glue the rubber guide on the back side and it was a bit tough since the rubber was torn length wise. I started on the passenger side window on to find that its completely missing the rubber guide along the back side. I know what you are thinking, "look at the bottom of the door." I did for a long long time. Its not there. It doesn't exist!! lol previous owner must have opened it or something because i can see some of the door clips have already been JB welded (poorly i should add).

So here's my question. where do i get a new one? do i need to make one or can i buy it from the dealership or online somewhere?
Part#51321960413 pelicanparts.com sells them for $7.75 each or getbmwparts.com sells them for $5.94

BTW, I found the part# on realoem.com
By 95tiSpud on 07-27-2009, 06:34 PM

I just recently found this site and more importantly this thread (the AC lost it's recent charge of freon AGAIN). I was about to pay a shop to do this work and glad I didn't. Haven't been able to roll the windows down in YEARS! Thank you Cooljess for the article! Followed it exactly and now they are working properly. No more sweating trying to get home in the afternoon.
By fieldhb on 07-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Default Did this the other day. - Great write up!!!

My window popped out of the sliders about 2 weeks ago.
This was after having the regulater replaced last winter to the tune of 400+ dollars.
Independent shop so no warranty and the guy didn't return call, so I decided to try it myself.
Excellent write up!!!!!
One thing I noticed is the front arm was hitting the top most bolt holding the regulator on when the window was out!
So I reversed the bolt to fix this.
The guy who drilled out the rivets must not have used the right bolt.
I got everything back together and it is working ok, but still doesn't pass the slam test.
I have tried bending the window rail guides, but it doesn't seem to help.
I am thinking of just buying new ones, since I found them for only 12$ online.
Here is a link to the rail guide that I found:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search_BMW/...38884/ES93756/
My Question is, I only see one Rail Guide available, and it looks like the front one.
Shouldn't they offer two - a front one and a back one for each side?
By cooljess76 on 07-27-2009, 10:47 PM

By fieldhb on 07-28-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Thanks, I have looked there also, and this is what i get:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...55&hg=51&fg=10

But it shows a window guide rail for drivers side ( left I am assuming) and window guide rail for passenger side ( right I am assuming ).
But each door has 2 window guides, front and back.
They only show one for each door.
By cooljess76 on 07-28-2009, 04:32 PM

Yes that's the aft guide. IIRC, only the rear guides are replacable. I think the fronts are spot welded in place.
By ti_guy on 07-28-2009, 07:04 PM

After my window fell down, I did this DIY and glad I did, it probably saved me about $250 and cost less than 10$ to do the DIY.

Some more notes:
No matter what before you even start.. get the 2 new white sliders, they are like $2 each at the dealer.
The arms are supposed to pop in there tightly and don't come off easily, so don't reuse the originals!

Don't just straighten the arms, bend them in a way so that the ball should be at a 90 degree to the sliders, be careful not to rough up or damage the ball.

While you're in there, do the smart thing and spray a lot of anty-rust

Also, for sport models or those with an air bag:
The bluddy screw is behind the SRS little logo, remove the plastic piece and unscrew to get the the panel off.
By bond007 on 08-21-2009, 09:09 PM

Follow-up to my original post:
I ordered a regulator mechanism off eBay, ~$60. It came with the necessary hardware (bolts and two new plastic sliders and metal clips). The regulator I removed was pretty bent up. I don't think that they can be straightened too many times and for the amount of pain it is, it's probably cheaper to replace it if the first repair attempt doesn't hold up. I installed it and the window still popped out of track.

I pulled the other side apart (which had yet to break) to re-grease it and compare. Moving the broken window up and down the guide, it felt like it was binding and the rear guide felt like the culprit. I re-greased the side that was still functional and put it back together.

I pulled the rear window guide out of the broken door, removed the felt, cleaned it as well the glue side and the metal channel and then re-glued it with the proper glue, 3M super weatherstrip and gasket adhesive (http://www.autobarn.net/3msupweatgas.html).

The mechanism seems to be working fine now. I am still skeptical, as the prior time, it behaved similarly. I will give it a couple of weeks of abuse before I pronounce it fully cured. Meanwhile, I am repairing the door panels, yet again.
By Drubix on 09-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Default Miracle Fix

This write up works.
I have tried to repair our 96 ti three times, all with no long term cure.
The key points for me was the application of glue to the felt window tracks, both of them, then tweaking the front track as described. The repair withstood repeated slamming of the door with the window down, I mean really slammed, and no problem. Used the JB Weld as well, along with new door panel clips and the door is solid as a rock. Very satisfied with this DIY!
Comment