318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 104,464 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 67,532 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 64,834 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-14-2005, 03:20 AM   #1
swits

Default B Pillar paint

I have a few chips on my B pillar that I want to either touch up, or just repaint the whole thing. I'm wondering which way is the best, how to go about the process, and what type of paint and other supplies I'll need.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2005, 04:16 AM   #2
schussey

hmm, never thought about painting the B pillar. Due to a new idea that you brought about, you deserve a ......

B U M P

-chris
18'' Ace Wheels • Pirelli P7000 SS Tires • Bosal Brospeed Exhaust • B&M Short Throw Kit • H&R Sport Springs • Euro Clears • cat delete • Rogue Engineering Clutch Stop • Modded Airbox • blacked out kidney grilles • Suede Headliner/A Pillars

S52 CONVERSION UNDERWAY
schussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:31 AM   #3
JPerfect

yeah, the tart owner before me scratched the hell out of the drivers side bi pillar and the door (inside the crease) I have been wondering this as well.
JPerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:18 PM   #4
H3_2.1-ti

tis have an inherent problem with the paint peeling or cracking on the B pillars. I had mine removed and replaced by custom carbon fibre B pillars from VITESSE TUNING

Cheers,
H3_2.1-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 05:05 PM   #5
city

I would use SEM color coat aerosol. They match up very nice with factory colors and if you paint it right and arnt lazy on coats you will get a long lasting finish. Although a can is about 13 bucks, its high quality and used by alot of custom shops around my area.
DASC•Custom Black Leather Interior w/ Silver Inserts•AC Schnizter:Pedals/Shift Knob/E-Brake Handle•Aluminum Gauge Faces•Alpine Speakers/Tweeters•Custom False Floor System•K&N Filter•Hi-Flow Z3/ti 97’•M3 Clutch•Lightweight Flywheel•Turner Motorsports SSK•H&R Race Springs•Racing Dynamics:Front Strut Brace/Sway Bar/Shocks/Bodykit/Rear Spoiler•Brembo Cross-Drilled Rotors•Supersprint Exhaust•19” Seducer Wheels•M3 Mirrors•Clear Corner Lights/Side Markers•Euro Taillights•DZUZ Fastened•3.73 LSD
city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:33 PM   #6
clex2

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3_2.1-ti
tis have an inherent problem with the paint peeling or cracking on the B pillars. I had mine removed and replaced by custom carbon fibre B pillars from VITESSE TUNING

Cheers,
H3_2.1-ti,

I want to see! Care to share pics of you CF B-pillar covers? I have been looking for them for a long time and have yet to come across ones that fit the unique shape if the ti pillar. If they really are fit to the ti, I'm getting them.

Chris
clex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:27 AM   #7
mickd

Swits, after looking at your gallery I noticed your B-pillars are black as I believe all ti's are originally. I think you still have the foil covering on, and a common problem with ti's was that it would peel off. Mine started coming off about a year from when the car was new. The dealership would remove it for free, I believe there is a service note on it. You can remove it yourself. I would use a hair dryer to heat it slightly to get the adhesive soft, remove the foil, and clean any leftover adhesive with isopropyl alchohol. Then you should wash and wax the area. Beneath the covering it is painted the same color as the car. In my opininion the B-pillars matching the car looks better anyway.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:34 AM   #8
mickd

Here is one of many posts about the B-pillar foil from the old 318ti mailing list archive http://staff.connect.com.au/lheather.../msg00079.html
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:02 AM   #9
schussey

pics of CF B pillars!

-chris
18'' Ace Wheels • Pirelli P7000 SS Tires • Bosal Brospeed Exhaust • B&M Short Throw Kit • H&R Sport Springs • Euro Clears • cat delete • Rogue Engineering Clutch Stop • Modded Airbox • blacked out kidney grilles • Suede Headliner/A Pillars

S52 CONVERSION UNDERWAY
Old 05-23-2005, 04:01 AM   #10
swits

Thanks guys!

I'm gonna call the dealer tomorrow and see if they'll fix my paint for free. I want to keep my pillar black, though. I think it looks better with the tint.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:19 AM   #11
schussey

Good call on keeping the pillar black, would look much better that way.

-chris

S52 CONVERSION UNDERWAY
Old 05-23-2005, 01:24 PM   #12
H3_2.1-ti

Hey Guys,

Sorry for not responding sooner. I will post pcs of the CF pillars ASAP.

