318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 997,000 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
///R

Default Intro and need some help please

Hi guys,

Been reading around the forum and just signed up, so just posting to say hi. I'm a new 318ti owner from Scotland, which I bought about 5 months ago now, traded in my old 316se salon for it.
I still need to get some decent pics but I'll get them posted soon. Its quite a tidy little 318ti M Sport in techno violet, has only done 50,000 miles, year 2000, I seen it on the internet and instantly loved it, so went and bought it the next day. No real mods as yet though.

I have a little problem with it however and wonder if you guys can help, I know its not great to ask for help first post but maybe you guys have seen this before.

I have a print out of the errors codes which are:

112 Camshaft Position Sensor

62 Misfiring, sum, relevant to exhaust gas

52 Misfiring cyl.3, relevant to exhaust gas

I thought at first my exhaust had blown, but i've had it checked out and the exhaust is fine.
Some times the car will run great, but then sometimes when I accelerate its like someone slams on the breaks and car kind of jerks and losses all power.
There is no warning lights and the car also idles fine, sometimes doesn't start great though.

I've searched around the internet and can't pin point what the problem is, any suggestions welcome, hoping its just something simple like the Camshaft sensor just needs changed, or i've read it might even be as simple just changing the sparks plugs / leads, it is overdue a service.

Cheers,
Ray.
///R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
northcosmos

Welcome to the site. Sorry but I cant help, doesnt sound good though - just thought I'd say hello. I also have a ti M Sports - nice little cars. Hope you get some help soon.
northcosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Changing the Camshaft Position Sensor would be a good place to start.

BTW, what color is the interior of your car? If it's black/purple, you DEFINITELY need to post some photos in your gallery. :-)

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
///R

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
BTW, what color is the interior of your car? If it's black/purple, you DEFINITELY need to post some photos in your gallery. :-)
Its half black leather with grey cloth.

EDIT: I do have some nice black / purple car mats with the 318ti logo on them though.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
96cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
Changing the Camshaft Position Sensor would be a good place to start.

+1

the cam shaft sensor is a common failure on this motor. Get it done asap, think there is also a DIY write up here on this site. Mine went around 50k miles too.

BTW you should check to make sure you have a CEL light in the cluster still- some people remove them before a sale so there is no CEL lit up.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:57 PM   #6
tiFreak

Vehicles

welcome, I would kill for a techno-violet 318ti
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:38 AM   #7
Fagerheim

nice, yeah changeing the camshaft position sensor is easy... Mine is also broken...
Its on the front at the engine, well its the only sensor u can see at the front i think...
The wire on the sensor goes from the senson and into a black box in between your Intake manifoil... Im going to change my sensor in 1 month... Going on holyday soon, so I havent done it yet...
If you want to il make a write up with pictures for u =) ?
Sensor shouldnt be that expencive, here in norway the OEM sensor is about 200$ i think... (norway is expencive)
Fagerheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:44 AM   #8
Fagerheim

this might be the part between your air mass sensor and intake manifoil... that throttle rubber elbow boot (i think its called...)... if its a hole in this (this usualy happends on E36's) Your engine will get more air than the air mass sensor tells the OBC... this part is easy to change, and should cost like 40$ for OEM part...
Check the part for holes... if its not any holes let me know =)
Old 07-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #9
///R

Thanks for the help Fagerheim, I think i'll just get the garage to change the sensor while its in for its service though. I can't see any visible damage to the rubber elbow thing.

Plan of action for now is to get it booked in for its overdue service and get them to change the sensor while its in, then we'll see how its running.

Haven't been driving it for while because of this, but had it out today and noticed it starts no problems at all from cold, first time, but starting from hot it stalls and takes a few times to get going and also sounds kind of rough.

I'm at work the next two days, so i'll get it booked in on monday, will take some pics over the weekend and get them posted.

Cheers,
Ray.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:47 PM   #10
Fagerheim

you should not get these because of the camshaft position sensor...
Have you checked the sparkplugs ?
I cant help u mcuh since I dont know how you car act... it can be so many things...

Well, lett me know when u have replaced the camshaft position sensor =)
Old 07-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #11
///R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fagerheim View Post

you should not get these because of the camshaft position sensor...
Have you checked the sparkplugs ?
I cant help u mcuh since I dont know how you car act... it can be so many things...

Well, lett me know when u have replaced the camshaft position sensor =)
I have the car booked in for a service so the spark plugs will get changed then, partly why i'm getting it serviced, hoping it will clear the misfire, if not I've read it might be the o2 sensor or the air flow valve?

Quick question about the servicing, I have just booked it in for a full service with my usual MOT centre, do you guys think that will be a good enough service or should I go for the BMW inspection, the inspection 2 is £380 here bit too dear I think.

The service will done next Monday, and the camshaft sensor will also be changed then.

Cheers.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #12
Fagerheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///R View Post
I have the car booked in for a service so the spark plugs will get changed then, partly why i'm getting it serviced, hoping it will clear the misfire, if not I've read it might be the o2 sensor or the air flow valve?

Quick question about the servicing, I have just booked it in for a full service with my usual MOT centre, do you guys think that will be a good enough service or should I go for the BMW inspection, the inspection 2 is £380 here bit too dear I think.

The service will done next Monday, and the camshaft sensor will also be changed then.

Cheers.
Inspection 2 covers everything, oilfilter, oilchange, microfilter, airfilter, sparkplugs, fil up all liquids, oiling the doors etc. and a big check of the whole car... (brakes, exhoust and such)

Inspection 1 is more like a normal service... oilfilter, oilchange, microfilter fill up all liquids, oiling doors etc. and a check of the whole car... (brakes, exhoust and such)

Normal service... oilfilter, oilchange, fill up a liquids, check of the whole car... (brakes, exhoust and such)

£380 for a inspection 2 is cheap i think, but everything in norway is expensive... in norway it is around £600 i think ^^

Well, if they do normal service for u, just buy those other things and do it your self, its pretty easy... :P

Misfire can be many things... O2 sensor, camshaft position sensor, air mass flow sensor, bad sparkplugs, that throttle rubber elbow boot etc...
Did u get to know how many times it had happend ?