318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Knowledge Base

Notices

Knowledge Base How to articles and things explained.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Comments, 97,908 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Comments, 60,771 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Comments, 58,116 Views
Comment Share/Bookmark

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2008, 05:27 AM  
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Default PERMANENT WINDOW FIX***DIY***

There's been plenty of threads, but none as detailed as this one. I'm confident that I have identified the source of our problems and developed a permanent solution.

I "fixed" my window many times before I finally got sick of dealing with it and was on the verge of retrofitting...

Last edited by cooljess76; 07-08-2010 at 09:42 AM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
By goku7642 on 11-05-2013, 05:26 AM

Hello Everyone, im a please to inform you that the Black door posts are now available to purchase by door sets.
with this parts you can put your door panel back together and not have to drill or do any kind of weird fix.

you can find them on ebay.
or follow the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/318ti-Door-P...16.m2518.l4276

happy fixing everyone
By jAladdin on 12-02-2013, 11:49 PM

Hey guys, completely new to the forums, and just got my e36 compact a few months ago. My window JUST went off "track" this past Thursday night, while I was on my way to meet up with friends. Totally blew my night, lol. I've been reading pretty much this WHOLE thread, which gave me quite a lot of knowledge about what could be the problems with the window going faulty. Thank you to (cooljess76) for the massive tutorial, and everyone else that came up with awesome ideas and solutions to fix these window problems.
I will tackle this project sometime this week, once my new slider clips come in.
Can anyone please tell me what type of grease is great to add to the tracks?
By Eric on 12-03-2013, 12:01 AM

I'm sure that white lithium grease is the recommended type, but, that being said, I used a bright red cartridge grease normally used for bulldozer joints. It's crazy slippery and doesn't seem to get thicker or thinner with temperature changes.

Anything that stays slippery, doesn't dry out, and won't run should be fine.

- Eric
By jAladdin on 12-03-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I'm sure that white lithium grease is the recommended type, but, that being said, I used a bright red cartridge grease normally used for bulldozer joints. It's crazy slippery and doesn't seem to get thicker or thinner with temperature changes.

Anything that stays slippery, doesn't dry out, and won't run should be fine.

- Eric
Awesome, thanks!

Where can I get white lithium grease, or the grease you used?
By R111S on 12-03-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAladdin View Post
Can anyone please tell me what type of grease is great to add to the tracks?
I'd stay away from Petroleum based Lubricants. They can attack rubber/plastic components such that they disintegrate. Tire Shine and Vinyl Care Products will usually work without risk.
By Eric on 12-03-2013, 12:23 AM

I think we're not communicating well.

I mean the track at the bottom of the glass that the nylon sliders move in.

R111S may mean the tracks that the window slides in, in the front and the back, which I would not recommend lubricating at all.

As for sources - your local auto parts store should have what you need.
I have no idea where the grease I used came from - we got it 10 years ago at a flea market.

- Eric
By R111S on 12-03-2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:
R111S may mean the tracks that the window slides in, in the front and the back, which I would not recommend lubricating at all.
Yes the tracks is what I am referring too - sorry I didn't specify.

OTOH, I can heartily recommend lubing these. There was allot of resistance to window up/down movement until I lubed these tracks with Tire Shine. Now my window that formerly jumped out of the tracks (obviously due to heavy resistance) glides quickly up/down.
By jAladdin on 12-03-2013, 01:15 AM

Quote:
I think we're not communicating well.

I mean the track at the bottom of the glass that the nylon sliders move in.

As for sources - your local auto parts store should have what you need.
I have no idea where the grease I used came from - we got it 10 years ago at a flea market.

- Eric
Awesome.

I have multiple questions:
I haven't opened up my door yet, I will get on it as soon as the sliders come in. So i'm not very sure of what exactly I should be greasing up. I know it's the track that the sliders are sliding in from the regulator arm, but do I have to grease up the "tracks" the window slides through? And the frame that the window sits in when it is all the way up? Does that frame also create resistance?
By jAladdin on 12-03-2013, 02:05 AM

Also, would Sil-Glyde work well to grease/lubricate the tracks?
By Eric on 12-03-2013, 03:04 AM

I would feel how much resistance is there between the glass and the felt tracks and use that to decide.
There was almost none when I took mine apart, so I can't make any recommendations.

- Eric
By jAladdin on 12-03-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
I would feel how much resistance is there between the glass and the felt tracks and use that to decide.
There was almost none when I took mine apart, so I can't make any recommendations.

- Eric
Sorry, but to decide what? If I should apply the grease/lubricant?

And I haven't opened up my door yet, I will get on it as soon as the sliders come in. So i'm not very sure of what exactly I should be greasing up. I know it's the track that the sliders are sliding in from the regulator arm, but do I have to grease up the "tracks" the window slides through? And the frame that the window sits in when it is all the way up? Does that frame also create resistance?
By Eric on 12-03-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAladdin View Post
Sorry, but to decide what? If I should apply the grease/lubricant?
Exactly.

Clean and grease the metal track that the nylon sliders slide in.

While the window is disconnected, push it up and down by hand, and feel the resistance of the window tracks on either side. If it feels too tight, then you might consider lubricating them. If not, then leave it alone.

- Eric
By jAladdin on 12-03-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Exactly.

Clean and grease the metal track that the nylon sliders slide in.

While the window is disconnected, push it up and down by hand, and feel the resistance of the window tracks on either side. If it feels too tight, then you might consider lubricating them. If not, then leave it alone.

- Eric
Cool, thank you!
Can't wait to get on this. I'll post how it all went when I finish.
By jAladdin on 12-03-2013, 10:39 PM

Found out my slider clips are coming in today, actually. So I'll be spending my day on this project. Wish me luck, guys.
By jAladdin on 12-04-2013, 06:28 AM

Straightening the regulator arms by hand feels impossible. At least for me. Im literally stuck on this part. Someone help, please!
Comment