318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,911 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,818 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,122 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-25-2016, 04:10 PM   #1
nickmerronesucks

Default SAP Simulator?

Okay guys so all these threads I am finding are Dead picture wise. Does anyone actually make a SAP Simulator for a 98 318i? Manual swapped and deleted all the broken stuff on my girlfriends car. SAP was one of them. Every other sensor/part is new on this car and we are just trying to get rid of the check engine light for the SAP now

Any guidance would be appreciated.
nickmerronesucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:22 AM   #2
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmerronesucks View Post
Okay guys so all these threads I am finding are Dead picture wise. Does anyone actually make a SAP Simulator for a 98 318i? Manual swapped and deleted all the broken stuff on my girlfriends car. SAP was one of them. Every other sensor/part is new on this car and we are just trying to get rid of the check engine light for the SAP now

Any guidance would be appreciated.
I'm sorry there are missing pics. I started this thread and came up with the idea of the cheap SAP simulator. You can buy one for around $250.00 or make one for less than $20 with minor parts and soldering. Let me know what pics you need and I will post them.

Best John S
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:16 AM   #3
nickmerronesucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
I'm sorry there are missing pics. I started this thread and came up with the idea of the cheap SAP simulator. You can buy one for around $250.00 or make one for less than $20 with minor parts and soldering. Let me know what pics you need and I will post them.

Best John S
I dont mean to be a pain in the ass but could you pm me or post step by step instructions and pictures? And wire colors ? Haha. I wouldnt mind building it. I cant find any to buy for the 318i.
nickmerronesucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:46 PM   #4
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmerronesucks View Post
I dont mean to be a pain in the ass but could you pm me or post step by step instructions and pictures? And wire colors ? Haha. I wouldnt mind building it. I cant find any to buy for the 318i.

http://318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24461

Pictures are there with detail. Vega
Old 01-27-2016, 06:48 PM   #5
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Move to test stage:

1. First test continuity (Meter set to ohms) between DME and O2 wire with no voltage to unit and you should have a dead short. You are ensuring DME and O2 are connected together in the relay when there is no power. If good move to step 2

2. Apply voltage to simulator and listen for relay to click on. With simlator on test voltage positive lead on DME wire and Negative on battery ground. You should see 200mv or .200 volts or close to that. If not adjust the pot resistor to get 200mv or .2 volts on your meter when the unit is active. When completed disconnect power and the unit is tested and calibrated....Ready for install.

+/- connection: SAP positive to Simulator positive so it becomes active only when the SAP is called for by the DME. Negative to any good ground or SAP ground (Your choice ~ Ground is ground)

O2/DME connection: We are only looking for one wire to connect to. The upstream O2 signal...On my car 1997 BMW 318is the O2 signal is grey then goes to the plug and changes to a yellow on the way to the DME. This signal wire is the one we want to tap. You can tap Grey on the O2 or Yellow after the sensor plug which is still the O2 signal wire on it's way to the DME. Cut the signal wire and wire simulator wires O2 to O2 sensor and DME to the wire leading to the DME.

What we are doing here is only putting the simulator in line with that O2 signal wire to fool the DME when the SAP comes on.

Therory ~

When the DME calls for "SAP On" then it expects to see a lean condition on the upstream O2 sensor. If it doesn't see the lean condition from the SAP forcing fresh air in the exhaust it throws a CEL code. This is the only check for the SAP

SAP On ~ Simulator active. The simulator disconnects the O2 sensor from the DME and sends a false 200mv signal to the DME telling it the exhaust gas is very lean. The DME is "happy" since it expects this signal with the SAP on so no CEL or error codes.

SAP Off ~ Simulator off. DME calls for "SAP Off". The simulator when in a off state: When in the off state the relay is used as a pass through for the O2 signal wire so the O2 is connected like the wire was never cut. Car runs like normal and full Lambda conrtrol is active and car runs normal like nothing was ever changed.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:37 AM   #6
new318tifan

I think there may be a better way to delete the sap and many other emissions related equipment by installing a z3 DME. Posted about it in the engine subforum
new318tifan is offline   Reply With Quote