Cheers,

Engine: 2.1L Hartge conversion (bored to 86X91mm, ported & polished head, new valves, new crank, & upgraded ECU), Supersprint SS headers, Hartge exhaust, custom cat bypass (track), KV85 wires, Bosch platinum plugs, Vitesse cf spark plug cover, Vitesse cf CAI, Samco hoses, Fiamm air horns. Drivetrain: custom ssk, Vitesse adj. clutch stop, Redline D4 ATF & 75W90. Chassis: 18x8.5 Hartge Classics on 225/40/ZR18 Direzza DZ101s, 17x8 Hartge 7 spokes on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs and 17x9 Enkei MT1-R on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs(track), Vitesse 10mm spacers with cf/billet hub extenders, Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, Hartge sway bars & strut brace, urethane offset LCABs, Vitesse rsb, billet/urethane RSMs, X-brace, ATE BBK, ATE slotted rr. rotors, Goodridge ss. lines, ATE Superblue. Exterior: Violettschwarz, Hartge lip spoiler, window spoiler, hatch spoiler & mirrors, Vitesse cf door pillars, Vitesse cf fog light blanks (track), ZKW ellipsoids, HIDs in headlights, highbeams and foglights, and much more... Performance BMW Magazine feature car March 2003 www.vitessetuning.com
Old 05-26-2005, 05:41 PM   #13
H3_2.1-ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by clex2
H3_2.1-ti,

I want to see! Care to share pics of you CF B-pillar covers? I have been looking for them for a long time and have yet to come across ones that fit the unique shape if the ti pillar. If they really are fit to the ti, I'm getting them.

Chris
Hey guys,

Sorry it took so long for the pics. The weather has been crap here (raining for the last 5 days), so I could'nt take a pic of the CF pillars on my car. The good news is the guys at Vitesse Tuning were kind enough to email me a pic of the CF pillars. It's not the best quality picture, but you can still see how awesome the CF B-pillars look. VITESSE TUNING GENUINE CF B-PILLARS

Cheers,

Engine: 2.1L Hartge conversion (bored to 86X91mm, ported & polished head, new valves, new crank, & upgraded ECU), Supersprint SS headers, Hartge exhaust, custom cat bypass (track), KV85 wires, Bosch platinum plugs, Vitesse cf spark plug cover, Vitesse cf CAI, Samco hoses, Fiamm air horns. Drivetrain: custom ssk, Vitesse adj. clutch stop, Redline D4 ATF & 75W90. Chassis: 18x8.5 Hartge Classics on 225/40/ZR18 Direzza DZ101s, 17x8 Hartge 7 spokes on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs and 17x9 Enkei MT1-R on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs(track), Vitesse 10mm spacers with cf/billet hub extenders, Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, Hartge sway bars & strut brace, urethane offset LCABs, Vitesse rsb, billet/urethane RSMs, X-brace, ATE BBK, ATE slotted rr. rotors, Goodridge ss. lines, ATE Superblue. Exterior: Violettschwarz, Hartge lip spoiler, window spoiler, hatch spoiler & mirrors, Vitesse cf door pillars, Vitesse cf fog light blanks (track), ZKW ellipsoids, HIDs in headlights, highbeams and foglights, and much more... Performance BMW Magazine feature car March 2003 www.vitessetuning.com
Old 05-26-2005, 05:55 PM   #14
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3_2.1-ti
Hey guys,

Sorry it took so long for the pics. The weather has been crap here (raining for the last 5 days), so I could'nt take a pic of the CF pillars on my car. The good news is the guys at Vitesse Tuning were kind enough to email me a pic of the CF pillars. It's not the best quality picture, but you can still see how awesome the CF B-pillars look. VITESSE TUNING GENUINE CF B-PILLARS

Cheers,

It seems like you always post stuff for this website Vitesse Tuning,but when you go on there site there is only 5 things for sale and nothing that you've bought from them is actually posted on there site.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 06:10 PM   #15
H3_2.1-ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler
It seems like you always post stuff for this website Vitesse Tuning,but when you go on there site there is only 5 things for sale and nothing that you've bought from them is actually posted on there site.
Tyler,

When was the last time you visited their site? I know that they are re-launching it with all their new products. Last time I checked (last Monday), they added sections in their catalog for interior parts, brake parts, lighting parts and suspension parts. I guess they will be adding new parts bit by bit. They tend to put parts on EBay from time to time, but they have a lot more than what they show. If you need something, drop the man email. They are truly helpful and their service is great.

Cheers,