318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing

Notices

Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing Discuss "organized" racing, car set-ups, driving techniques, track tips, events, driving schools, maintenance and more.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,308,900 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 405,266 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-08-2006, 04:37 PM   #16
bmw318tiChic

Nice.. I'd love to learn how to do that sometime.
bmw318tiChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:14 PM   #17
wirelessalpha

eh...its fun stuff I agree. BUt dammit! I spend so much on tires.... If you are ever in the NJ area - let me know and we can hit some backroads!

Check out my drift daily driver: http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/186340
wirelessalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:49 PM   #18
buddhajono

I find the best way to get a nice long drift (in winter anyway) is to first of all make sure you got the right speed (very important in winter with snowbanks on sides of road) and then pull up handbrake while holding the button, get the car nice and sideways (takes a split second) and then push the handbrake back down quickly while getting on the gas right after to keep the drift going. Last winter I had some of the best times i've had in my ti in a parking lot of the restaurant I work at, it's a huge lot with all kinds of obstacles and it connects to 2 other different lots. My favorite is an enclosed parking lot that has only 2 entry points, I usually fly in one, do exactly what I said to do above, and drift about 220 feet until the other exit and go out smoothly, pretty much the biggest most precise u-turn I could find a place to do. We have a couple of serious racers here in my hometown in Canada but they rip honda's and cant even try to come out of a drift as smoothly as in a BMW. All my buddies from work and I close up the restaurant and every night, for about an hour I do circles around their pickups. Staying most of the time in 2nd or 3rd gear. Man these ti's, if I were rich, I'd buy 10 of them and head up north and just drift the rest of my days......such good times, can't wait for winter.

Anyone who lives around Montreal, Canada, PM me on the first snowfall cause my little town is drift central, we have drift comps every weekend, with plenty of cars and there's always some idiots with skis and snowboards wanting me to tow them up to a huge snowbank/jump(in their minds) and what am I gonna do....say no?

I'll post some videos this winter.
buddhajono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:42 AM   #19
HuGo

Aren't you worried you might slam into the wall? What happens if you would have slammed into that wall dusten? Yes i know your car is going to crush in but what i mean is, you pay for your expensives right?

Is it even possible for your car to just flip over? Its weird when i see people drift cuz they go very fast and start skidding, and im scared to go 40mph and pull the ebrake and just flip over.

When you auto-x, do you race alone or do you have like 2 or 3 cars with you at the same time?

So alaska says you cant drift (well where he goes) so im assuming in those turns you have to really slow down and shift down to 2nd and keep going right?

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:58 AM   #20
wirelessalpha

1. Slamming into the wall happens - and WILL happen if you are serious about getting your skills up.

2. E-brake drifting...is well.."technically" a drifting technique - I will agree that...but its really a basic technique. That said, there are times when it is needed. I usually just use my ebrake to control my angle...but alot of it has to do with reaction.

3. It is very possible for your car to flip over...it happens....even to pro's. Funny thing: At the last FormulaD event I was at, the announcer goes "hey man..that racer (insert name here..b/c I forgot)...man, at the last event we were at - the dude flipped it and kept drifting! now thats gangsta!". I kinda got a kick out of that one...

Hey Dusten, what kind of diff do you have on the 318ti? I'm very curious as to peoples current setup's on this forum. Also, ever try any Gymkhana? Would love to get my 318 out there on one of these events...hone some skills...etc.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:06 AM   #21
HuGo

so if you slam on the wall, you pay for your damage, of coarse i would assume so, but i know they have insurance, but what does the insurance cover?

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:25 AM   #22
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI View Post
Aren't you worried you might slam into the wall? What happens if you would have slammed into that wall dusten? Yes i know your car is going to crush in but what i mean is, you pay for your expensives right?
Probably. Insurance usually does not cover a timed competitive event.
Quote:
so if you slam on the wall, you pay for your damage, of coarse i would assume so, but i know they have insurance, but what does the insurance cover?
Who is they?
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:28 AM   #23
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessalpha View Post
Hey Dusten, what kind of diff do you have on the 318ti? I'm very curious as to peoples current setup's on this forum. Also, ever try any Gymkhana? Would love to get my 318 out there on one of these events...hone some skills...etc.
3.45 small case LSD. Waiting for it to explode....

I don't drift, this was at an autocross in the rain on a 1/4 track completely covered with tire rubber. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't keep it in line. I drive in the snow so I know how to hang the car out, this was just like that, just seemed to be the fastest way around the course that day.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:32 AM   #24
HuGo

They = Whoever is hosting the event.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 10-10-2006, 03:43 AM   #25
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
They = Whoever is hosting the event.
No. The hosting organization has insurance to protect them and to cover damage to the facility. It really buys legal counsel if someone sues them. You are on your own when it comes to your car.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:07 AM   #26
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
You are on your own when it comes to your car.
Thats obvious. Thanks for the info.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 10-10-2006, 04:44 AM   #27
wirelessalpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
3.45 small case LSD. Waiting for it to explode....
sweet! lol. I have the same anxiousness with my stock diff in my 240....

Old 10-12-2006, 10:16 PM   #28
Panzer_M

Btw, I drifted(on Roadcourse tracks and in rallies on 90' turns) with a 140hp(120whp?) and a LS. you do not need 180 or 340whp to drift, the back of the Ti in a turn is already loose compared to a coupe or saloon. I've also ended sideways on the track in turns when I messed up and I'd 360'd once into the grass when the rear end decided it wasn't going to game with me with crap tires.

Saturday I have a Hill climb with a bunch of e24/28s...I'm odd man out along with a M coupe. Depending on the route, if we do the new pavement it could get interesting.
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote