318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,008,633 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-08-2004, 03:33 AM   #1
Beach

Question Best sound system??

I have been looking at the Blaupunkt Casablanca. I like the price but it lacks support for XM or Sirius. Does anyone like Alpine?

I guess I would like to get the best bang for the buck - but not spend more than say $500...
Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:35 AM   #2
gadgetphreak

The challenge I am faced with is finding something that integrates well with the design of the rest of the dash. The way the dash is layed out it kinda needs to blend or I think it would look tack-ay.

I am kinda shallow that way though, fashion rates at least as high as function in many cases...

I like the Blaupunkt Seattle, but haven't seen it up close, only in pic's.
gadgetphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:30 PM   #3
GDB

I've been looking at JVCs lately. I had one in my old car and I really liked the layout of it, it had alot of adjustability but was also fairly simple to use. It also has the color changing display which is a much to get it to match or come close to matching the guages (and do not suggest the alpine to me, I can't stand the way those 4 big buttons look ).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:36 PM   #4
NEKO

I currently have a Clarior and F#@*ing hate the thing. It doesn't like to read CDs most of the time. Im about to buy a Blaupunkt Miami Beach CD52. I think Im getting an ipod for christmas so Ill buy the FM modulator so I can listen to my MP3's in the car.

I'm mainly buying the blaupunkt for the price and I like that it illuminates red so it will match the dash lights.
NEKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:46 PM   #5
gadgetphreak

I have a 3G 20gig iPod that I have had for a little over a year now... I tried the FM Modulator with my Wife's Eddie Bauer Explorer and wasn't pleased with the sound quality of the FM Modulator. It is basically as good as a strong FM signal, which is ok, but in all honesty the Tape adapter worked better.

She has a 6disc in-dash changer, so we don't use the iPod in that car much. I am thinking of the new Monster adapter which you can use with the stock system and then just change out the stock speakers. You can get a display that can be mounted somewhere up front near your stereo which lets you see what is playing on your iPod so it can be mounted out of site somewhere that doesn't pick up the noise that they are famous for getting in German cars...

You can get more information at www.monstercable.com/icruze

Gadget
gadgetphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:49 PM   #6
96cali

Nakamichi is well regarded and looks almost stock. Think the CD-300 is about $300. Has RCA inputs on back to run an MP3 hookup. Not sure if they have any accomodation for satelite radio.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:28 PM   #7
mrnine

I bought a Kenwood KDC-MPV8025. I LOVE IT!!! One reason i bought it is that you can select display color and tune it to match my ti's red-orange. Also, the motorized fold-out, stealth display is awesome. Looks like there's no stereo when the car's off. When it opens up, it is designed well enough that I can easily work all the controls without even looking at the unit. Yet if I want to look to the display, the names of songs on the Sirius tuner are easily readable.

I bought mine through eTronics, but it's like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...734661883&rd=1

This has been hands down the best system I've ever owned. I've gone with Pioneer exclusively in the past, but their look does not match BMW's very well. I too bought on looks, but have been sold by the features and usability of the Kenwood. Really a sweet system.

I bought my Sirius tuner, a Terk antenna and a Bazooka amped tube on eBay for dirt cheap. Installed myself and put the Sirius tuner box behind the glovebox. Install really wasn't bad. Biggest challenge was making it all fit. I had to shorten some of my connecters cuz the real estate back there is t-i-g-h-t!

It's also got RCA inputs and I've thought about wiring my iPod in but have just been using an FM modulator. I'm on my second modulator and this one's quality is not bad. To tell you the truth, since I got Sirius, it's all I listen to.
mrnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:56 PM   #8
TiPerformance

I personally have always like Eclipse head units.
TiPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:35 AM   #9
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

If i was planning on buying one i'd only get an alpine.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 07:07 AM   #10
lkwd318ti

I have an Alpine head unit and i like it alot! Mine plays MP3s too which is cool.
Another cool thing about the Alpines are that they have this adapter that you can hook up your iPod to...and you control the iPod THROUGH the head unit.
Supposedly, the sound quality is REALLY good too. But thats only from what i've heard, haven't really heard it in person.
The adapter costs around $100.
Too bad i dont have an iPod
Now Featuring:318ti.org sticker Now featuring: Hartge exhaust|Blacked out Grilles|Front Clear Corners or Ambers depending on how I feel|325is vented front brakes|Bilstein Sports|H&R Sports|E46 RSMs w/ Z3 reinforcment plates|16" Style 45s|17" E46 M68 rims|18" Authentic Hartge Classics C|OEM M135 ZHP wheels
and
99 Titan Silver 323is Dinan S1+few more mods
Coming sometime in the future:...SCed 2.1...new (to me) car mod maybe?...all in one car
lkwd318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:03 AM   #11
Silver00spike

Alpine 7894
Silver00spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:07 PM   #12
Cham210

Default Head Unit

I have owned two previous Blaupunkt head units, a Casablanca & a Santa Fe and both were too tempermental with various problems. I now have an Alpine 9827 which is perfect. Your only problem may be that the basic color is a silver tone but it looks great in mine.

Chris
Cham210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:40 PM   #13
Beach

Good information. I still have not decided on one. Thanks for the info Cham210, I am glad I did not get the Blaupunkt. I just thought it would be cool to have a German made radio - but stability is more important. I was beat in an eBay auction (within 30 seconds) for a Blaupunkt 7002 which is a head unit that contains a 7 inch lcd screen. This would be overkill but the price was right.
Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 07:05 PM   #14
seala8

i like my pioneer deh-p6600..even though it doesnt match it give the dash a lil more color.it also has some nice graphics. about $260
seala8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:00 AM   #15
robbie-z

Default my $.02

i've got a nakamichi cd400 in my ti. aside from the illumination being a few shades towards yellow and not exactly the amber our dashes light up, i think it is the best looking radio to grace the dash of a ti. the controls are uncluttered, well placed and easy to use. the deck does not support satellite radio, but does have pre-ins and i've patched my delphi roady right in. for the audiophiles out there, the unit also has a 24 bit d/a and all the right pre-outs. i'm using the factory amp in my car, and with a little (very little) more bass, i would be totally happy. i paid about $300-ish for it. a very good buy in my book.
robbie-z is offline   Reply With Quote